Steam's February Survey: AMD CPUs & GPUs Continue To Dominate For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    And continue to deny how ineffective kernel anticheats are except they have conclusively proven that they are several orders of magnitude better than no such measures at all.
    The start of that sentence doesn't mean what you think it means.... Also where is that conclusive proof again? Would love to see your numbers (not the made up ones you kept bringing up before).

Also if only there were other measures outside of kernel anticheats like:
    • Userspace anticheat
    • Moderation/Manual intervention (something even Valorant relies on according to their own blogposts)
    • Serverside anticheat
    • Barriers of entry (another thing Valorant relies on, you need to give up your phone number for Valorant Premier)
    • Shadow bans/Cheater pools (so cheaters end up with cheaters).
    Not saying these are perfect, but neither was Kernel level anticheat as I have proved before and these are a lot less invasive. Not to mention you once again downplay the two levels of kernel anticheat (Genshin Impact and Valorant's 24/7 on vs the others who only turn it on when the game is running), funnily enough you don't even make an argument that one is better than the other (as some Valorant fanboys tend to do) but that seems to be because you aren't even aware of the implications let alone the difference.

But could you imagine if we took the kernel level approach to everything? Would you be on board with a captcha alternative that requires you to install a kernel package to make sure 24/7 that you aren't really a robot in disguise?

Comment

Kernelspace, userspace, and clientside anticheats are completely defeatable if you have the tools to do so.

Minecraft, namely PaperMC, has one of the best solutions, which is serverside. It's actually harder to defeat server side anticheat software and plugins unless you absolutely know how to do so and no what you're dealing with. And defeating a server-side anti-cheat is not easy.

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post
        The start of that sentence doesn't mean what you think it means.... Also where is that conclusive proof again? Would love to see your numbers (not the made up ones you kept bringing up before).

Also if only there were other measures outside of kernel anticheats like:
        • Userspace anticheat
        • Moderation/Manual intervention (something even Valorant relies on according to their own blogposts)
        • Serverside anticheat
        • Barriers of entry (another thing Valorant relies on, you need to give up your phone number for Valorant Premier)
        • Shadow bans/Cheater pools (so cheaters end up with cheaters).
        Not saying these are perfect, but neither was Kernel level anticheat as I have proved before and these are a lot less invasive. Not to mention you once again downplay the two levels of kernel anticheat (Genshin Impact and Valorant's 24/7 on vs the others who only turn it on when the game is running), funnily enough you don't even make an argument that one is better than the other (as some Valorant fanboys tend to do) but that seems to be because you aren't even aware of the implications let alone the difference.

But could you imagine if we took the kernel level approach to everything? Would you be on board with a captcha alternative that requires you to install a kernel package to make sure 24/7 that you aren't really a robot in disguise?
        I've never claimed kernel anticheats solve everything, and you are reading my comment and then rush to misinterpret it completely. I said they are several orders of magnitude more effective and it's proven by a ton of people. I've played Val a lot and not seen any cheaters. I run into cheaters in every other CS2 game despite having a 16 year-old account with a perfect track record and trust factor.

And I've never offered kernel-something outside of gaming which attracts a ton of people willing to destroy your fun because they are miserable creatures. Again, you not only misinterpret my words, you even wind my proposal up just to serve your agenda of "kernel anticheat not solving anything" - which is a lie, they reduce the number of cheaters by several orders of magnitude, "kernel anitcheats being bad for security" - not by you but it's also a lie, any software may have bugs, bugs in kernel level anticheats are fixed quite fast considering a huge user base, "let's have kernel solutions for everything" - also a lie I've never thought of even in my wildest imagination.

Everyone, and I repeat, everyone in this discussion who opposes kernel-level anticheats does NOT play multiplayer online games where cheating is rampant. I do not understand why you boast about your ideals when they go hard against people trying to have fun. Your ideals, if properly implemented (i.e. kernel anticheats being removed/abandoned) mean people will get fucked over by others willing to spoil their life. In short, you're evil. A lot more evil than these kernel anticheats are.

