Steam's February Survey: AMD CPUs & GPUs Continue To Dominate For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

And some dude pretending to be a semi-professional player while not even recognizing cheaters or not even playing the game considering he's boasting about the rank which stopped being relevant over half a year ago continues not to provide any recent relevant data indicating that kernel anticheats somehow make your system wide open for exploitation.
    Weren't you going to peace out? And are you still ignoring the Genshin Impact example, do you still not understand we had a recent example of a kernel anticheat being compromised, here is the CVE, how many people were hacked? Hard to say, no numbers were released but it was caught in the wild by Trends Micro (a cyber security firm) and the write ups and proof of concepts show immediately that this could seriously endanger PCs.
    I swear I also mentioned my CS2 rating, which you still haven't provided, but then again you are very selective about what to focus on but still make yourself look like a fool lol.

But now Imagine bringing up experience and hours played and not even achieving a high or respectable rank then pretending as if you are an expert on anticheat and getting a shit load of facts wrong every time and providing 0 actual data just feelings. Could you imagine? Cause I don't have too, I found such a moron in real life, here's the quote:

Do you even play online, dude? Huh?

Have you ever run or played CSGO/CS2/Valorant/Apex Legends/Dota/PubG/CoD/etc.? What about grinding any of them for a few thousand hours? I've done that. I have a ton of experience with cheaters. What about you? A Linux fan who probably plays 15 years old single player games on his ingrated GPU. The hell are you talking about then? What makes you believe your opinion is even remotely true/relevant/based?
    I mean some dude pretending to play a game for thousands of hours is honestly the worst type of argument, especially if he cries afterwards when someone pulls rank on him and how suddenly it isn't a valid argument anymore (as if you weren't the one to bring it up first).

Now imagine that moron bringing up other games like Fortnite (doesn't that have crossplay with Android btw? Which you know runs on the Linux kernel), Apex Legends (runs on Linux, even ProtonDB Gold rating), PUBG and Rainbow Six Siege. Not realizing that the anticheats (literally BattlEye in 3 cases, mister anticheat expert doesn't even know enough to call the anticheat by its name then again you got VAC wrong, and Apex Legends with Easy Anti-Cheat which again runs through Proton on Linux) work entirely differently (for starters not 24/7 on, only during the game, limiting the time of attack) and once again being too stupid to understand that still doesn't change the matter that those anticheats introduce additional risks due to the high level of privilege they get (and everyone of them still fails at the one singular thing they are supposed to achieve, but at least those don't boot with your PC like Genshin Impact, which again to re-iterate, was compromised and used for malware).

Speaking of Battle eye (the anticheat of Fortnite, PUBG and Rainbow Six since we have established you have an extremely short term memory), it also had a CVE in 2022. But is less of a problem because it has to be running (again it only does when the game does) and it also wasn't caught in the wild (still a stupid risk as people definitely complained about cheaters on Fortnite and Rainbow Six Seige, it's almost as if popularity has a big effect on the amount of cheaters and kernel level anticheats don't help as much as morons claim). Most CVEs on Easy Anti-cheat are then again about getting around easy anti-cheat (so no privilege escalation or malware but doesn't seem to be that great on stopping cheaters). Not to mention then the hilarious hypothetical what one anticheat will do if the other is compromised, as already demonstrated by Vanguard not allowing certain software to run (if you need an example EVGA Throttlestop).

Like holy shit, how little on anticheats do you actually know? You claimed earlier that CS2 only had a "serverside" anticheat (even calling that one VAC while that is the name for the client side) and the rest of us are supposedly the ones bringing zero facts? I am still waiting for your numbers on cheater reduction as clearly those kernel level anticheats don't stop them at all considering how they even show up in the Valorant Tournament scene and have to be called out by people watching the stream. And as I have proven numerous times (but your brain seems to blank every time it is brought up), they can pose a security risk and the elevated privileges don't really help (a look at the graphs on the Valorant dev blogs for December 2023 show that over 15%, sometimes even 20% of bans are still done manually).

