Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    deanjo this is a crap way of doing argumentation. Anything can be misused for good or bad. Saying something is "intentionally" bad because it can be "potentially" used for something bad doesn't make it bad to begin with. Innovations did not emerge from greed. Greed only instrumentalized innovations for their goals.
    Take a look at your various empires over the course of history. Even holy wars boiled down to a base need of greed (although that greed was often hidden behind a "moral cause"). It's been the same story from the beginning of recorded history. Like it or not, throughout the history of mankind, the biggest improvements to man kinds existence as stemmed from the various empires that encouraged R&D to give them the competitive edge over their competitors.

Comment

• I don't even know what you guys are arguing about anymore.

That governments competing for power and dominance have driven technology? Yes, obviously.

That our current system is better than what it replaced? That's up for philosophical debate - certainly the standard of living is higher, but many countries with a lower standard have people report being "happier" which you could easily say is a more important goal than gross GDP or even average life expectancy.

That all great thinkers are peace loving humanists? Clearly not.

That they wouldn't have as much time to think about their great ideas if they weren't subsidized by the state or others trying to take advantage of them? Sure, otherwise they'd have to spend their time making money/finding food instead of coming up with ideas.

Can we just go back to the actual topic now? Steam, DRM, linux. Michael lying about things being "official" when they clearly aren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I don't even know what you guys are arguing about anymore.
        Oh I don't know...

How about Steam should or should not be comming to Linux as it is a product of a company, which the world can totally live without [comanies in general] and DRM only exists because companies exist

We are arguing about whether or not this is total bullshit.

Seems totally on-topic to me. Or do you have something to add to the current state of Steam?

Comment

• Steam for linux, another vapour-ware product.
          (bad joke I know, just wanted to put some humour out there)

Comment

• That all great thinkers are peace loving humanists? Clearly not.
            Obviously not all!

Many.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
              Steam for linux, another vapour-ware product.

I am in serious pain right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                Steam for linux, another vapour-ware product.
                Sounds ehm... cloudy?

Comment

• So more time passes and no Steam on Linux...what more proof do we need that Phoronix simply wanted to stir something up...and get a few more hits!

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                    So more time passes and no Steam on Linux...what more proof do we need that Phoronix simply wanted to stir something up...and get a few more hits!
                    I remember reading:
                    "The released Linux client should be available by the end of summer."

As far as I know summer isn't reaching it's end yet but has just started... The other "news articles" without Valve official news link also have stated in the coming months. This thread started "05-12-2010" and that's only one month that has passed, not months. So, I'd still wait before pronouncing the subject closed and dead.

Certainly I'll truly believe this myself also once Valve really announces Linux support themselves (on a link that is constantly availble on the Internet) but having tried myself the Linux steam client that was available for some time, it's kinda hard not to believe that something is happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      Apple Pay 1 million dollar for every minute of not releasing the linux clind.

if you are a company like valve do you really do not get the money from apple for doing nothing means wait with the linux clind ?
                      Oh please stop with your total bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X