Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

Phoronix: Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

The Video Game Awards happened on Friday night in California. During the event, Gabe Newell of Valve commented a bit more on their next-generation console / living room PC plans. To no surprise, Linux plays a big role...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Gabe Talks More About Valve's Next-Gen Linux Console

The Video Game Awards happened on Friday night in California. During the event, Gabe Newell of Valve commented a bit more on their next-generation console / living room PC plans. To no surprise, Linux plays a big role...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0Njk
    that may be the very first game console I'll buy. But then again, there is nothing that beats playing a game with a keyboard and a mouse (or, in certain situations, a Joystick)

The moment I look at those controllers that are used on gaming consoles, my hands start to hurt.

Comment

Kotaku is not news, but then, it's not like we haven't been speculating that this is the real case why Valve is playing with Linux....

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
      that may be the very first game console I'll buy. But then again, there is nothing that beats playing a game with a keyboard and a mouse (or, in certain situations, a Joystick)

The moment I look at those controllers that are used on gaming consoles, my hands start to hurt.
      They may look weird, but seriously, they are very good and comfortable. In fact, I'd say the best controller you can buy for a PC is a Xbox 360 controller.

But if Gaben wants to put FPSes in the living room, I really do wonder how does he plan to bridge the chasm between PC and console FPS gaming (the amount of control you have over your character). Because it may end up as with all games that had such ideas first: separate servers for both platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post

I think you can't determine, which control style is the best for gaming. I.e. for FPS and RTS, Mouse&Keyboard are best, for Beat 'em Ups, Action Adventures (especially the Hack 'n Slay-ish ones) or Racing Games, a Gamepad is preferable. There are also genres, where both controls work well, such as TPS.

Originally posted by tomato View Post
        They may look weird, but seriously, they are very good and comfortable. In fact, I'd say the best controller you can buy for a PC is a Xbox 360 controller
        I can confirm that. The PS3 controller works pretty good as well, although it might need a bit more time to fine tune calibrations.
        Last edited by alexThunder; 09 December 2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotaku
          He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year?setups that
          could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate.
          And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.
          So basically this is in line what Newell said some month ago:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-epi...o/gt-tv-valve*[2:58]

There probably won't be THE SteamBox from Valve you can buy, like an XBox 360, the PS3, Wii X, but "conforming"
          PC-based hardware from other companies that you can hook up to your TV and run Steam Big Picture.
          Most likely there will be systems based on Windows and Linux.

Comment

Full Steam Ahead.

Comment

Basically that was what most ppl expected after the Linux announcement but to be successfull against the win eco system they need to convince more AAA players in the gaming world to port the games - otherwise it will be a niche product. Currently mainly smaller studios port the games. Also don't forget they most likely will rely on amd products and amd is well known for the Linux driver quality, intel+nvidia would be way too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Basically that was what most ppl expected after the Linux announcement but to be successfull against the win eco system they need to convince more AAA players in the gaming world to port the games - otherwise it will be a niche product. Currently mainly smaller studios port the games. Also don't forget they most likely will rely on amd products and amd is well known for the Linux driver quality, intel+nvidia would be way too expensive.
                You think Valve is that serious about Linux? If they make a x86 console running Linux, that would definitely lead several AAA publisher to support Linux as gaming platform. Of course, the device had to be succesful in sales, but since Valve and Steam are pretty big and well received names, I gues that should work. Still, that seems a lot of effort just for boosting Linux support Oo

Comment

If they do come out with an x86 Linux console thats sold in Wal-mart, Best Buy, etc. Then linux support will be a much higher priority for hardware developers and software developers.

Comment

Restricted console hardware is not a good future. Steam is doing a favor to everyone if they chose PC hardware for a console.

Comment

Working...
                    X