Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[soon?] Soon Source Engine under Unix????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kazetsukai
    replied
    Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
    He was right about ATI's move to open up documentation why wouldn't he be right about it now!!!
    To say someone is correct now because they were correct about something unrelated in the past is very weak logic.

Better logic would be: If Valve had no plans to release a Linux client, why would they do the work to put these Linux clauses in their scripts when they didn't intend to use them? Why would they use SH style scripts at all rather than some OSX binary launcher to get the job done? Why are LSB style binaries and libraries present in some of their newer games?

Not to discredit anyone, but while even the above can amount to nothing in the long run it is way better logic than simply "Mike is right".

Leave a comment:

• jmcharron
    replied
    Originally posted by Jecos View Post
    Sad part, is Blizzard could easily port their mac client to run on Linux.
    There was a Linux client made in house awhile ago and it was canned... They didn't want to provide support.

Leave a comment:

• Setlec
    replied
    Originally posted by Jecos View Post
    Sad part, is Blizzard could easily port their mac client to run on Linux. They just don't care enough.
    in my opinion, Blizzard became a money eater company since the release of wow. Starcraft 2 is quite a proof of that, making ppl pay for a certain period online then charges the player for 2 others expansions... Sad, it is.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Until it is ready for beta test it is unlikely that you will hear much about it officially. It was not denied, so maybe it come in the future after work for os x is finished - that's most likely the top priority as they need all their games running on the new platform first. When then it is time i guess they will try linux (as it is not that compilicated to port from os x to linux). when you will hear about that nobody knows yet. As there have been some binaries out for some time at least 1 dev must have played with that in his spare time, maybe some cross compile test or so.

Leave a comment:

• Jecos
    replied
    Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
    I don't think Michael would mislead us. He was right about ATI's move to open up documentation why wouldn't he be right about it now!!! I hope Valve starts a new trend in game companies being more open to the idea of bringing their software to Linux. I guess a native WoW or SC2 clients are just pipe dreams

I bet the FSF isn't thrilled about this at all.
    Sad part, is Blizzard could easily port their mac client to run on Linux. They just don't care enough. Glad a company like S2 took Dota and put it on all the platforms. Icefrog maintainer of dota still refuses to admit he actually worked for S2 in creating Heroes of Newerth. Now Icefrog working for Valve on a similar Dota game.. sigh. greedy people be greedy.

I'd bet Valve is still working on the Linux client.

Leave a comment:

• jmcharron
    replied
    I don't think Michael would mislead us. He was right about ATI's move to open up documentation why wouldn't he be right about it now!!! I hope Valve starts a new trend in game companies being more open to the idea of bringing their software to Linux. I guess a native WoW or SC2 clients are just pipe dreams

I bet the FSF isn't thrilled about this at all.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    It's NOT a violation of non-disclosure as it does NOT convey information, like deanjo implied it did.
    Well I just had lunch with a friend of mine that does corporate law and I brought up the phrase. In Canada and US that would be considered disclosure.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by mtippett View Post
    That's a throw-away press-facing comment.
    See, deanjo? What you're presuming is...incorrect.

"Right Now" is literally "right now". It may imply we've been developing in the past and it's on hold while we do other work. It may imply that they have done some pre-work, and they are planning something later.
    Folks, there's the straight skinny on how someone would handle that.

It's NOT a violation of non-disclosure as it does NOT convey information, like deanjo implied it did.

It doesn't state unequivocally that they're not doing one- contrary to what the gainsayers are saying. (As an aside, it doesn't say that they ARE doing one, either...)

That's actually softer than We have no current plans for a Linux version.

We'll just have to wait and look for more indication
    Yep. Been saying that for a while now. People seem to have more fun trying to second-guess Valve...

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Woohoo!!!! Duke Nukem Forever here we come!!!!!
    Oh, I only wish. Gearbox is only 20 minutes drive from my house on the Tollway.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    Don't suppose the beta is LGP related?

Any clues?!
    Heh... One word: Indie.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X