Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    And how many people bought a $1 gift and purposefully marked it as a Windows sale to jerry rig the numbers?
    Probably the same percentage that did that for the other OS's.

Comment

• The numbers would have given a better feeling as to what the situation is if they had made it one-donation, one OS version.

Comment

• I know that I most likely only feeding the troll, but in the steam file within http://store.steampowered.com/public...213f46436c7659 there are these strings:
        linux22
        linux24
        linux26
        LINUX
        Linux
        Linux 2.2
        Linux 2.4
        Linux 2.6
        They have most likely been found before, and are probably also out of interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          The numbers would have given a better feeling as to what the situation is if they had made it one-donation, one OS version.
          The only numbers from the bundles that would be meaningful for platform stats are the downloads.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            The only numbers from the bundles that would be meaningful for platform stats are the downloads.
            Not really as alot of people are pigs and will download items they will never use anyways. If they had to donate for each specific version on the OS then you would eliminate those pigs and would be able to easily say something like

"of the 600 donators of the xyz version people paid on average zyx amount." You would be allocating that donation specifically to one OS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moller View Post
              I know that I most likely only feeding the troll, but in the steam file within http://store.steampowered.com/public...213f46436c7659 there are these strings:

They have most likely been found before, and are probably also out of interest.
              So, steam has support for linux 2.2? That doesn't make much sense does it?

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
                So, steam has support for linux 2.2? That doesn't make much sense does it?
                SURE, it does!
                And if Linux 2.2 is not running well you can give Windows 3.11 a shot...

> strings steam | grep -i windows

Windows
                Windows 3.11
                Windows 95
                Windows 98
                Windows ME
                Windows NT
                Windows 2000
                Windows XP
                Windows 2003
                Windows Vista
                Windows 7
                Windows 2008

Comment

• Well steam isn't supported on older platforms, so perhaps those strings are there as to prevent it from loading on ancient systems. Just a guess. Oh and 100th post

Comment

• Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
                    Well steam isn't supported on older platforms, so perhaps those strings are there as to prevent it from loading on ancient systems. Just a guess. Oh and 100th post
                    Technically, Steam isn't supported on any linux platforms as of yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Technically, Steam isn't supported on any linux platforms as of yet.
                      So obviously those strings are for showing a message that Linux is not supported when you try to run it on a Linux box!

Comment

Working...
                      X