Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Deck vs. ASUS ROG Ally Arch Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Steam Deck vs. ASUS ROG Ally Arch Linux Gaming Performance

With the ASUS ROG Ally gaming handheld that began shipping last month I've so far looked at the Linux support for this device as well as looking at the Windows 11 vs. Linux gaming performance as well as the Ryzen Z1 Extreme CPU performance. What many Phoronix readers have been most interested in seeing though are the side-by-side benchmarks for Valve's Steam Deck up against the ASUS ROG Ally. Today's benchmarks provide just that comparison plus some CPU benchmarks too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

• Does the ROG Ally really have 12GB of RAM? I thought it was 16GB?
    • How difficult was it to install Arch Linux? What bugs have you encountered?
    • Would be nice to see IO tests for storage (max read/write rate) and Wi-Fi (using iperf3).
    • Have you actually gamed on either of these handhelds? What's your experience been like? Is SteamOS really worth it?
    Last edited by avis; 05 July 2023, 12:33 PM.

Comment

If the CPU and GPU of ROG Ally are undervolted and downclocked, I think the energy efficiency will surpass that of Steam Deck, and the performance will still be higher than that of Steam Deck.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
        If the CPU and GPU of ROG Ally are undervolted and downclocked, I think the energy efficiency will surpass that of Steam Deck, and the performance will still be higher than that of Steam Deck.
        But according to graphs when Deck and Ally has the same performance they have the same power consumption. And according to power consumption graphs Deck downclocks further having even lower power consumption where possible. Unless Crapsus invests in SteamOS support of course which I highly doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          • Do you intend to test the ROG Ally with preinstalled Windows?
          There is already a win vs Linux test on this device made a few days ago

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

There is already a win vs Linux test on this device made a few days ago
            You're right. I thought it was Steam Deck.

Comment

The comparison was a little unbalanced because SteamOS is running on an older version of the Linux kernel and is also using Mesa 23.1 compared to the latest Mesa 23.1.3, Michael it would've been better to compare them when SteamOS 3.5 is released, i think things feel a little rushed.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                • Does the ROG Ally really have 12GB of RAM? I thought it was 16GB?
                Maybe on the Ally the RAM is split into VRAM and RAM? All specs I've found say it has 16GiB.

Comment

Originally posted by Misel View Post

Maybe on the Ally the RAM is split into VRAM and RAM? All specs I've found say it has 16GiB.
                  It is 16GB as stated in the article, 12GB reporting is just due to 4GB allocated for vRAM.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jams3223 View Post
                    The comparison was a little unbalanced because SteamOS is running on an older version of the Linux kernel and is also using Mesa 23.1 compared to the latest Mesa 23.1.3, Michael it would've been better to compare them when SteamOS 3.5 is released, i think things feel a little rushed.
                    I can easily run a second round of tests when 3.5 is actually released...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X