Hard to argue when you literally make shit up (you state nonsense that is not only just flat out wrong but also a Google search away) let alone understand the actual topic you are talking about in the slightest, your biggest argument is your feelings because you are a child and your caretaker should seriously take internet access away from you.
    Do as you said and leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozo View Post
      If Linux had not been free another UNIX-like system would have replaced it, the most likely candidate would have been FreeBSD, even in the hypothetical case if Windows had been legally free, there are many programming stuff that are extremely difficult to do on Windows and are a breeze to do on UNIX and UNIX-like OSes, and this is still true today, and will remain true for the rest of eternity.

Ofc, several of those bots here, who are clearly paid by Microsoft/Riot if not unconditional fanboys, will be in denial of this reality.
      You almost had a good counterargument until the underlined parts above.

So you really believe that Microsoft pays people to post pro-Microsoft comments in online forums?

I've been hearing these claims for decades yet I have never found where I can apply for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

So you really believe that Microsoft pays people to post pro-Microsoft comments in online forums?

I've been hearing these claims for decades yet I have never found where I can apply for the job.
        I'd absolutely love to be paid by Microsoft for shilling but I don't have to, Windows is an actual OS with strong security. Linux is neither an OS, nor it has strong modern security (features built-in), not to mention the whole distribution issue, e.g. Over 100,000 Infected Repos Found on GitHub - and we have such news weekly. Github, Gitlab, NPM, Ruby, Node.js, Python what gives you. I don't hear about various Windows stores having tens of thousands of pieces of malware, crypto miners or anything like that so often if ever. In fact I've never heard anything like that about Windows. And Windows does have stores and distribution channels, including the same GitHub repos.
        • Meanwhile Linux users happily git clone anything on the net and then proceed to install it.
        • Linux users happily download binaries from the net and run them without even having a semblance of an antivirus.
        • Linux users don't bother using firejail because it's maddenly difficult to set up properly vs. e.g. SandBoxie which has a nice UI.
        • The vast majority of Linux users disable Secure Boot right away. Why wouldn't they if only Fedora/RHEL/SLES/Ubuntu are signed.
        • The vast majority of Linux users use sudo sparingly for too many tasks because they don't quite understand when it actually needs to be used.
        And this tenchrio guy who cannot stop using bold has now posted over five walls of text without providing a single fucking proof of people getting hacked left and right because of Windows kernel level anitcheats. To say he's full of Scheiße is to say nothing. And of course he couldn't care less about a horrible experience of playing online games choke full of cheaters. LMAO.

He quotes CVE-2022-27095 as if it's a proof of anything. No, it's not. CVEs do not mean computers are getting hacked en masse. Period. If that was the case, Linux users would have been hacked daily. Look, mom, hundreds of vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel alone! Almost a dozen in just released Linux 6.7! 128 vulnerabilities in 2024 alone, vs. a single one in an obscure anticheat. 41 privilege escalation, i.e. become root in 2023, LMAO. The guy pretends to know about security and shows a single poor CVE with confidence. Where are all the forum posts by people getting hacked? Oh, wait, there's none. His "reasoning" can actually work for gullible idiots, the issue is it doesn't work for those who actually work security.

And some people even like his messages. Prolly the same people who do not play online multiplayer games and believe in Linux' obscure security which has actually been proven to be a joke. Of course, it's down to the user in the end, but in Windows you at least have the very powerful Windows Defender AV built-in and SandBoxie which is a 10MB download and in Linux? Now wait for a new wall of text full of accusations and zero facts. Just like all the previous ones.

The fact that Mr. Nozo actually believes I'm being paid strongly indicates someone could be insane. Microsoft is certainly not a bunch of idiots to pay someone to shill for them among Linux fans on an obscure Internet forum. They do business. They don't care about a belligerent bunch of Linux warriors lying to one another. These warriors do not make purchasing decisions worth tens of millions of dollars. If they did, they wouldn't be here.

