Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kano
    replied
    Btw. when you have got a good behaving ATI card, you just stop kdm, gdm or whatever you use, then

rmmod fglrx

and install other fglrx driver. After that start kdm/gdm again and it works. Only on my new system that does not work... When you switch from standard driver you do instead:

rmmod radeon drm

The same trick works for switching nvidia drivers, there you do of course:

rmmod nvidia

Leave a comment:

• Malikith
    replied
    My results with the demo were not good with a AGP x1600xt running in PCI mode haha, and no the 8.41 driver doesn't work for me, plus, it wouldn't save me anyway due to the PCIE-AGP bus issue. Basically, the demo loaded up, I went with minimum settings at 640x480 because I already knew I was doomed due to the drivers situation.

So I loaded up the demo map, and I was suprised how bad minimum detail really looked in this game haha. I was running at about 10 fps. I was going to take a screenshot but when I did, it hardlocked my system. So if 8.42 is any better, and fixes my issues, I will post my results here on the day the driver comes out.

Leave a comment:

• MU_Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    I your case i really would use 8.41.7 for gaming.
    All right, I'll give it a shot. It's not in Portage, but I'm a big boy

EDIT: 8.41.7 works a lot better than 8.40 did with gaming, too bad I had to restart my computer to install the driver (updated the kernel a while back and hadn't restarted in a month or so.) ETQW is now quite playable at 1600x1200 on my machine.
    Last edited by MU_Engineer; 19 October 2007, 12:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I your case i really would use 8.41.7 for gaming.

Leave a comment:

• MU_Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    The word "stable" is a bit overrated for ATI drivers. 8.40.4 fails to run google earth, 8.41.7 fails to run test 3/4 of gl2benchmark. 8.39.4 works mostly but slow... That means depending on the app you want to use you have to switch to the "best" fitting driver, very funny, isn't it...
    Yes, Google Earth does hang. I haven't had any other problems with ATi drivers since the XVideo crash bug was fixed on AMD64 in 8.34. I don't use Google Earth much on my desktop anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    The word "stable" is a bit overrated for ATI drivers. 8.40.4 fails to run google earth, 8.41.7 fails to run test 3/4 of gl2benchmark. 8.39.4 works mostly but slow... That means depending on the app you want to use you have to switch to the "best" fitting driver, very funny, isn't it...

Leave a comment:

• MU_Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    You'll just need to wait and find out, but I think most everyone should be pleased with 8.42.
    Yeah, my x1900GT (575/1200) was detected at 800x600 on the ETQW demo and at medium detail. I set it to my native 1600x1200 and it ran...like...molasses. Other games such as Sauerbraten run very well on the card, often hitting the 100-150-200 FPS ceiling they have. I guess I'll wait for 8.42 also as I'm on the last stable R580 driver- 8.40.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Valley (the demo), Slipgate, and Refinery are the maps that will be used.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well nobody says he could not use 2 or 3 maps to bench the game, but why not use the one that is in the demo too?

Leave a comment:

• Madnis
    replied
    Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
    Or unskewed... in that lower performing video cards would get more similar results to higher performing cards.
    Guess it's a matter of perspective....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X