Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedega To Be Replaced By GameTree Linux Software

Phoronix: Cedega To Be Replaced By GameTree Linux Software

Here's something interesting, but all of the details are not yet known at this time as the official announcement doesn't seem to have been issued yet. TransGaming, the company behind the Cedega software for running Windows games on Linux, is going to be replacing the Cedega Gaming Service with something now called GameTree Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Huh? So they going freebie? To me it looks like Cedega wasn't profitable enough.

Comment

I don't get this either. I mean, if Cedega is going freeware, why not push it all the way down and make it opensource, merging the project with the original Wine? It would be a LOT better for every Linux gamer around, efforts fragmentation is never a good thing IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tudhalyas View Post
        I don't get this either. I mean, if Cedega is going freeware, why not push it all the way down and make it opensource, merging the project with the original Wine? It would be a LOT better for every Linux gamer around, efforts fragmentation is never a good thing IMHO.

thats nearly impossible..the split from wine is years ago..
        in addition the tg graphics stack is used in all their products i guess, so it would be impossible to release it as opensource..

But its a great move anyway..the supported games mostly run ways better in cedega than in wine ...

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
          Huh? So they going freebie? To me it looks like Cedega wasn't profitable enough.
          You can only piss on your users so long before they tell you to stick it.

Comment

Transgaming competes with CodeWeavers at porting Windows applications. I think they're trying to cut off CodeWeavers' money supply by offering something similar to CrossOver at no cost.

Comment

Ahem, didn't I say Transgaming was going to kill Cedega?

Comment

I really appreciate the news.

Last fall I decided to cancel my long-year subscription of Cedega as there was absolutly no progress.

I hope that it will be possible to get access to the Cedega engines, as they really are far superior to Wine/Crossover. If you ever used both for the same game you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
                  thats nearly impossible..the split from wine is years ago..
                  in addition the tg graphics stack is used in all their products i guess, so it would be impossible to release it as opensource..
                  My only fear is that Cedega will remain a freeware program, but without good support from its developers. If a project like this is no longer being worked on, it will be as good as dead in the next year or two -- meaning that you won't likely be able to use it for newer games. At that point, it would be better for everyone if the Wine project could take what was better in Cedega and merging that in Wine itself (assuming it is viable, of course).

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
                  But its a great move anyway..the supported games mostly run ways better in cedega than in wine ...
                  Of course, this IS still good news indeed.

Comment

The ability to publish games on GameTree Linux makes me think they want to become something similar to Steam, a sort of app store for ported games. The more i read, the more i get that impresion.

Comment

Working...
                    X