Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve, Xi3 Show Off Mini Linux Gaming PC "Console"

Phoronix: Valve, Xi3 Show Off Mini Linux Gaming PC "Console"

Making the rounds today is word that Xi3 and Valve have partnered up. Xi3 is a computer hardware manufacturer known for making small PCs and now in conjunction with Valve they are working on a "Steam Box" that's codenamed Piston...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll take 3.

You could fit about 20 of them into my current desktop box.

Comment

I really like the rear-panel expandability of that thing. Tons of USB[23]/e-SATA, HDMI/DP, Ethernet. I didn't see if the motherboard had embedded flash storage, but I'm assuming enough for an OS + a few games... If not, there's still 4 e-SATA ports on there.

I don't know anything about the actual hardware specs, but I'm assuming an AMD APU or something highly integrated. Hopefully we'll find out more soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        I really like the rear-panel expandability of that thing. Tons of USB[23]/e-SATA, HDMI/DP, Ethernet. I didn't see if the motherboard had embedded flash storage, but I'm assuming enough for an OS + a few games... If not, there's still 4 e-SATA ports on there.

I don't know anything about the actual hardware specs, but I'm assuming an AMD APU or something highly integrated. Hopefully we'll find out more soon.
        According to http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849...-steam-box-xi3

Xi3?s new X7A Modular Computer is designed specifically for gamers, engineers and power users. Housed in the standard Xi3 chassis that measures 4.27?3.656?3.656-inches, the X7A Modular Computer packs a real wallop, especially for a machine roughly the size of a grapefruit that draws a mere 40Watts of power.

The X7A Modular Computer is available with up to

A quad-core 64-bit, x86-based 32nm processor running at up to 3.2GHz (with 4MB of Level2 Cache),

An integrated graphics processor (GPU) containing up to 384 programmable graphics cores (or shaders),

4GB?8GB of DDR3 RAM,

64GB?1TB of internal solid-state SSD storage (with up to 12Gbps throughput speeds),

Three display ports providing maximum resolution of 4096?2160 (including 1 DisplayPort v1.2 and 2 Mini-DisplayPorts v1.2),

Four eSATAp 3.0 ports,

Four USB 3.0 ports,

Four USB 2.0 ports,

1Gb Ethernet port, and

Three audio ports (1 input and 2 outputs: 1 copper and 1 optical).

Designed to be used as a standalone machine or in clustered configurations, the X7A will run any x86-based Operating System, including Windows 8 and lower, Linux, UNIX, etc. Prices for quad-core versions of the X7A Modular Computer will begin at $1,100, with General Availability starting in February 2013.

Comment

Not really seeing how Linux gets any love out of this. Everybody would just install Windows.

Besides, if Valve doesn't have a unified OS for a "Steam Box" concept, game publishers wouldn't target Linux.

Nevertheless, AMD + Linux = do not want.

Comment

I like the modularity but wonder if other manufacturers will be able to provide upgrades to the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Not really seeing how Linux gets any love out of this. Everybody would just install Windows.

Besides, if Valve doesn't have a unified OS for a "Steam Box" concept, game publishers wouldn't target Linux.

Nevertheless, AMD + Linux = do not want.
              This is not Steambox but a piece of hardware sponsored by Valve. For excercise I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Sounds like an AMD APU to me. The high frequency, 32nm fab, and 384 shader cores give it away. If it were intel, all 3 of those would be lower.

@johnc
                Why would it matter if it was AMD based? Everyone who has problem with AMD GPUs today are because they improperly set it up, something isn't fully updated, they have an HD4000 or older, or they just happen to have a program/game that doesn't run perfectly. I've been using the catalyst drivers for a while now and I never get any of the problems people complain about.

Comment

I will never buy any PC with any kind of ATI/AMD card ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Sounds like an AMD APU to me. The high frequency, 32nm fab, and 384 shader cores give it away. If it were intel, all 3 of those would be lower.
                    Right, it's AMD Trinity http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...a/posts/321923

Comment

Working...
                    X