The fact is that Windows kernel anticheats decrease the number of cheaters by several orders of magnitude (that's 100-1000 for those who don't know math) and games without such protections are rife with cheaters and become nearly unplayable. And Linux users will never get the luxury of enjoying online gaming because such anticheats can't work under Wine. On the other hand companies regularly ban Linux users attempting to play Windows games because in Linux not a single component of your system can be verified to be legitimate. You can replace or patch the kernel, glibc, Mesa, anything and have all the freedom to cheat however you want.

Only one of use deals with cheaters on a regular basis. The other one lives an alternative reality.
        Last edited by avis; 05 March 2024, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I'd absolutely love to be paid by Microsoft for shilling but I don't have to, Windows is an actual OS with strong security. Linux is neither an OS, nor it has strong modern security (features built-in), not to mention the whole distribution issue, e.g. Over 100,000 Infected Repos Found on GitHub - and we have such news weekly. Github, Gitlab, NPM, Ruby, Node.js, Python what haves you. I don't hear about various Windows stores having tens of thousands of pieces of malware, crypto miners or anything like that so often if ever. In fact I've never heard anything like that about Windows. And Windows does have stores and distribution channels, including the same GitHub repos.
          There absolutely was malware on the windows Store, holy shit, when are you going to stop talking, you just make a fool of yourself every time XD
          Github is even owned by Microsoft, this is just too funny.
          We even have numbers on that, 5000 computers were affected by the malware on the windows store and that is just numbers from Sweden, Isreal, Spain and Bermude.
          It is honestly sad at this point, if you aren't getting paid you're just a delusional fanboy. You even agree with Sophisticles in a desperate attempt to find an ally on the forum, it's so sad.

Also don't dare to quote me directly anymore, let alone @ me?
          Because again you clearly can't read, Trends Micro was made aware of the Genshin Impact anticheat CVE because it was actually used in a malware attack, it is confirmed to have been used, period. But you are too stupid to even comprehend that fact.

I can make dumb lists too claiming "facts" without backing them up (ironic how you never provide numbers or proof for them, but I need to point to specific people affected by the CVE hack despite a literal cyber security company saying their clients were affected by it):
          • The vast majority of Windows users run shit as adminstrator, you probably included.
          • The vast majority of Windows users install through exe (as in most cases a msi (microsoft install) package isn't even available, let alone windows store but I already posted above how full of Malware that is, have fun figuring out which of the 10 VLC media players is the real one)
          • The vast majority of Windows users turn off Windows defender (especially gamers, wait a minute aren't you one?)
          • The vast majority of Windows users delay updates (remember when Microsoft had to force PCs to restart, good times)
          • The vast majority of Windows users install kernel software that is absolutely unnecessary for the operating system (grandma and grandpa love their Genshin fix)

And this tenchrio guy who cannot stop using bold has now posted over five walls of text without providing a single fucking proof of people getting hacked left and right because of Windows kernel level anitcheats. To say he's full of Scheiße is to say nothing. And of course he couldn't care less about a horrible experience of playing online games choke full of cheaters. LMAO.
          You literally do nothing but complain about cheaters, I doubt you are even playing the games with the kernel anticheats as you claim. Else you wouldn't be here on the forum crying about it. I gave you a CVE which contains a write up of a cyber security firm how it was being used by hackers to distribute malware, meanwhile you don't provide any numbers on cheaters just "Trust me bro, I have 1000s of hours of grinding in these games". You are also absolutely stupid if you believe that anticheats should take more precedence over computer security as you seem to be saying in every one of your posts.

And I do care but Kernel anticheats aren't the solution, they don't stop cheaters but introduce risk (especially if they have to run 24/7 and the company still needs to manually ban 20%). If you care so much consoles are currently cheater free as long as the game doesn't have crossplay, but I rather have that companies look for a better solution instead of introducing one that impacts people that play fair and square while cheaters are still a thing even in tournaments (you probably already forgot that people their PC would get fried because Valorant turned of the fan control software).

