Windows 11 vs. Linux Gaming Performance On The ASUS ROG Ally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mozo View Post
    Yet another proof Windows is useless and it lays only on monopoly basis. If these games were native and they were optimized for Linux in the way they were for Windows, the gap should be HUGE. Windows 11??? Don't make me laugh. One have to be VERY stupid to put Windows on a device like this. ASUS proves one more time that they are a Microsoft's slaves. Shame.
    Sorry but no. Just because you think that Wine's translation (or "emulation" if you prefer) is dogshit slow doesn't make it true, and so "optimized for native" won't be that much gains, if any, over Windows.

Wine has some slow parts, particularly those addressing filesystem stuff (those are really slow to translate), or where a bad/lazy implementation is done (without touching unix parts), but the latter can be fixed though, just send a better implementation patch.

But graphics isn't necessarily one of them. At this point,dxvk and vkd3d-proton are pretty mature. Squeezing "massive" performance gains won't be possible, unless it's some niche corner case.

Feel free to dream though!

Comment

Wine is awesome, I didn't say the opposite. But let be honest - we have to include layers overhead and this is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Very definitely an exciting time for handheld PC's, especially for gaming. For my part, if one can game hard on one of these units, I could also do serious field work knowing it can handle high power draw and high temps along with glare reduction. Where I live, the ambient temperature is elevated simply because the ground has high concentrations of minerals, which retain and radiate heat. Coupled with UV indices of 10+ throughout most of the year, ruggedness is a plus as the device air intakes would be drawing in dust as well as heated air.

Michael What are the chances of seeing LTS and stable kernels as well? Or possibly linking in other tests others have done (someone above mentioned doing a test) to your next article.

I feel these handhelds have a (potentially) much wider scope of utility than they realise.
        I heard rumors Sony is working on a new gaming portable device that will work in tandem with your PS5 , remote play, not cloud gaming.

Comment

Michael typo in 3DMark native, instead of Gravity Mark native

Comment

very please to see how it's panned out here with the ROG Ally. and also the pheripherals / necessary built in devices support isn't too bad either right?

what was the major one missing? wifi card?

Comment

Not bad at all, I think I'd prefer to use SteamOS3 on this device which is probably a better fit then ubuntu.

However these results show the AMD RT performance still needs some work which is not surprising given how slow progress RT has had under linux overall.

Comment

Wtf is up with that abysmal performance on acpi balanced? that's not normal! It is supposed to ramp up for applications that need it! What about P-state? is that better? That just HAS to be better right?

Comment

Originally posted by mozo View Post
                  Wine is awesome, I didn't say the opposite. But let be honest - we have to include layers overhead and this is inevitable.
                  It does have some overhead, yes. As you can see, performance is 10% lower than on Windows already. It's likely from this overhead.

You won't see "native" titles 100% faster than on Windows even with a perfect optimized port. But that's unlikely to happen anyway, most "native" titles are even slower than using Proton and DXVK because they do lazy translations.

Comment

It depends on the release quality. If they put the efforts they put on Windows releases, the results will be very surprising.

Comment

40FPS in CP2077 on low settings? Now I don't feel so bad about my 11th gen Intel i3-1115G4 getting like 15-20FPS on low settings with it's integrated "Intel Xe" graphics.

I have the lowest end 11th gen, 2C4T -- the dual cores do peak at 4.2ghz though! Although to keep heat down since these cores seem to be real spaceheaters, they get clocked down to like 2.2ghz once the GPU is getting pushed hard. Blah.
                      Last edited by hwertz; 26 June 2023, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X