Had this discussion taken place on r/GlobalOffensive or r/Valorant, your comments would have been modded down to oblivion. That's all you need to know about Open Source fans. They don't care about the real world. They care about their ideals and mythology of having "a safe secure open source OS". Every word in this sentence is a lie. Linux is not safe, not secure, not open source (because 99.99% of users trust binary code released by their distros and have various binary blobs running their hardware not limited to UEFI), and it's not an OS (given no API/ABI compatibility between even releases of a single Linux distro, let along different distros).
        Last edited by avis; 20 March 2024, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I've never claimed kernel anticheats solve everything, and you are reading my comment and then rush to misinterpret it completely.
          LMAO you want to talk about rushing and misinterpreting?!
          I never claimed that you claimed that it solves everything, my point was none of them are perfect. Cheaters will always get through (ideally every game is moderated but that is hard to do with the numbers of the CS2 playerbase hence not even that is perfect).
          Stop projecting your insecurities onto the text so you can once again rant off how poor little you has to deal with Cheaters in CS2 all the time (despite you claiming to play Valorant anyways so when do you have time to run into cheaters in CS), christ, none of us care.
          Doesn't also change the fact the security risk is still there.

And I've never offered kernel-something outside of gaming which attracts a ton of people willing to destroy your fun because they are miserable creatures. Again, you not only misinterpret my words, you even wind my proposal up just to serve your agenda of "kernel anticheat not solving anything" - which is a lie, they reduce the number of cheaters by several orders of magnitude, "kernel anitcheats being bad for security" - not by you but it's also a lie, any software may have bugs, bugs in kernel level anticheats are fixed quite fast considering a huge user base, "let's have kernel solutions for everything" - also a lie I've never thought of even in my wildest imagination.
          It is unbelievable you cry about misinterpreting words when clearly you do it all the time, it was meant as an example of extreme measures being taken to deal with a problem. I never claimed you said it, like holy shit stop misinterpreting things and then accuse the other party of misinterpreting, it is getting old.

It isn't about there being just bugs but full on exploits, we already established your knowledge on cyber security and computer lingo is none existent. And it isn't a lie it creates potential security issues many have been warning about since the start and since then it actually happened or did you once again forget that the Genshin Impact one was used in Malware?! And potentially it just happened again (YOU EVEN LINKED IT MY GUY), with serious implications considering it seems to be a case of RCE (arguably the worst kind of exploit), like how can you say it is a lie for it being bad for security when the article you linked not that long ago advises you to avoid Apex Legends for the time being and that the pro players affected should perform a clean OS install?! There is more proof of that than there is of your claim it is more effective in stopping cheaters, you have 0 numbers on it (hell we now have a case where pro players get cheats loaded and activated onto their PC with a kernel level anticheat active and they aren't instabanned, Genburten left on his own before he got banned), want to know a hilarious quote though:

Fortnite alone has likely more players than there are Linux users in the world and somehow we don't get literally thousands of reports of people getting hacked left and right. That strongly indicates someone lives in an alternative reality. And there are lots more games using it including and not limited to:
          • Valorant
          • Fortnite
          • Apex Legends
          • PUBG
          • Rainbow Six Siege
          Man, that aged like sushi. ​

I run into cheaters in every other CS2 game despite having a 16 year-old account with a perfect track record and trust factor.​
          Wow weird, I swear you mentioned Face IT before, yet strangely you don't claim here "Unless I go on Face IT". Almost as if your experience is fabricated.