He quotes CVE-2022-27095 as if it's a proof of anything. CVEs do not mean people are getting hacked en masse. Period. If that was the case, Linux users would have been hacked daily. Look, mom, hundreds of vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel! Almost a dozen in just released Linux 6.7! 128 vulnerabilities in 2024 alone, vs. a single one in an obscure anticheat. The guy pretends to know about security and shows CVEs with confidence. That can actually work for gullible idiots, the issue is it doesn't work for those who actually work security.
          Hey look more proof you can't read. And more proof you don't understand anything.
          As I mentioned with the CVEs on Easy anti-cheat they aren't always privilege escalation or RCE. You pretend as if you know anything about operating systems at all with extreme confidence, it is sad and laughable. Then again you are a fanboy idiot.
          Also you work with security? HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH Omg, you cannot be serious?! That is the best joke so far. Took a while to pull that out of your ass.

You couldn't even properly represent the CVE details of the Linux kernel, only about 24 of those CVEs had an actual impact, 20 of those are related to Denial of service. And if you click on the only one related to code execution you will find that it was found in 2021 but wasn't disclosed until 2024 after they patched it and it has 0 references of ever actually being used by malicious actors.

Meanwhile 6 days ago CVE-2024-21338 was reported to be used in the wild (by Avast), and it affects the windows Kernel of both Windows 10 and 11, add to that that it was privilege escalation. If you look at Windows 11 23H2 page you will see 28 code executions and 15 privileges escalations in 2024 vs Linux their 1 and 2 respectively (none of the Linux ones actually saw use in malware btw). Yeah Linux has more CVE reports but they are more likely to be DOS and less likely to be used in malware, and again since we established you have an extreme case of Cognitive dissonance, CVEs tend to only be disclosed after they are patched, who knows how much more malware exists for Windows using unpatched zero day vulnerabilities.
          Not only are you shit at finding numbers, you can't even look at them properly too.

The fact that Mr. Nozo actually believes I'm being paid strongly indicates someone could be insane. Microsoft is certainly not a bunch of idiots to pay someone to shill for them among Linux fans on an obscure Internet forum. They do business. They don't care about a belligerent bunch of Linux warriors lying to one another. These warriors do not make purchasing decisions worth tens of millions of dollars. If they did, they wouldn't be here.
          Don't worry, I believe you are just an uneducated idiot. If Microsoft did pay you, they should ask their money back.
          Also why do you keep coming back to the internet forum then? Leave like you said you would.

Comment

Meanwhile Linux users happily git clone anything on the net and then proceed to install it.
            Users don't do that, only developer, devops or sysadmins do.
            On Linux much less often than on other platforms due to the availability of such software in package repositories.

No user system even comes with git or similar tools pre-installed, regardless of platform.

Well, I guess Linux distributions that specifically target developers, system creators or for continuous integration purposes might.

Linux users happily download binaries from the net
            That's the most common means for software distribution on all platforms.
            Most platforms have followed Linux in having one or just a few well known stores.

But out of curiosity: if users, regardless of platform, should in your opinion neither download sources nor binaries, are you recommending a third type of format or only using physical media as the transport?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

When searching, were you using Bing?
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                Could there be a correlation? The more the public uses from Linux the less economic growth they have .
                (instead of focusing on the real work of its quality and productivity, it's millions of people wasting time solving problems that don't exist elsewhere)​​
                No, its more to do with how Chinese gamers play games; Predominately on PC and more specifically in gaming cafes. We're talking a lot of machines that are on and logged into Steam practically 24/7, easily skewing usage numbers by quite a lot. These numbers fluctuate a lot because of these cafes switching between the "global" version of Steam and their locally run and regulated version (the "global" version being banned due to local content controls and service restrictions) every now and then.

