Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carmack Pushes Wine For Linux Gaming

Phoronix: John Carmack Pushes Wine For Linux Gaming

John Carmack, the co-founder of id Software and lead developer of the id Tech engine for the Doom and Quake franchises, is now promoting Wine for Linux gaming rather than native Linux ports...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I may quote my self from a Google+ comment:

What is this? Did he every try Wine with a bunch of games?

Furthermore, to write software for one platform and hoping for wrappers/emulators (whatever) on other platforms to execute it doesn't replace sane software engineering. In fact, it's the opposite.

I mean - just dare to write that sentence in a cs exam.

Comment

wine is good. but dont we have the right to get a native port, so we wont have alot of trouble getting our games and applications to work? this is just stupid. i wont support id software anymore! grr...

Comment

I presume if a game is developed/tested with Wine in mind, it would have near the same quality as windos release.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          I presume if a game is developed/tested with Wine in mind, it would have near the same quality as windos release.
          wine takes up to much cpu power. if it runs native. it will run alot smoother than with wine.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
            wine takes up to much cpu power. if it runs native. it will run alot smoother than with wine.
            I run a few games with wine (NFSPU, COH, AOEII and Warcraft III) sure they are not last generation games but they run fine considering my PC specs, clearly I am just a casual gamer not a hardcore one.

Comment

Smells like excuse for not porting Rage.

Comment

It must have been a hard fight/time for TTimo.
                No wonder he left...

Did he port the games in his "spare time"?
                I can hear Carmack say "Well, I don't think it's a good idea, but if you insist to port it - go ahead."

Comment

Well Rage and Doom 3 BFG run fine with wine (mainly in Nvidia hardware) but i would like to see em natively in Steam as well.

Comment

Furthermore, to write software for one platform and hoping for wrappers/emulators (whatever) on other platforms to execute it doesn't replace sane software engineering. In fact, it's the opposite.

I mean - just dare to write that sentence in a cs exam.
                    That comment would stand up better if Windows were more open and predictable. I gather much of Wine is based on reverse-engineering and guesswork.

Comment

Working...
                    X