No announcement yet.

Painkiller Linux Dev Recommends Non-NVIDIA Open Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open source AMD drivers are rock solid and offer good quality. Once they reach OpenGL 3.3 and improve speed a little most people will ditch Catalyst. But the geometry shaders must be really hard otherwise they would have already completed their implementation.

Comment

Κ 3.12 rc5 here, 10.0 latest Mesa, openSuSE 12.3, Radeon HD 5850..

+
      2D is like silk in usage as well as compositing with Kwin and KDE 4.11...

3D is much improved as well as temperatures, UVD by VDPAU now works stable for all popular video player and DVB-T TV (Xbmc, VLC, Kaffeine through Xine2 engine, SMplayer2) SMplayer2 supports the most combinations of video profiles through VDPAU, DPM works flawlessly...

-
      Unigine demos are not rendered correctly, flash videos and adds in other than Google Chrome browser are problematic, no control panel, no tesselation, no Crossfire and overclock features.
      Last edited by djdoo; 20 October 2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

"This really shows how far open-source graphics has come, the progress made over the past year or two has been astounding."

<- Complementary smiley

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          The subject was about driver quality...

NVidia's driver is excellent under linux... had nothing to do with being opensource or not.

When we will be able to use the D3D9 state tracker with them as we can do with the open ones, or when WineD3D will be able to use the D3D compatibility extensions as found in OGL4.4 specs, then they will be something near good. Today is just another trash.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
            A lot of people still complain about both the open-source and binary blob from AMD. I wonder if those people that do and use the open-source drivers are running a 7000 series card? The R600 drivers are good and if you have a 6000> card you should have no problems, right? Or even the R600 can give you easter eggs? Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have an AMD card, just wanted to know the experience of other users.
            Well, I have two AMD graphics systems running Linux. One was my main desktop system with an HD 4890. When I used it, the OSS driver was always improving at a really fast pace. Last time I tried, Unreal Tournament 2004 ran well enough on OSS drivers that I had no reason for a while to use Catalyst at all. However, its performance was still a bit low, and really demanding games, like Expeditions: Conquistador, didn't really run that well (that said, on Catalyst, Expeditions:Conquistador had super slow text scrolling for some reason, which was not the case with OSS drivers). Later on I demoted that card to serve in my HTPC, and it's been running the OSS drivers without much issues. With DPM it will solve much of the last issues. The only one left will be UVD, but then that machine's processor is fast enough to handle videos in software anyway.

The other system is a netbook with a very low-end Evergreen APU. That one needs good power management, so it has been running Catalyst for the most part. Next time once I go around upgrading it, though, it will use the OSS drivers due to having DPM now. I have everything set up for OSS drivers in that system already, but I'll wait until LXDE-qt gets its first release before upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
              Unigine demos are not rendered correctly
              Unigine's fault.
              Code:
              force_glsl_extensions_warn=true
              is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                Unigine's fault.
                Code:
                force_glsl_extensions_warn=true
                is needed.
                You mean I can run them correctly with this line? How can I add it and where?

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                  You mean I can run them correctly with this line? How can I add it and where?
                  The fastest way, add before a game executable in a terminal. For Sanctuary or Tropics:
                  Code:
                  force_glsl_extensions_warn=true ./1024x768_windowed.sh

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                    The fastest way, add before a game executable in a terminal. For Sanctuary or Tropics:
                    Code:
                    force_glsl_extensions_warn=true ./1024x768_windowed.sh

Code:
                    ATTENTION: default value of option force_glsl_extensions_warn overridden by environment.
                    ATTENTION: option value of option force_glsl_extensions_warn ignored.
                    What does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      but I'll wait until LXDE-qt gets its first release before upgrading.
                      Oh man. That question has been bugging me for quite some time. Can't wait for the LaXorDE to come out!

Comment

Working...
                      X