Your investigations are also laughable, you try to bring up hltv before, completely ignoring (nor even providing) that Valorant lacks a similair site where people could bring up there grievances, I had to even point out they are explicitly banned from hackusations on their own Reddit, nor do they have the same tools as CS players to see the cheaters perspective post game (they have to have Nvidia Shadow Replay enabled or recording with OBS to review and acquire footage). And again it is perfectly possible for someone to have games with 0 cheaters, CS has over 800K active players a week so perfectly possible that every match you get 9 that aren't cheating. Similarly even if the amount of cheaters in Valorant is low (lets go with 22 as that is the amount the last Valorant Cheater review video on Youtube went over), it is very possible you get cheaters every game (hell you might get 2 completely different teams and still have full cheaters safe for you in the lobby).
          Luck of the draw is part of it. I never encountered cheaters when I played Halo Infinite or Overwatch (1/2), doesn't mean that there are 0 cheaters on it just like how your supposed experience doesn't mean it is cheater infested.

Everyone, and I repeat, everyone in this discussion who opposes kernel-level anticheats does NOT play multiplayer online games where cheating is rampant. I do not understand why you boast about your ideals when they go hard against people trying to have fun. Your ideals, if properly implemented (i.e. kernel anticheats being removed/abandoned) mean people will get fucked over by others willing to spoil their life. In short, you're evil. A lot more evil than these kernel anticheats are.
          LMAO, yeah because I rather have it that people that do not cheat don't get screwed over by the tool supposed to stop cheaters due to it being incredibly invasive and according to your twisted, ridiculous logic that makes me evil?!
          GTFO, you are now being absolutely delusional. It is evil to force people that do not cheat to put themselves in danger to (hypothetically even) stop cheaters.

Also you want me to believe with the amount of posts you amass in a couple of weeks and your claims you are so into the community of both games that you actually have time to play both Valorant and CS2? Either you don't have a job or ongoing education or you are lying even more than I thought. Also I already provided my CS2 experience so wow once again you are wrong, shocker. And what is the definition of a game rampant with cheaters, it is such a subjective statement. If I play a game that only 5 other people play and 3 of them cheat (so 50%) does that mean cheating is rampant? Is it x number of cheaters? If so where do those numbers come from, can't come from banned players because those are the cheaters that got caught and it can't be from people their personal experiences because kids cry cheater all the time when they lose. There would have to be an active counting by reviewing a big enough sample size of games by a third party in proportion to the player base (which I don't see happening). Again this is a matter of your perspective, if cheating was truly as rampant as you claim I doubt CS2 would have the player numbers it pulls.

Had this discussion taken place on r/GlobalOffensive or r/Valorant, your comments would have been modded down to oblivion. That's all you need to know about Open Source fans. They don't care about the real world. They care about their ideals and mythology of having "a safe secure open source OS".
          First of, lol no. There are plenty of posts on the Valorant subreddit that would agree with things I said, like here were the best comment (246 upvotes) brings up the difference between Vanguard and Battleye/Easy anti-cheat (hey look I had to bring that up too, because you also didn't know the difference). Most would argue it is worth the risk but that doesn't mean they will pretend as if there is no risk like you have been doing for god knows how many posts.

And if you think reddit is so much better and more intune with your perspective, go to reddit. Stop with your ad hominem bullshit that you cry about when it is redirected to you and go to your supposed Valhalla where you can cry about cheaters to your hearts content (or just play Valorant since you praise it being cheater free so much).

They care about their ideals and mythology of having "a safe secure open source OS". Every word in this sentence is a lie. Linux is not safe, not secure, not open source (because 99.99% of users trust binary code released by their distros and have various binary blobs running their hardware not limited to UEFI), and it's not an OS (given no API/ABI compatibility between even releases of a single Linux distro, let along different distros).​
          This, this quote right here is absolute proof you are terrible at writing.
          You put the sentence on its own (it literally ends), so odd sentence it says itself is a lie.
          Now you probably meant to specify your previous quoted sentence so you should have written it like this:
          "a safe secure open source OS" (every word in this sentence is a lie). Or "a safe secure open source OS", every word in this sentence is a lie.​
          Or perhaps even clearer like this:
          "a safe secure open source OS". Every word in the previous sentence is a lie
          But even that could be interpreted to include the part with "They care about their ideals and mythology of having " being a lie (so this statement is a lie would have been better, crazy how words and punctuation matters and how you still misinterpret just about everything by adding imaginary words to it).

