Valve's L4D2 Is Faster On Linux Than Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
    Good question. AFAIK they will be at the OpenGL Birds of a Feather Wednesday, 8 August 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm | JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live - Gold Ballroom Salon 3 . Any additional info? Slides, video, live streaming?
    They answered a similar question on their blog.

peter_2 says:
    August 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

Will a video of the SIGGRAPH presentation be made available on this blog?
    I would really like to watch it, because I cannot attend it in person.
    Valve Linux team says:
    August 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Great idea. We?ll make our information available in whatever form we can.

Comment

• A DX to GL wrapper? Isn't that how Wine handles D3D games and software? What would be the point with another one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
        A DX to GL wrapper? Isn't that how Wine handles D3D games and software? What would be the point with another one?
        I think its probably somewhat different actually. I'm certaintly no expert, but I in WINE imagine theres some hackage where black box calls are intercpeted and coverted, whilst putting an abstraction in your engine is probably a bit more straight forward and sensible. Its probably not VERY different, but different enough. It depends on specifics though, something that'd take someone with actual knowledge to answer.

More importantly though, WINE does a hell of a lot more than translating D3D to OpenGL and it tackles a wide base not a specific engine. Personally, I honestly don't care how its done, as long as its on par with the Windows version.

Comment

Working...
        X