X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Does it really matter tho? I don't think it does. I know that it works fine on Gentoo, and I assume that it works just as fine on other distros as well. Provided that it remains transparent I don't see it as being a problem.
    well what we're taking issue with is your statement of us having Ubuntu to thank for bringing it when that's so very clearly not the case.

Otherwise you're right in that it doesn't really matter what it was developed for as it works everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    blah fuckity blah blah...

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    No, that was the real question, I use 32-bit on 2 Athlon64 boxes that only have 2Gb of ram, for some strange reason I have had a very hard time dumpster diving computers to find more ram, I blame the news for running so many stories a while back on what metals are in the damn things, now instead of finding them with their wiring torn out and nothing else wrong with the parts themselves I don't find them at all anymore.

I've seen junkers that used to only pick up anything with any metals other then steel or iron unless it was something really big like an old cast iron bath tub for scrap, they used to just open computer cases and cut the power supply and data wires out. Now I see all kinds of electronics in their trucks as well as occasionally see piles of plastic housings and CRT tubes in alleys.

I'd like to see an X32 version of Mint, so I can have my cake and eat it too.
    There are some arguments for x32. The biggest one that makes sense is that you can use smaller pointers which reduces cache thrashing. But really I can't think of anything else. I just dont see the point when the only improvement to be had is theoretical and isnt likely to be a major factor in real applications. I suppose you could write a benchmark that would show the difference. But I doubt very much it would make any real difference in real applications.

EDIT: Check out ebay DDR2 is dirt cheap. At least one guy on there has a pretty big stock of G-skill DDR2-800. I know you can find at least 1GB modules, so if you have 4 slots than it could be possible to get 4GB total.
    Last edited by duby229; 18 March 2013, 10:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    No, Ubuntu was simply the largest target, it could have just as easily been Fedora, SuSE or any other distro that historically had at one time or another been the distro with the largest number of desktop users at a given time. Ubuntu just happened to be the distro with the most users this time around.
    Does it really matter tho? I don't think it does. I know that it works fine on Gentoo, and I assume that it works just as fine on other distros as well. Provided that it remains transparent I don't see it as being a problem.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Except that your whole premise is wrong to begin with. I never said that all ubuntu users are retards.. As a matter of fact I specifically clarified that point. It certainly isnt my fault that you arent capable of comprehending what was written or the context in which it was written.

Leave a comment:

• jayrulez
    replied
    Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    It was to say, that you could be seen as calling him a retard (rhetorically, of course), just as easily as he could be seen as calling all Ubuntu users retards.
    Yea, that was the intention.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    It was to say, that you could be seen as calling him a retard (rhetorically, of course), just as easily as he could be seen as calling all Ubuntu users retards.

Leave a comment:

• halfmanhalfamazing
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'm pretty sure the discussion was about why people use 32-bit OSs on x86_64 processors.
    Not all of it. But in any event, I apologize for the misreading.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    That may be true, but in the end it was Ubuntu they chose to implement on. But it works fine on Gentoo so I really don't mind.
    No, Ubuntu was simply the largest target, it could have just as easily been Fedora, SuSE or any other distro that historically had at one time or another been the distro with the largest number of desktop users at a given time. Ubuntu just happened to be the distro with the most users this time around.

Leave a comment:

• jayrulez
    replied
    Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    I already addressed your point, specifically:

And if you would read my post with a bit more intent to understand:

In other words, you're post could easily be interpreted as you calling him (and those like him), specifically, a retard, even though that is not exactly what you said. See the end of my last post.
    What was the point of your previous post?

Just to say it could be interpreted either way?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X