Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Live Now Available To Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Quake Live Now Available To Linux Gamers

Quake Live, the project by id Software that effectively puts the classic but popular Quake III: Arena game and puts it in the web browser, is now available for Linux. Linux gamers interested in running this first person shooter just need to go to QuakeLive.com and install a plug-in for their web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Freaking Schweet I'm gonna try it right now before I have to go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
      Freaking Schweet I'm gonna try it right now before I have to go to work.
      You can even play at work

That was one of the goals for Quake Live To be able to play it on any computer and anywhere, and maybe just for 10 minutes.

Comment

I still get the "Sorry, you're not supported" message. I'm using the non-branded Firefox 3.5 build (called Shiretoko).

Anyway, this is a disgrace for the web. You have to actually change your browser to install a proprietary binary blob to view this site. It's against everything the web stands for. If you're running a browser that is capable of anything, but it's not one of those supported by Quake Live, you're out of luck. If you're at a place where the computer is locked down, you're out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          I still get the "Sorry, you're not supported" message. I'm using the non-branded Firefox 3.5 build (called Shiretoko).

Anyway, this is a disgrace for the web. You have to actually change your browser to install a proprietary binary blob to view this site. It's against everything the web stands for. If you're running a browser that is capable of anything, but it's not one of those supported by Quake Live, you're out of luck. If you're at a place where the computer is locked down, you're out of luck.
          Yes, this is a really bad product.

It requires 3D acceleration and it doesn't work in text mode.

Also it requires a monitor and a mouse.

Comment

If I have to download a plugin, then why the hell didn't they simply offer a client? The plugin simply renders inside the browser window. Why the fsck not simply render in it's own window by being a client? Why does it have to be in the browser?

This makes zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
              Yes, this is a really bad product.

It requires 3D acceleration and it doesn't work in text mode.

Also it requires a monitor and a mouse.
              I'm glad you agree. They should have spent their energy on working with the WHATWG to get a 3D canvas spec off the ground. That's a worthwhile project. If they did that, and then were the first to implement such a thing through a browser plugin, they would get my support.

But as it stands, this is just a cheap trick that doesn't really produce anything worthwhile for the future of the web.

Not only does this require 3D acceleration and mouse input support (which is sensible), it also requires an artificially limited set of browsers. As I said, I use Firefox 3.5, without the branding (since Ubuntu just happens to provide me with that). This browser is just as capable as Firefox 2 and 3.0, which are supported, but still it doesn't work. You can expect every future beta version of supported browsers to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                If I have to download a plugin, then why the hell didn't they simply offer a client? The plugin simply renders inside the browser window. Why the fsck not simply render in it's own window by being a client? Why does it have to be in the browser?

This makes zero sense.
                Carmack is pretty intelligent, so you can be sure, there are good reasons

But very likely because then you wouldn't have the web integration like you have now with leader boards, high scores and so on.

If you give it fair chance, you will see that the game is very well integrated into the website.

That would be my guess at least.

Comment

Not only does this require 3D acceleration and mouse input support (which is sensible),
                  Most 3D drivers are closed source, so why is closed source 3D ok, and Flash not?

Comment

change your user string

an easier way is to just change your agent string. Go to about:config and change the "general.useragent.extra.firefox" so that it says Firefox instead of Shiretoko.

yes, lame but it works

Comment

Working...
                    X