Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Can Now Be Repackaged In Linux Distributions

Phoronix: Steam Can Now Be Repackaged In Linux Distributions

Back in mid-November there were concerns about packaging Valve's Steam Linux client by Linux distributions that allow binary blobs to reside within their package repositories. In particular, Arch Linux developers were unsure whether they were legally allowed to put Steam into one of their repositories for each re-distribution. Valve has now said it's okay by clarifying their license...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not so impressed with the number of titles available but excited that steam client developement is progressing nicely.

Comment

I miss some benchmarks. Michael, you're still not allowed to post them, or are you waiting on something else?

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
        I miss some benchmarks. Michael, you're still not allowed to post them, or are you waiting on something else?
        There's been some issues with the Steam client in terms of automation. I haven't checked in a couple weeks though to see if the issues I hit were resolved. Basically, Steam wouldn't exit cleanly after test execution.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          There's been some issues with the Steam client in terms of automation. I haven't checked in a couple weeks though to see if the issues I hit were resolved. Basically, Steam wouldn't exit cleanly after test execution.
          JUST DO IT. Even if it means doing it manually

I am really curious to see how it runs with the open drivers.

Comment

There were some concern with openSUSE too, but I managed to bring the right people form SUSE (not openSUSE) and Valve together.

The rpm for opensuse has returned:

Comment

Now if Debian takes this it should go into the non-free repo..would be great if a .deb is provided too

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                There were some concern with openSUSE too, but I managed to bring the right people form SUSE (not openSUSE) and Valve together.

The rpm for opensuse has returned:

http://software.opensuse.org/package/steam
                Seems a little out dated in Arch [multilib] the latest version is 1.0.0.25 not 22.

Comment

@DeepDayze

For systems with older libc6 just run my script as root + user, if you use libc6 from experimental only as root:

I wrote the first version of this script as soon as it was discovered that you don't need a beta account to use steam I even packaged fglrx-legacy 13.1 and fglrx 13.2 beta 3 for Kanotix Dragonfire... of course with full kernel 3.8 support.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Seems a little out dated in Arch [multilib] the latest version is 1.0.0.25 not 22.
                    I have not tried nor tested this link.

Steam is working fine though, I installed steam when it still was on the open build service, from opensuse.

Then last week updated it, with the installer script, which is no longer available.

Because I have nothing to do with the making of the rpm, I have no idea why an older version of Arch is used.

I am just a openSUSE user, who noticed nobody was talking with Valve, so I stepped in and solved that.

Comment

Working...
                    X