SteamOS 3.5 Delivering Some Decent Performance Gains For The Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    I'm wondering if it's optimized Steam Deck itself or the OS in general for gaming. If CS:GO is that much faster, it would mean an even bigger gap to Windows.
    Considering how much performance has improved, and, that there are regressions, I think that makes it pretty clear the OS is what got updated and not the hardware/firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

When it hits stable - no. When it's in preview - yes. Just change the update channel back to stable and the system will rollback.

Originally posted by Nille View Post

He can Boot the other system partition. Hold the ... Button and press power while still holding ... Then you can select the system partition you can to boot. that way you can also access grubs boot options of each system partition. for example to reset a password.
      How many system partitions can you have? Is it just limited by drive space? That'd be great for gaming on the go, no need to fix anything when something gets weird or perf drop.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
        Kernel 6.1 means it could have MGLRU, right? I wonder if it's enabled?
        Running `cat /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled` on my Deck returns `0x0007`, like on my main system running kernel 6.5, so it seems like it is indeed enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Considering how much performance has improved, and, that there are regressions, I think that makes it pretty clear the OS is what got updated and not the hardware/firmware.
          But the OS also includes driver updates and stuff, I guess the FPS doesn't increase only because of the firmware. So I wonder if the overall performance of the game among distributions also increased a lot, for example because of amdgpu + Mesa update, and maybe DXVK-native update, if Valve games are based on it.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            How many system partitions can you have? Is it just limited by drive space? That'd be great for gaming on the go, no need to fix anything when something gets weird or perf drop.
            There are 2. System A and System B. If you are on B and install a System Update it write the changes to A and set it as the next Boot Partition.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

There are 2. System A and System B. If you are on B and install a System Update it write the changes to A and set it as the next Boot Partition.
              I see, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
                But the OS also includes driver updates and stuff, I guess the FPS doesn't increase only because of the firmware. So I wonder if the overall performance of the game among distributions also increased a lot, for example because of amdgpu + Mesa update, and maybe DXVK-native update, if Valve games are based on it.
                Well that's kind of saying what I was saying: yes, I think it's likely the kernel and drivers have a lot to do with the improvements. You mentioned Windows performance though, so, what Valve did is highly unlikely to affect that. Other distros are likely to improve but perhaps not as much if Valve did any fine-tuning for their own distro.

Comment

Working...
                X