Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humble Indie Bundle V Launches

Phoronix: Humble Indie Bundle V Launches

The fifth Humble Indie Bundle is now available with the usual pay-what-you-want, cross-platform, DRM-free gaming criteria...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, its probably the best Humble edition to date.

Comment

And even better, it's available for Windows, mac and .. ummm.. what was the third one?

Android?

Comment

Plan 9 from Bell Labs probably

Comment

And as usual some game won't work out-of-the-box. Bastion menu screen is just blackness... with ye-old g45 graphics
          Superbrother is charming! And Limbo is a also great, although the packaging... wtf?? haven't tried the others yet

Comment

it's selling faster than hot buns! holy sh*t! and what's with all the Mac people? wake your Linux buddies and start buyin!

Comment

I'm decidedly unhappy.. apparently, Limbo isn't actually a linux version so much as the windows version packaged up in a crossover wine bottle. Just to make it a little more annoying, it doesn't even run, even though Limbo ran well for me in my system's version of wine.. it just crashes. Nice. I might as well just continue using the steam version in wine..

If I knew they were going to do that, I wouldn't have picked up the bundle, because I already own the games in it that I want and intend to play.. I was paying a second time for actual linux copies.

At least Bastion runs for me, unlike some others' experience. It is definitely easily playable, but it seems to be a little laggy compared to the windows version.. and I'm not even using compositing in my DE + I'm running on the proprietary nvidia drivers (xfce on a medium-high-end machine). As one might expect if you've tried in vain to get Bastion running in wine, it seems to run using mono. I don't know what to think of that, but considering how heavily the game appears to rely on .net stuff and doesn't cut further corners and at least works, I'm inclined to let that go..

Ftr, I have no opinion regarding mono one way or the other and I like and frequently use wine. I'm coming at this from the "Is this a good port I'm glad to (re)pay for?" angle.

Comment

Ok, installed Limbo...
                Right on start it quit with the following error:

Video card is below minimum system requirement. You need a video card with at least Shader Model 3.0
                Hooray! \o/

Radeon HD 4850 - libdrm+mesa from latest git.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Ok, installed Limbo...
                  Right on start it quit with the following error:
                  While I wouldn't mind wine if it worked, this obfuscates the error. WTF is shader model 3.0 in opengl terms?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    While I wouldn't mind wine if it worked, this obfuscates the error. WTF is shader model 3.0 in opengl terms?
                    This is not a WINE message. Sorry for being misleading.
                    The message is generated by limbo (in a pop-up window).

Apparently, it is a long standing issue.
                    Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

Comment

Working...
                    X