You are that inept you set it on its own, in case you are wondering a dot specifies the end of a sentence, there is no debate like period (literally). Can't believe I need to provide first grade sentence structure on a FOSS forum, how old are you again?

But let's instead interpret it as "Every word in the following sentence is a lie." With which I agree the following quote is indeed a lie:
          Linux is not safe, not secure, not open source (because 99.99% of users trust binary code released by their distros and have various binary blobs running their hardware not limited to UEFI), and it's not an OS (given no API/ABI compatibility between even releases of a single Linux distro, let along different distros).
          ​
          And your rambling is also unrelated about the entire discussion about kernel level anticheat, stop venting your poorly formed opinion on Linux when it doesn't even matter to the discussion.
          Last edited by tenchrio; 20 March 2024, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis
            FaceIt is relatively OK (requires a kernel anticheat), match making and casual are hell on earth. No contradiction. I've never made anything up even though you heavily want to believe I did. Maybe I have my 4K hours in CS1.6/CS:Source/CSGO/CS2 while simply having the game open.

Any software has bugs, your Linux is rife with yet to be unearthed bugs including local root exploits, should we absolutely stop using it? Yeah? Also consider your kernel exploit surface which is HUGE considering thousands of interfaces, and a kernel level anticheat which does a dozen of things at most.

You are free to enjoy blatant cheaters and having your account banned while gaming under Linux. There's nothing really to discuss, cause the experience of online multiplayer games in Linux is simply shit either way. But please do not try to post your isnightful comment in r/GlobalOffensive or r/Valorant. You'll be downvoted and ridiculed to no end.

Anyways, "It isn't about there being just bugs but full on exploits, we already established your knowledge on cyber security and computer lingo is none existent."

This is enough to finish this conversation for good. Have your way, Linux or whatever, I will be using kernel level anticheats and have my relative peace of mind. I'm sorry I will have to add you in my BL 'cause I don't need the righteous preposterous crap of "server side anticheat" which simply does not fucking work and has never worked except for spotting spinbotters. And then VAC has recently mistakenly banned people who spun on purpose, LMAO:

You really have no fucking clue, neither you play any online multiplayer games with this issue:

https://www.eurogamer.net/counter-st...se-too-quickly
            HAHAHA 4K hours and you can't get past the 8K rating? Yeah maybe you did have the game open all the time lol.
            And sure add me to your blocklist, it is pretty obvious that every time you lose the argument completely you start blocking people and cry about how you block them so I guess it is an achievement on this site, you literally didn't even address half the post (man almost as if you nitpick what works for you and somehow you still misinterpret most of it). Every piece of software has exploits yes (bugs aren't necessarily indicative of being harmfull, but again you don't know that since you know less than nothing as half of your shit is fabricated), but that is why it is best to keep as little as possible in the kernel and keep most things userside to mitigate the potential harm somewhat (I think I might have posted this but if you blocked this then what is the point in proving that?).

Honestly, the only reason I can think of that you aren't banned is because you must generate a hell of a lot of traffic with all the absolute fabrications you post, you keep doing it now, as somehow in your eyes Reddit is a bastion of well informed opinions (probably what you see yours as lol). Pretty sure that "Blocked user" list on your profile can be seen as harassement.

Go to r/foss and r/linux and you will also be downvoted to hell.

Edit: wait did he just seriously delete his post XD
            Last edited by tenchrio; 20 March 2024, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post
              Honestly, the only reason I can think of that you aren't banned is because you must generate a hell of a lot of traffic with all the absolute fabrications you post, you keep doing it now, as somehow in your eyes Reddit is a bastion of well informed opinions (probably what you see yours as lol). Pretty sure that "Blocked user" list on your profile can be seen as harassement.

