• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    This is ridiculous!

PS. DRM is in all forms evil, no exceptions. Developers should change form to authenticate and demand money and platform should implement the global policy.
    However, given the current disrespect towards Linux, Steam platform is more than welcome!

Leave a comment:

• FutureSuture
    replied
    Since GOG keeps getting mentioned...

Leave a comment:

• a user
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    You run your own mailserver??
    stupid question! and actually unrelated. i know why you are asking it but you are totally wrong. it isn't by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the same, not even close.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Well good for you for selling your email contacts and email contents to google. And game contacts + conversations + other data to Valve.
    You run your own mailserver??

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Yes, Steam is not perfect. But it's still great imho.
    Of course, you're not forced to swallow the bitter pill of DRM but let's face it:
    There is NO other company/platform capable of convincing big game companies to provide Linux binaries.
    Sure, the outcome is yet to be seen. But I'm confident...

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    You can download the GoG Downloader to download games from your collection, get notified of updates (both to games and extra content). The key word is "can", since the enable you to download games through the web interface purely, and you don't have to touch their downloader. What you download is a standalone executable (installer), which you then install where you see fit. (Have you ever tried to force steam to install some game to another hard drive? Not friendly at all...) This is IMO the "right" way to do game distribution, and where my money will be going for the time being. Even the fact that they don't run natively on linux yet doesn't dissuade me...
    Well, as I said, Desura also allows you to buy and download your games completely independently from their online interface but it also allows you to use their client if you wish, which is now openly developed and runs natively on Linux, selling native Linux titles. The client will notify you of game updates, manage your games, and offer you some community features (not as extensive as Steam mind, but still useful). This seems like almost the same thing as what you are describing, but with the added benefit that it works natively on Linux and that it actively works with the FOSS community, unlike GOG for the moment.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    I'm sure when GOG will start focusing on Linux they'll release the Linux version as well.
    That is the thing though - they haven't. All they have done so far is dance around the question. I like the concept of GOG, but until is supports Linux I have to say no to it just as much as I am saying no to Steam. There are other alternatives.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 19 November 2012, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by Deavir View Post
    http://www.gog.com/forum/general/lis...on_steam/page1

GOG forums has a running list but there is no way to know using the steam search client.
    That's a downside and enough of a reason for me to avoid Steam.

Originally posted by a user View Post
    the need of a controlling online client all this are absolute no goes for me. it also enforces your contry limitiations no matter where you bought the game from.
    Regional limitations are a very big no go. This kind of DRM is very annoying. GOG by the way have flat rates across countries and no regional restrictions.

You can download the GoG Downloader to download games from your collection, get notified of updates (both to games and extra content). The key word is "can", since the enable you to download games through the web interface purely, and you don't have to touch their downloader. What you download is a standalone executable (installer), which you then install where you see fit. (Have you ever tried to force steam to install some game to another hard drive? Not friendly at all...)
    This is IMO the "right" way to do game distribution, and where my money will be going for the time being. Even the fact that they don't run natively on linux yet doesn't dissuade me....
    I fully agree. There is a project to write a community made GOG downloader (see https://github.com/lhw/gogdownloader). I'm sure when GOG will start focusing on Linux they'll release the Linux version as well.
    Last edited by shmerl; 19 November 2012, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    I don't even bother without Steam when gaming (on Windows and Linux). Steamworks is just a must for community chat, joining friends' servers and playing together, saving savegames and screenshots in the cloud, doing backups, getting updates automatically etc.. This is 2012, I don't want to look for where I can get my games and extract the .run or .sh and look if it's the newest version... Steam is simply the best solution for gaming hands down. It's like using your Google account for GMail. It works perfect.
    Well good for you for selling your email contacts and email contents to google. And game contacts + conversations + other data to Valve.

Leave a comment:

• Chaosenemy
    replied
    Another option not possible with Steam is playing LAN games. The times when each brought one game and we tried each one are gone with steam.
    It's entirely possible. The restriction is just that a Steam account can only be in online mode on one computer at a time. Unless of course it's a game that requires an online connection or user log on within the game itself. Ubisoft and EA games are famous for this, and a few others here and there, like Borderlands. Steam itself won't stop you from playing offline LAN games though.

Leave a comment:

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    I don't even bother without Steam when gaming (on Windows and Linux). Steamworks is just a must for community chat, joining friends' servers and playing together, saving savegames and screenshots in the cloud, doing backups, getting updates automatically etc.. This is 2012, I don't want to look for where I can get my games and extract the .run or .sh and look if it's the newest version... Steam is simply the best solution for gaming hands down. It's like using your Google account for GMail. It works perfect.
    You're right, games too need package management. Which is exactly what the gog downloader does.
    As many others here, my beef with Steam is that the client must be running in order for you to launch any game. GoG took the extra step and created a pure distribution platform.Meaning :
    You can download the GoG Downloader to download games from your collection, get notified of updates (both to games and extra content). The key word is "can", since the enable you to download games through the web interface purely, and you don't have to touch their downloader. What you download is a standalone executable (installer), which you then install where you see fit. (Have you ever tried to force steam to install some game to another hard drive? Not friendly at all...)
    This is IMO the "right" way to do game distribution, and where my money will be going for the time being. Even the fact that they don't run natively on linux yet doesn't dissuade me...

Serafean

PS : as a bonus, you can write an alternative GOG downloader if you wish (desktop integration anyone?). The GOG guys are my heroes.

Edit : Another option not possible with Steam is playing LAN games. The times when each brought one game and we tried each one are gone with steam.
    Last edited by Serafean; 19 November 2012, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X