ET:QW Linux Demo Coming TODAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well I would just use the demo map, as everybody could download your demo and test it himself.
    The demo map is relatively 'simple' compared to some of the other maps in terms of weather effects, water, and lighting. There are also other maps which make heavier use of foliage.

I agree with what you're saying, but testing with the demo only might give a skewed benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Madnis View Post
      The demo map is relatively 'simple' compared to some of the other maps in terms of weather effects, water, and lighting. There are also other maps which make heavier use of foliage.

I agree with what you're saying, but testing with the demo only might give a skewed benchmark.
      Or unskewed... in that lower performing video cards would get more similar results to higher performing cards.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
        Or unskewed... in that lower performing video cards would get more similar results to higher performing cards.
        Guess it's a matter of perspective....

Comment

Well nobody says he could not use 2 or 3 maps to bench the game, but why not use the one that is in the demo too?

Comment

Valley (the demo), Slipgate, and Refinery are the maps that will be used.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              You'll just need to wait and find out, but I think most everyone should be pleased with 8.42.
              Yeah, my x1900GT (575/1200) was detected at 800x600 on the ETQW demo and at medium detail. I set it to my native 1600x1200 and it ran...like...molasses. Other games such as Sauerbraten run very well on the card, often hitting the 100-150-200 FPS ceiling they have. I guess I'll wait for 8.42 also as I'm on the last stable R580 driver- 8.40.

Comment

The word "stable" is a bit overrated for ATI drivers. 8.40.4 fails to run google earth, 8.41.7 fails to run test 3/4 of gl2benchmark. 8.39.4 works mostly but slow... That means depending on the app you want to use you have to switch to the "best" fitting driver, very funny, isn't it...

Comment

The word "stable" is a bit overrated for ATI drivers. 8.40.4 fails to run google earth, 8.41.7 fails to run test 3/4 of gl2benchmark. 8.39.4 works mostly but slow... That means depending on the app you want to use you have to switch to the "best" fitting driver, very funny, isn't it...
                  Yes, Google Earth does hang. I haven't had any other problems with ATi drivers since the XVideo crash bug was fixed on AMD64 in 8.34. I don't use Google Earth much on my desktop anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

Comment

I your case i really would use 8.41.7 for gaming.

Comment

I your case i really would use 8.41.7 for gaming.
                      All right, I'll give it a shot. It's not in Portage, but I'm a big boy

EDIT: 8.41.7 works a lot better than 8.40 did with gaming, too bad I had to restart my computer to install the driver (updated the kernel a while back and hadn't restarted in a month or so.) ETQW is now quite playable at 1600x1200 on my machine.
                      Last edited by MU_Engineer; 19 October 2007, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X