Why A Popular Open-Source Game Isn't On Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    idtech is crap today. idtech was only good back in the 90s when games weren't that great.
    Wow, that is inflammatory.

And wrong.

Comment

Steam users did promote Warsow http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=125965803 last summer.
      Xenotic is not good as Warsow, few players play it.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
        Because Open-Source games S U C K ! ! 1 1 1 !

Open-source is a good thing as long as you don't become obsessed with it! (can you hear me community?)
        Go away kid, ya bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          Wow, that is inflammatory.

And wrong.
          It's only reality. If you don't like reality, then you shouldn't be talking about games here. Do you really think any idtech games or the engine itself is as great as the Source engine and Source engine games, for example? Not even close. Why don't you prove to an enthusiast gamer exactly why idtech and associated games aren't total crap.

Comment

It's only reality. If you don't like reality, then you shouldn't be talking about games here. Do you really think any idtech games or the engine itself is as great as the Source engine and Source engine games, for example? Not even close. Why don't you prove to an enthusiast gamer exactly why idtech and associated games aren't total crap.
            I can't speak for game quality, but Tech5 is far above Source as an engine. Tech4 is worse, but since Source is not open-source, that's not really a comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
              Go away kid, ya bother me.
              Close your browser...kid.

Comment

Because they are fun? Get your head out of your ass. I do not need to convince you of a preference, and I do not need to be a prick to things I don't care for or understand in order to prop up the things that I do. Only things that are truly deficient need this kind of treatment to justify themselves, and by doing so you embarrass them almost as much as you embarrass yourself.

Still, the fact that most id tech engines are now under the GPL and do not require an internet connection to play is a definite plus. And the fact that a huge swath of '90s titles still have gameplay, atmosphere, and even story telling that many modern games can't match is not a thought only I share.

And if that is going to make you write me off as a gaming enthusiast - despite sinking a whole lot of my time and money into the medium - simply because I choose to support and play the games I enjoy rather than meet your strange seal of approval, then you are the one denying reality.
                Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 15 October 2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  Because Open-Source games S U C K ! ! 1 1 1 !

Open-source is a good thing as long as you don't become obsessed with it! (can you hear me community?)

Riiiiight because no commercial game ever sucked.Who would have thought an Open Source game developed by volunteers might not be a good or take longer to be good as a commercial game.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocious View Post
                    Steam users did promote Warsow http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=125965803 last summer.
                    Xenotic is not good as Warsow, few players play it.
                    I've been meaning to play Warsow but looking at the stats it seems to have pretty much same number of players as Xonotic. As for Steam I personally think Xon should be promoted before 1.0 but you can't blame the dev for not wanting a half ass release set free and promoted to the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by end_user View Post
                      Riiiiight because no commercial game ever sucked.Who would have thought an Open Source game developed by volunteers might not be a good or take longer to be good as a commercial game.
                      To be fair, there are plenty of low budget indie games which are far better than the open source games available. One of the bad things about open source games currently in existence is they simply have no creative ideas. All the FPS games are just clones of a certain unnamed game, for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X