Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Statistics On Steam Linux Usage

Phoronix: First Statistics On Steam Linux Usage

Valve has released their December Steam statistics that show initial data on Linux client usage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A healthy chuck of Linux Users is probably part of the 0,71 % Other OS. If you look at the "What's your current Distro and Desktop Enviroment"- Thread which has way almost 2000 posts there are craploads of Mint, Fedora and Arch Users in there. Mint also is recognized as seperate OS in the "System Information" and not declared as Ubuntu. It's unlikely that non of the other distros beat 12.10 32-Bit in terms of market share.
    Last edited by blackout23; 05 January 2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I have a few questions:

I guess those values are averaged over a certain time.
      1. When did Valve take the data?
      2. What about other Linux distros?
      3. How do you come up with the 1% value if you don't have further information?

Comment

I suspect that when it goes out of beta and more games are available it will rise dramatically.The fact is that right now alot of games that are available on steam and ARE ported to linux are not available on steam. They need to fix that. If it has a linux client then they need to make it available to linux users. That will do a ton to help. They can't sell something that they dont offer.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          When did Valve take the data?
          December 2012
          What about other Linux distros?
          Not listed.
          How do you come up with the 1% value if you don't have further information?
          Simple math? Have you even checked the steam statistic side? Cause all your questions are answered there.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          A healthy chuck of Linux Users is probably part of the 0,71 % Other OS.
          While I would love this I don't think so. If you have a look at the numbers (percentage vs. change) you see that all Ubuntu numbers came from 0. For Other OS it is 0.71 percentage but only 0.14 change, so this 0.14 is the max of linux users (while I would guess it's more like 0.04).

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
            Simple math? Have you even checked the steam statistic side? Cause all your questions are answered there.
            Oh well, I missed the 'OS' item is clickable.
            Should've read that statistics page more carefully, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
              While I would love this I don't think so. If you have a look at the numbers (percentage vs. change) you see that all Ubuntu numbers came from 0. For Other OS it is 0.71 percentage but only 0.14 change, so this 0.14 is the max of linux users (while I would guess it's more like 0.04).
              How do you know that it is 0.14 max? That would mean besides the Linux users, nothing has changed for "Other OS". Do you really think, that's the case?

Comment

There are more Linux users than Windows XP 64Bit users

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I suspect that when it goes out of beta and more games are available it will rise dramatically.The fact is that right now alot of games that are available on steam and ARE ported to linux are not available on steam. They need to fix that. If it has a linux client then they need to make it available to linux users. That will do a ton to help. They can't sell something that they dont offer.
                  I suspect the same. 1% while there's only beta and few games is a very good result!

Comment

Having Steam on Linux is a good start but without major games I don't think Steam will change the picture significantly. Also I wonder how non-Ubuntu distributions will affect the numbers and how exactly does (or did) Valve count Steam on Wine?

Comment

Working...
                    X