As for why, I don't know for certain. Thou I would like to know why. However my guess is that its whenever something really popular comes out on the "global" version (which we use and these statistics are for) so Chinese users switch to it until that game goes trough the regulatory approvals necessary to release on their local version.

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post

A wall of irrelevant text.
                  • "The vast majority of Windows users install through exe" - Windows Defender takes care of that. Linux doesn't even have a univeral packaging mechanism because of no API/ABI compatibility between distros, lmao. Install lightweight VMs aka Flatpak/Snap. No antivirus for Linux either. I have a 10 years old piece of Linux malware ClamAV still doesn't detect.
                  • I've not dealth with malware on my friends' PCs even once for the past 15 years.
                  • No one works under the administrator any longer, UAC takes care of that and it's been like that for almost 20 years since Vista.
                  • Windows Defender has been near impossible to disable since Windows 21H2 and malware certainly cannot do that either.
                  • Not a single person that I know delays Windows updates, yet the vast majority of IT pros around me skip Linux updates altogether lmao.
                  • "install kernel software" - that's only a derailed imagination can come up with. I don't even know what you're talking about. LMAO. Google doesn't know either. Look: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22kernel+software%22 what the heck is this crap, sir? Are you talking about "Kernel Software | Accounting & Management Software"?
                  I don't even want to comment on the rest of the falsehoods you've posted.

Again, given your own testimony you neither use Windows, nor play online multiplayer games in it, yet you "expertly" opine about everything. LMAO. How do you know so much about this OS and it's obvious that your knowledge is quite dated?

And why would Windows users disable Windows Defender? Are you from a poor country where people use hacks to run stolen software? Normal people don't need this. I'm from a country where the average salary is 1/6th of what US citizens earn, yet software piracy has been mostly limited to kids whose parents cannot afford expensive games.

Any why would Windows users delay updates? Most shut down their PCs/laptops daily. It makes no sense to delay anything considering updates are pushed once a month.

Lastly you claimed kernel level anitcheats make Windows users wide open to attacks, yet here's your 8th message without zero evidence of that happening. You shit the bed with a lonely CVE, you expertly continue to do so. Considering the "administrator" thing you so expertly mentioned has not been the case for almost 20 years now, let's just say your arguments are void and null.

In essence:
                  • a single irrelevant CVE whose magnitude and implications you have failed to reveal.
                  • a broad claim that kernel level anticheats make systems unsecure that you have failed to prove.
                  • a broad claim of Windows insecurity despite most of the things you've mentioned are either irrelevant, or outdated or just outright false.
                  See, I can also use bold.

However the things I claim are widely confirmed by people who actually play online multiplayer games (not you) and use Windows (not you). Not Linux fanatics making outrageous claims. Just today on HLTV there have been at least five topics related to VAC and cheaters. Most deleted, the staff doesn't like them.

For the past 24 hours alone according to Google:

Last edited by avis; 05 March 2024, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• "The vast majority of Windows users install through exe" - Windows Defender takes care of that. Linux doesn't even have a univeral packaging mechanism because of no API/ABI compatibility between distros, lmao. Install small VMs aka Flatpak/Snap. No antivirus for Linux either. I have 10 years old pieces of Linux malware ClamAV still doesn't detect.
                    • I've not dealth with malware on my friends' PCs even once for the past 15 years.
                    • No one works under the administrator any longer, UAC takes care of that and it's been like that for almost 20 years since Vista.
                    • Windows Defender has been near impossible to disable since Windows 21H2 and malware certainly cannot do that either.
                    • Not a single person that I know delays Windows updates, yet the vast majority of IT pros around me skip Linux updates altogether lmao.
                    • "install kernel software" - that's only a derailed imagination can come up with. I don't even know what you're talking about. LMAO. Google doesn't know either.
                    I don't even want to comment on the rest of the falsehoods you've posted.

