Reported Steam Linux Use Still Right Around 1.0%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Linux will eat windoze market share for breakfast when SteamBox comes out. The same as it did in mobile space. Where's windows in mobile? Nowhere.
    There was something called Nokia (I liked it), that was killed by Microsoft. Now I suppose it's buried in BSODs.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Yeah but are Windows people going to know how to do that? They're going to want something that "just works" with a simple install.
      I always get a kick out of the "Windows just works" comments when it comes to installation as people seem to forget the installation of a ton of drivers, antispyware, av and they still have to install their apps (in a far less convenient way of having to handle physical media).

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
        I hate Steam. Most of the PC games that I want now require Steam and force it on the user. I hate that there is no option. That is completely opposite of the whole user-choice philosophy of Linux.
        Indeed. I bought one game on Steam some years ago, saw just how awful it was compared to using the same game without DRM, and I'm not touching Steam with a 10-foot pole since then. Now that I'm using Linux as my primary OS, I see even less reason to tolerate any kind of DRM. The new XCOM looks nice, for instance, but since it's Steam exclusive ? I'd rather stick with UFO: Alien Invasion, which just so happens to work on Linux natively.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Maybe it's just a crazy theory, but it could be that the lack of Linux support by the warez scene (no cracked Linux games) contributes to people not using it. Or I might be talking BS.
        You're talking BS. If one pirates a game, they might as well pirate Windows while at it. It makes absolutely no sense to pirate Linux games, none at all.

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
        There was something called Nokia (I liked it), that was killed by Microsoft. Now I suppose it's buried in BSODs.
        The part of Nokia you liked is now known as Jolla

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I always get a kick out of the "Windows just works" comments when it comes to installation as people seem to forget the installation of a ton of drivers, antispyware, av and they still have to install their apps (in a far less convenient way of having to handle physical media).
          Which, again, is handled install time. VERY few instances of needing to adjust anything after initial install to make the program work. And driver installs are largely painless now, since Windows gets the latest certified driver automatically on device detection now.

And to be fair, Android is having its own AV/Spyware issues, far worse then Windows is at the moment. You should be happy you aren't targeted as much as OS's that are actually used by the public at large.

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
            Steam? PS4 just launched!
            And what? My PC eats it for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              You're talking BS. If one pirates a game, they might as well pirate Windows while at it. It makes absolutely no sense to pirate Linux games, none at all.
              No, he's not. They may pirate windows as well, but so what? In my opinion his point was many people want to play games for free. It's currently impossible on Linux. Not to mention there's just few serious games so far.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                Which, again, is handled install time. VERY few instances of needing to adjust anything after initial install to make the program work. And driver installs are largely painless now, since Windows gets the latest certified driver automatically on device detection now.

And to be fair, Android is having its own AV/Spyware issues, far worse then Windows is at the moment. You should be happy you aren't targeted as much as OS's that are actually used by the public at large.
                To be fair Android isn't desktop Linux. Desktop Linux is secure by design in most cases which isn't true for windows. Furthermore, Linux works out of the box when you use supported hardware. It's sometimes a real pita to make hardware work in windows properly. For example making Logitech wireless gamepad to work in windows 7 64bit isn't so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  Linux will eat windoze market share for breakfast when SteamBox comes out. The same as it did in mobile space. Where's windows in mobile? Nowhere.
                  Dammit don't feed the trolls....

On topic..
                  I don't give 2 turtle turds what that survey says as I am going broke buying games all the time. I know others like me that are starved for the Linux gaming experience and have been buying games they will never play just to show support. I would bet anything just like in HiB the Linux sale to game ratio is better than any other OS especially since many of us use wine which extends what we can play outside our own ecosystem.
                  Last edited by nightmarex; 02 December 2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    The part of Nokia you liked is now known as Jolla
                    Yes I know, and I love it But my Soul is with neo900.org project too

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

Just did a Win 8.1 install, didn't have the NIC driver, had to install it, after finishing the install after manually installing the NIC driver and running all the system updates there was still a lot of hardware with ? Or with bare minimal support. Only after installing the chipset drivers, the sound card, the NIC, updating the video drivers, etc was the hardware fully enabled. Same system on Linux required me to checkmark the nvidia repo. Done.

Comment

Working...
                      X