No announcement yet.

Linux Gamers Make Up ~2% Of Valve's Steam Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be interesting and important to also get numbers on what percentage of gamers on each platform get their games from Steam or associate their games with Steam. Mac may only be 3% of Steam users and Linux is rapidly catching up, but it needs to be determined how well that reflects the size of the overall gaming market on each platform. For example, I'd expect the Mac App Store is a significant source of games on that platform, possibly even larger than Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
      Mac may only be 3% of Steam users and Linux is rapidly catching up, but it needs to be determined how well that reflects the size of the overall gaming market on each platform. For example, I'd expect the Mac App Store is a significant source of games on that platform, possibly even larger than Steam.
      I don't get your point. Most (if not all) of such games are steam based, so it does't matter where they were bought. I'm glad to see Linux is killing another crapware.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        Arch 64 is probably under Linux 64 in survey?

Steam system information.
        ===================
        Operating System Version:
        Linux (64 bit)
        Kernel Name: Linux
        Kernel Version: 3.7.4-1-ARCH

At least that's what I would of guessed based on how steam sees it.

Wow, yeah that's what I felt like saying, right on.

My Arch Linux says it's Arch Linux, even with custom Kernel.

Operating System Version:
        "Arch Linux" (64 bit)
        Kernel Name: Linux
        Kernel Version: 3.7.10-1-ck
        X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
        X Server Release: 11302901
        X Window Manager: KWin
        Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime-release-i386_2013-02-22

Comment

2% is probably not something that will keep them sustaining a linux-market. Their linuxgamebox thing is interesting, and if that is what they want to do, ofcourse they can try to build their own market. They are a large actor afterall. It would probably be great for enthusiasts to have control of the OS all the way, make their own version, and even bundle it, if they want, presenting things exactly how they wish.

See also my post on low-jitter config linux, for ubersmooth gfx. http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=2268

Peace Be With You.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            I don't get your point. Most (if not all) of such games are steam based, so it does't matter where they were bought. I'm glad to see Linux is killing another crapware.
            I'm thinking of some AAA games like Borderlands 2, Civilization V, etc. I'm not sure if Apple actually has a policy against Steam integration on the Mac App Store or if developer choices, like some assumption that if you are using the Mac App Store you'd also prefer Game Center integration, results in Steam getting removed, but there are games bought on the App Store can only be played in multiplayer against other App Store players and not with a Steam bought version and the licenses are not cross-transferrable so Steam would never see them. Feral, one of the major Mac porting houses, doesn't offer their games on Steam at all since they don't want to be part of SteamPlay. They're responsible for many of the major AAA games coming to Mac like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Napolean: Total War, F1 2012, Batman: Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a bunch of LEGO games, etc. so they would draw a lot of eyeball time away from Steam. I guess they believe a large part of their potential customers already own the Windows version of the game so it wouldn't be sustainable to do the porting and then give them all the Mac version for free. These more difficult conditions for Steam on Mac may be one reason why Valve is focusing on Linux in their efforts to open up an alternative revenue stream to Windows.

Comment

seems the link I was trying to post did not get posted, so here are game devs given stats of their Linux sales:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsD...le_Results.php

Comment

Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
                I guess they believe a large part of their potential customers already own the Windows version of the game so it wouldn't be sustainable to do the porting and then give them all the Mac version for free.
                That doesnt make much sense to me if they really believed a large part of their potential customers already own the Windows version surely they would not risk porting a game hoping that they would pay for the game again just to have a mac version. More likely Apple is giving them a good deal in their store to make sure that games are only available via their own store.
                Last edited by timothyja; 02 March 2013, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
                  2% is probably not something that will keep them sustaining a linux-market.
                  Thats up up from just around 1% in January which is great growth. Its a bit early to be making any calls on sustaining a Linux market, I'm sure Valve wouldnt have wasted this much effort if it didnt believe it could build a large market. I'm sure it still has a few aces ups its sleeve yet.

Comment

linux gamers are a sad pathetic bunch

throw them a 10 year

HELL 10??

like 14 year old title

CSTRIKE ANYONE?

throw them a 14 year old title and they will suck dick in bus stops just so they can buy it.

you all make me sick

get me black ops 2, then

THEN

I will consider

Comment

Break down

Let's break it down even smaller. The following guy had more sales on Linux than Mac, 16%. Defender's Quest

Yes more people use Windows, but when XP and 7 finally have their support ended, the people using those Microsoft platforms will be forced into using precisely what they are avoiding, the 'modern' interface. It's going to be interesting to watch if they move to Mac, Linux or suck up to Microsoft and push themselves into that new UI.

Let's say they pushed themselves into that new UI. Now after months and years of using that, they will be hooked into it by Microsoft's hooks. At that point, switching to Mac or Linux would be extremely difficult due to the extreme UI differences. It would be devastating for the future of Linux without a similar UI, that's what worries me. For Linux to have any future, the users of these OS's which support is ending, need to jump in our (Linux) lake and let their feet get wet.

That's how I'm thinking, it may be difficult for some to understand what I mean. In any case, Defender's Quest shows that there is money in the Platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X