Again, you do not use Windows, you do not play online multiplayer games (given your own testimony), yet you "expertly" opine about everything. LMAO.

Lastly you claimed kernel level anitcheats make Windows users wide open to attacks, yet here's your 8th message without a single fucking proof of that happening. You shit the bed with CVEs, you expertly continue to do so.
                    LOL, you had to respond to everything again with made up experience, it never ends with you does it?
                    Its always your "experience" and yet you try to argue as if they are facts XD And your friends?! Come on spice it up a bit, at least say "my friends and the company I work for" if you are going to talk out of your ass. If your friends really depend on you to deal with malware then may god have mercy on their drives.

UAC also doesn't mean you don't work under administrator (a double negative, let's see if he can even figure this one out folks), it prompts you for Adminstrator privliges, how do you get so much wrong?!!! Have you never opened Powershell with admin priviliges? It gives you a UAC prompt, you press yes and bam it is running as administrator.
                    Flatpaks and snaps aren't VMs, I would ask where you heard that nonsense but I am sure you just made it up.
                    And the list was largely a joke, I even said so but I guess I should have said so in simpler terms so you understood (good thing I don't use too much sarcasm else you might start thinking I agree with you). And sure in a networking environment you will give users normal user accounts but on home PCs most users their accounts are admins and the UAC is just a Yes/No prompt for elevated privileges (and we already established you definitely do not work as a network engineer).
                    And you would actually hope people delay their Windows updates as they tend to break the OS (the most hilarious ones are those that break the network drivers as was the case with KB4515384 and some others, but the one last month breaking the taskbar is also pretty funny).

LMAO what OS did you think I played CS GO and CS2 on? It was Linux (that's were I even got Global on, still didn't share your rating with us)! How do you think I know you can play Apex Legends on Linux? Cause I played it on Linux! Wait wait, let me guess, the next shit you make up is how somehow these two games aren't multiplayer games. Out of the 100 most played games on Steam only 7 don't work on Linux and it isn't the game in first, second or third place by player count.
                    I love how you are now trying to go back to experience in multiplayer games, tell me again what is your rating or rank? Oh right you don't share it cause you obviously suck that is why you cry about cheaters. Inb4 you cry again how that is irrelevant when literally your experience is when it comes to discussing software security.

And I am a programmer by trade, Microsoft had to make WSL to lure some of us back (and it was so shit they changed their entire approach with WSL 2.0 but I doubt you understand the difference between a translation layer and a VM), what are you again except for a child playing video games? Meanwhile I can containerize all my applications, you know for security reasons but something (I mean your comment just now) tells me your knowledge on Docker and Flatpaks is non existent similar to your so called knowledge on Windows.

And holy shit you still ignore it, you still ignore that a cyber security firm brought up the vulnerability in the Genshin Impact anitcheat being used in Malware, it is insane how in denial you are. The proof is right there, it has been used before to actually infiltrate PCs and there is a risk it can happen again. Vulnerabilities in software is common, the best solution is too limit their scope of operation to lessen their impacts, why do you think even Microsoft looked into sandboxing applications with both UWP and Windows Sandbox? Oh you wouldn't know of that because all you do on Windows is play games (and probably while pressing Yes on every UAC prompt you get for them too, lol).

Again do as you said and leave, nobody is buying your shit here. Not because they are zealots as you claim (you're the Zealot FYI) but because you are just flat out wrong and you continue to state wrong shit and whenever there is something you can't possibly deny you act like a kid and go "Lala can't hear you".
                    The walls of text scare you because you can't read or process that much information, you keep making shit up completely, I never said it makes your computer "wide open" you moron, I said it introduces an unnecessary risk, it is amazing how you can't distinguish between the two as clearly the stupidity in your replies most come from somewhere.

Comment

Just ignore avis. The proposed idea that Linux is not an OS says everything you have to know about this forum member and his intentions behind his posts
                      Last edited by drakonas777; 05 March 2024, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X