Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

Phoronix: Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

The past few days we have been reporting on Valve's Steam client coming to Linux (and some of the Source Engine games too) soon as we had found Linux references within the Steam Mac OS X client and then other Linux references. We even ended up finding the unreleased Linux files on the Valve servers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stop it!

Don't you see that premature exposure hurts the case?

If you ever want Valve (and game developers) support Linux, stop using words like "dissecting", "analyzing" and others that suggest reverse-engineering.

Even usual (techie) game developers are negatively influenced by such language, and now think what marketing heads may think.

Comment

Originally posted by RCL_ View Post
      Don't you see that premature exposure hurts the case?

If you ever want Valve (and game developers) support Linux, stop using words like "dissecting", "analyzing" and others that suggest reverse-engineering.

Even usual (techie) game developers are negatively influenced by such language, and now think what marketing heads may think.

I couldn't agree with you more. This was provoking behavior by Phoronix and those who followed their lead. It would have been better to just sit on the information. Maybe post a small note indicating that there were more hints of a Linux client, but not posting the details. This probably sets back the cause of any Linux client.

Personally, I'm not a Steam user, so I don't have a vested interest either way.

Comment

I do not think that hiding information is something you can demand from the "press" or any self-respecting news-outlet. So don't blame Phoronix for this great find.

Valve reacted appropriately. They pulled the files from the public server. If it had been an uber-secret project they wouldn't have been available publicly in the first place. I can't see the harm done.

Comment

I propose an Orange Revolution within Valve, release the Linux source and binaries and peacefully retreat afterwards.

Comment

Oh, come on, the mere fact that people started poking into the files suggests that there's quite a bit of interest on the Linux client. Besides, these news have made rounds on the internet and no publicity is bad publicity.

Obviously, Valve doesn't want to give access to unreleased, non-working, pre-alpha software, so they pulled the files until they are ready for an official announcement. I'd do the exact same thing, were I in their place.

I'd also keep hacking on the software until it's ready to release. Makes sense, given the apparent amount of interest.

Comment

I, for one, am glad they're gone. It feels as if the last few days have consisted of phoronix bashing us over the head with "See? SEE!? There are FILES! That say LINUX! This is completely indisputable proof that Valve is making a Linux port, all of the skeptics are morons, and phoronix is teh awesome! LOOK AT THESE FILES SOME MORE!"

It really has gotten very tiring. Maybe now rational thinking can resume.

For one thing, Mac support has been announced well in advance of general availability, so even if Linux support is in the works, until Valve at least announces their intention to release it someday, we can safely assume that we won't see it any time soon.

For another thing, the graphics situation on Linux, although rapidly improving, is still relatively abysmal. If I were Valve, I probably wouldn't even consider releasing a Linux port for probably another year or so; who's going to buy games that, in 90% of cases, run like crap?

So, while I sincerely hope Steam for Linux IS in the works, maybe for now we can calm down and concentrate on things that are relevant right now.

Comment

Originally posted by pdusen
                For another thing, the graphics situation on Linux, although rapidly improving, is still relatively abysmal. If I were Valve, I probably wouldn't even consider releasing a Linux port for probably another year or so; who's going to buy games that, in 90% of cases, run like crap?
                Tell this to amd/ati guys. They are the obstacle between us linux users and an active linux gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by barbarbaron View Post
                  Tell this to amd/ati guys. They are the obstacle between us linux users and an active linux gaming.
                  Haha, wait, what.

Comment

Originally posted by barbarbaron View Post
                    Hmm well it really seems like a three-way catch 22 situation (catch 33?) in many ways - with,
                    • Game devs/publishers potentially claiming they need an increase in users/better drivers before they bring their software over
                    • Users claiming they need more software before they come over
                    • OEMs (nVidia, AMD, etc.) claiming they need more users/active game devs/publishers before they invest more money.

And the only real way this cycle can be broken is by someone taking a risk.

And I think that Valve could be one of the few game developers/publishers could both have the best chance at starting a Linux 'gaming revolution' (by providing brining all their own Source games over, providing it as a simple extra platform for others developing upon Source, and providing a centre for existing games for Linux - such as ETQW, World of Goo - via Steam - hopefully stirring new interest in the platform), yet be able to do so at the least financial cost of it fails (as the way it should work means that after they port Steam and Source, they didn't need to make 'Linux versions' of all of their Source-based games).

Comment

Working...
                    X