Linux 6.6 To Support Rumble / Force Feedback On Google Stadia Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 To Support Rumble / Force Feedback On Google Stadia Controllers

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 To Support Rumble / Force Feedback On Google Stadia Controllers

For those that happen to have a Google Stadia gaming controller from the days of Google's cloud gaming service, the Linux 6.6 kernel is adding a new driver to enable force feedback (rumble) support with these controllers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Got a Stadia kit a long time ago as a bundle with Cyberpunk 2077. I think I launched it maybe twice. I don't miss the service at all, and I'm very happy that Google refunded me the whole purchase so I got a controller and a Chromecast Ultra for free. The controller is now being used for my Batocera box, so I couldn't be happier that the driver is getting these enhancements.

Comment

Really nice move of Google to add support after they cancelled the whole product.
      I bought the starter bundle back then as well and now have two wireless controllers for my little PC which runs steam. One Steamcontroller (that was cancelled too) and one Stadia

I had good experiences with Google hardware in general, their phones are unlockable (to boot unsigned firmware) and they support most of their hardware with multiple years of updates. Hope they keep it that way.

Comment

Wait, I thought Force feedback and Rumble is two completely different things. Take steering wheels for example: Force feedback is when it is resisting you when you turn it. Rumble is when it shakes.

Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
          Wait, I thought Force feedback and Rumble is two completely different things. Take steering wheels for example: Force feedback is when it is resisting you when you turn it. Rumble is when it shakes.

Am I wrong?
          Depends a bit on how you look at it. In practical terms the difference between "haptic feedback" (i.e., very precise rumble) and "force feedback" (as in actual force pushing back) isn't always very perceptible. The way it's done in the Xbox One triggers pretty much feels as if it were force feedback to me even though it's not. So in that specific instance I'd call it technically wrong but not perceptually wrong.

NB I doubt anything like that applies to the Stadia controller, but that aside. :P

Comment

It would be really great if this interesting gamepad would support also Xinput natively. As far I know it only supports Dinput and the XInput support has to be emulated via "Stadia-ViGEm".

And is it true that the BT support is only at BT LE aka BT 4.0 and upwards? My 8BitDo Pro 2 gamepad runs great also at my old iMac from 2011 which only supports BT 2.1 I think .
            Last edited by lorn10; 20 August 2023, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post
              And is it true that the BT support is only at BT LE aka BT 4.0 and upwards? My 8BitDo Pro 2 gamepad runs great also at my old iMac from 2011 which only supports BT 2.1 I think .
              That is correct. BLE for controllers is a lot of pros and very few cons.

Comment

Working...
              X