Epic Games Changes Story, Unsure About UT3 Linux Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Uh, L33F3R... If this supposition is the case, why is it that people will buy Windows gaming rigs, which are the same machine, only running Windows. I don't buy the line of reasoning there because of that little tidbit.

Well its simple.

Gaming rigs for windows users, believe it or not, are a very small portion of the market. Most will go buy dell, or HP, or compaq or emachines or whatever, because thats what the major retailers like to sell. How does it work? People are stupid. It is undeniable that people are in fact, stupid.

The end user will never download. burn an iso. install ubuntu. What sounds like something so basic to us, is actually quite impossible to most. The ones that know how to do it, use it to burn pirate games and other software and as a result dont install linux to begin with. Reasons regarding such i will post tomorrow as its the windows 7 release. Today i work on something for more juicy.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      It is undeniable that people are in fact, stupid.
      The wisest thing you've told during all these months here...

Comment

It's more due to lack of familiarity with Linux and a perceived lack of market at the present that causes this whole thing right at the moment. Not consoles as you imply. Moreover, the story's changing if the Android phones coming out for Christmas don't flop. If they do average to spectacular, there's a whole space that you will have to code to either Dalvik or a Dalvik launcher against native ARM code. Code that will have to be Linux coding to even have a chance of starting. Most of the indies and big-boys want in on that market.
        I suppose the Maemo ports will be even easier Linux ports, right?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Known in the gaming world? No. That's the problem.

Known in the gaming world? No. That's the problem

Known in the gaming world? No. That's the problem.

Yes. These games suck compared to all other games out there. Warsow on the other hand is multiplatform and very popular on Windows, among a huge list of games that are available to Windows. Warsow, in it's first alpha release, 0.1, was already an official E-Sports game.

See the problem? Nothing except for Warsow and id Software games is out there for Linux because nobody has ever made a kickass game, with the exception of Warsow.

Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsow_...mpetitive_play
          yeah, you don't know anything. You just have shown it. All three I mentioned above are multiplatform.

But continue with your stupid stuff. The problem is not a lack of projects, the problem is lack of manpower.

But why don't you stop complaining and start doing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            I suppose the Maemo ports will be even easier Linux ports, right?
            Same class of effort as they'll be using the same APIs I'm talking to- so all this fun with Linux smartphones will open up some avenues for getting some types of games on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              The wisest thing you've told during all these months here...
              Wiser words are rarely said, actually...

I don't wholly concur with his supposition, but he did clarify his remarks well enough I won't argue with them because he's at least partly right with it. But saying people won't be buying a Linux gaming rig isn't wholly accurate- the "Windows gaming rig" is identical with respects to the hardware you'd find on a "Linux gaming rig". It's the OS that is the only thing that really differs in that example- and people are a bit resistant to change (though not as much as he surmises...). For now, suffice it to say he's right- but things can and do change all the time and to say what he originally said isn't at all right.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                Perhaps someone will come out with a pandora style console
                It's been hinted at from time to time. You can even get something like that right now for $150 from DigiKey in the form of the BeagleBoard. But it's more akin to the original X-Box in power. It's slightly underpowered for a current generation console machine. Having a machine with a slightly more beefy GPU and clocked at 1-1.5 GHz, you'd have a machine similar to the Wii in performance. To be at parity or better with the current generation of console machines, you'd have to field something like a dual core Atom paired with a mid-end AMD or NVidia GPU or field something like a dual/quad core Cortex-A9 clocked at 1.5GHz with much more credible GPU than the ones they're fielding right at the moment in the mobile SoC's.

Comment

@ Svartalf: If you had the need of making a new game engine*, would you make it cross-platform or linux only? And why?

*I'm thinking something similar to source engine, more or less cutting edge but should work on larger gamers PCs, than an UE 3 engine, cutting edge. Of course i'm also thinking about a long and durable engine...

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                    @ Svartalf: If you had the need of making a new game engine*, would you make it cross-platform or linux only? And why?
                    Cross-platform.

Pragmatism dictates that Linux is not, nor will it ever be the "only" os for things like games for any time in the reasonable forseeable future. While my preferred OS is Linux, not everyone is going to agree with that preference- and there ARE consoles out there, after all. And, I wouldn't want to deprive the Windows users out there for their choice to not be freed of a bunch of crap that Microsoft has inflicted on them over the years.

*I'm thinking something similar to source engine, more or less cutting edge but should work on larger gamers PCs, than an UE 3 engine, cutting edge. Of course i'm also thinking about a long and durable engine...
                    Interesting thought that. Is there a specific engine you're alluding to there?

Comment

Pragmatism dictates that Linux is not, nor will it ever be the "only" os for things like games for any time in the reasonable forseeable future. While my preferred OS is Linux, not everyone is going to agree with that preference- and there ARE consoles out there, after all. And, I wouldn't want to deprive the Windows users out there for their choice to not be freed of a bunch of crap that Microsoft has inflicted on them over the years.
                      If you want to make money you must make your engine cross platform, but if you already have a lot of money and seek to make a charity then you should make it for Linux only, since even to force people to move from win to lin is a good action

Comment

Working...
                      X