ioquake3 Developers Working On "baseio" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julius View Post
    And good artists will not contribute to a project with such bad art out of pity. Good art attracts more good artists, or good ideas and next to no art (but good programmers) does. As this project has neither I am rather sceptical about it.
    I agree, at best you get medium artists.

I might contribute my self if they had a compelling idea for a game. That by the way seams to be what is needed to get decent artists onboard, and I'm not just speaking out of my ass here:

Comment

I would rather see it with id Tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) rather than the old Quake III engine.

Also, I think CC-nc-by-sharealike is too restrictive. CC-SA is more free, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
        Why isn't bloody iodoom3 used?
        I agree, it's insane to choose ioquake at the present time, and make YAQS (yet another quake shooter). iodoom3 is really aching to get some games connected to it, and these people (perhaps) choose to ignore it. But I don't know they have considered it, perhaps they have, and decided that it doesn't suit the project?
        Last edited by Azpegath; 04 June 2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

The main difference betwean the two is that ioquake3 has softershadows and a lower hardware requirement.

Comment

If you want an FPS that will look professional, then check OverDose

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
              If you want an FPS that will look professional, then check OverDose
              I wonder why they use a heavily beefed up id Tech 2 (Quake II) engine instead of using id Tech 3 or 4.

Either way, I wouldn't fund anything that's not open source.

Comment

They started of before Tech 4 was released. Not sure about Tech 3. There engine seams to be some where in between Tech 4 and 5 now.

As for opensource, woudn't they be requred to release there source when they relase the game as Tech 2 is GPL, or did they actually get a Tech 2 license?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  They started of before Tech 4 was released. Not sure about Tech 3. There engine seams to be some where in between Tech 4 and 5 now.
                  So is their engine the most advanced open source engine atm?

As for opensource, woudn't they be requred to release there source when they relase the game as Tech 2 is GPL, or did they actually get a Tech 2 license?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they would. The license say you have to release the code. GPL is copy-left (share-alike).

Comment

OT about Overdose: They actually thought about getting an idtech2 license to not release the code and now seem to have very reluctantly set up a repository some time ago:
                    Download OverDose for free. OverDose is a team and objective based multiplayer first person shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world.

It's hard to even find it, as it is nowhere linked on their site I think.
                    If it is the most advance OS engine I am not so sure about...

OT2: @AJenbo: You have any insight if NuclearDawn will be released for Linux, once source and steam arrives?
                    Last edited by Julius; 04 June 2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks all links i could find where 404'ed.

I havent heard of any linux plans for ND, but the current team used to have pretty good connection with valve so I would say there is a chance they might get interested. I'll try and see if I can get some info. They seam to have only limited success so question is if they have the resources to make the port.

Comment

Working...
                      X