No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches First All-AMD Linux Gaming Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't the Framework 16 be the first announced all AMD Linux laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by vextium View Post
      well but not tuxedo's fist all amd gaming laptop.

Comment

There have been many the past few years. Manufacturers have finally started to use AMD CPUs in their highend laptops, but still relegate AMD graphics to the low or midrange. It's true that top Nvidia is faster than top Radeon, so most buying the best want Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

LOL! You expect good AMD/Linux support for their APUs? Hehehe....
          My Dell Inspiron 14 2-in-1 Ryzen 7 5825U got excellent AMD/Linux support including screen autorotation, improved amd_pstate support with the help of Linux kernel developers, AMD contributors and Michael for a near complete out of box experience on Linux OS like Fedora Linux 39. Thank you very much.

Comment

Crazy it took this long, considering nvidia's linux history.

Comment

Still no trackpoint, some people will no buy it because of that.

Comment

Well the article did say "THEIR first all-AMD powered Linux gaming laptop." Regardless, Framework doesn't sell laptops with Linux on them so how does that count? Nor is it "all" AMD when they don't sell a model with a dGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimefighter View Post

Well the article did say "THEIR first all-AMD powered Linux gaming laptop." Regardless, Framework doesn't sell laptops with Linux on them so how does that count? Nor is it "all" AMD when they don't sell a model with a dGPU.
                  The first point seems like a bit of technicality. They don't ship with Linux on them (hopefully that's an option eventually), but they test and advertise Linux support. There are 4 logos shown next to the "Operating system" section. 1 of them is Windows. The other 3 are Linux (Tux, Ubuntu, Fedora). And there is an option for a RX 7700S dGPU. The more I look at that Framework 16 the more tempting it is. The EC firmware is open source. The input modules are using QMK firmware. You could upgrade the dGPU module and the motherboard on some alternating schedule every few years.

Comment

Need Framework to get that sweet RX 7900M dGPU module and also provide a path for these dGPU modules after they've lived their competitive life. Perhaps a framwork dGPU connector to OcuLink or something.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

The first point seems like a bit of technicality. They don't ship with Linux on them (hopefully that's an option eventually), but they test and advertise Linux support. There are 4 logos shown next to the "Operating system" section. 1 of them is Windows. The other 3 are Linux (Tux, Ubuntu, Fedora). And there is an option for a RX 7700S dGPU. The more I look at that Framework 16 the more tempting it is. The EC firmware is open source. The input modules are using QMK firmware. You could upgrade the dGPU module and the motherboard on some alternating schedule every few years.
                      Technicality? Come on! You need to offer Linux pre-installed to be called a "Linux PC". That should be a minimum requirement. LOL It is great they do support the use of Linux.

I did miss/forget they offer the RX 7700S dGPU module.

I almost bought a Framework when bought my last laptop last year but found a ridiculous price on a laptop (Linux runs just fine on it) and a Framework to have the same specs was almost twice the price.
                      Last edited by oldtimefighter; 26 November 2023, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X