Go to r/foss and r/linux and you will also be downvoted to hell.

Edit: wait did he just seriously delete his post XD
              And he was finally banned, the only thing he did was incite the flames.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozo View Post

And he was finally banned, the only thing he did was incite the flames.
                I know this is somewhat late to the game ( I was busy...) but 'his' mannerisms, his delivery, is a stark reminder for me of a very poor upbringing I had, to the point the trauma manisfests as a dog-like growl just reading his 'posts'. They're such, that if I met him on the street...

When he spoke, it just felt like it was a 'One verse the World' situation rather than a discussion. He just wouldnt leave alone, walk away, and effectively became a nucleaer reactor in meltdown, feeding itself to destruction rather than engage in point given/taken format.

A ban wont stop him. He will likely be back, and such is life
                Hi

Comment

It's obvious you and I see eye to eye on this issue and I agree with nearly everything you said, i just want to add:

Of course, it's down to the user in the end
                  This right here can not be overstated.

20+ years ago I used to hang out with a guy that could screw up any computer you gave him, not on purpose, it just seemed he could mess it up at while.

I had built him a computer, starting with a Compaq that had an Athlon, added what at the time was gobs of ram, 128mb, put in a fast hard drive, added a sound blaster and TNT2, a good NIC, and fresh install of Win 2k, with all the service packs, and 3 different antivirus software, one was set to actively scan and 2 for backup.

It took him about 3 days to call me to say he was having problems. I go, the system was a mess. I don;t recall exactly what was wrong but i decided to reinstall everything. Tested it with him present, had him tested, everything was fine.

A couple of days later, I get a call, again his computer is fucked up. I try to diagnose it over the phone and after talking to him I tell him i think the problem is somewhere between the keyboard and the chair. He's looking to see what is between the keyboard and the chair, he asks me if there is some cable that's supposed to be there and i tell him "No dumbass, it's you".

We laughed about it but what he was doing is he had read on some forum that some hacked unofficial driver for the TNT2 was better and he had downloaded some sound mixing software that was supposed to be great for Sound Blaster, and he had installed a registry cleaner to "keep his computer fresh", add in a couple of no-CD game cracks and you have a mess that he couldn't handle.

And that's really the main cause of all the Windows problems that people were reporting over the years, end users that thought they were getting a bargain by using pirated software the downloaded from some torrent site.

I remember on the Video Help forums people doing MPEG-2 encoder comparison shootouts and the tests included CCE Encoder, Procoder, Main Concept Encoder, and TMPG Encoder; CCE cost something like 5 grand, and the other's weren't cheap either, and when you asked for the version number it was the exact same version as was available on the Pirate Bay.

People would download and install no-CD cracks, save game cheats, pirated games, pirated productivity software, I knew people that had Maya and all sorts of expensive commercial software installed on their systems, that had no idea how to use the software, but they did it because they could get it for free.

And of course others starts posting fake software that was viruses, or actual pirated software that installed back doors, etc.

As you pointed out, the same thing happens in the Linux world, people will happily install anything so long as it's open source.

If Linux ever achieved the level of use on the desktop that Windows has, it would be game over, I could make a fortune fixing people's computers that screwed their computers by installing everything they found.

In fact, if i wanted to create a botnet I would create a piece of software that was appealing, release it as open source and legally for free and just wait for all lemmings to install it, thinking that because it's open source it's somehow secure.

I guarantee you that if open source advocates actually took a single computer science class, most of them would stop using it immediately, they would realize how stupid their belief systems are.

The only thin i am going to disagree with you on is this:

on an obscure Internet forum
                  If Michael is to be believed, this is not an obscure forum, the PTS website is not available right now, but on it he claims that Phoronix has 250 million hits a year and is ranked in the top 3000 most visited sites on the planet.

If that's the case, it is not obscure, and I just want to say that for a very reasonable six figure salary i will be more than happy to shill for anyone reading this.

Comment

sophisticles

A nice read, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X