Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valves Roll Out Big Steam Update With UI Refresh, Redesigned In-Game Overlay & Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeebus, where did that conty come from 🤔 Reckon that might be worth a stab.

Slackware might even be a decent platform to test on, as Arch moves pretty fast.

And U'm wanting ti be playing playing with Yocto...I need to quit my job to play Linux!
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      Jeebus, where did that conty come from 🤔
      That's my reason for not using it. It says its unprivileged but it uses the same directories under /home/username as steam native. The flatpak runs the container under /home/username/.var and is tightly contained concerning your home directory not invading it like conty does.
      Last edited by creative; 29 July 2023, 09:03 AM.

Comment

stiiixy

If you choose Slack, praise Bob! Excuse me I had to do that. It's sort of like sneezing. You might want to stay with stable Slackware 15.

Slackware current out clipped Arch's LTS, I am running kernel 6.1.41. Which I now have blacklisted to keep upon updates so I don't lose it.
        At the moment I am also running gcc-13.2.0, Arch is currently running gcc 13.1.1.
        Last edited by creative; 29 July 2023, 10:51 AM.

Comment

🚬🐧

Closest I could find to a pipe...yeah 15 is where I'll bash my head for a wee bit.

Conty looks and sounds (for now at least) like its for a 'disposable' machine, a bit like myself. Lucky I have a couple 3200G's floating around.

Tried CachyOS again; fucking thing never installs proper! Must be missing something on the boot loader requirements, where ut usually fails. I need to stop doing this stuff when I am wearing a keyboard for a facemask 😴
          Hi

Comment

I was just patient with it, I was up for over 24 hours straight cause I was so enthralled by getting back on Slackware after all these years, I had 15 stable setup and then thought I might be happier with the rolling release of it and then got the iso for it, cause I knew it would be quicker than waiting for a full system upgrade to current waiting for everything to download and install after I already had the iso for current waiting to be put on a usb stick. There's some new stuff that was new to me like the package manager being able to have the plugin for slackpkg+ and using some of Alien Bobs packages. I have done some slack builds too. Now everything seems like second nature again, I just came back from a reboot from updating Manjaro which I think is fantastic, but I have so much nostalgia for Slackware.

I remember compiling all my DAW software using the old manual method ./configure, make, make install and dealing with all the deps in-between for all the software like Jack, Qjackctl, Hydrogen, Ardour. Back then I was configuring and compiling custom kernels for real-time scheduling, which was pretty much a requirement for DAW work back then. It was insanity but I loved every second of it.

Slackware just fits like a glove for me. I like Manjaro but I feel Slack is truly my home at the desktop. The great thing about it is that now these days we have a lot of options for getting software on Slackware besides manually compiling. I actually have not used too too many 3rd party packages with slackpkg cause I know that could cause some issues further down the road. I have been really trying to keep it slimmer, simpler, and with the addition of some flatpacks which are very nice. As of now my system is fully setup.

I have both 15 and current on flash drives.
            Last edited by creative; 29 July 2023, 10:20 PM.

Comment

...you finally came to the conclusion as to why I seriously considered Slack, Jack!

Also openSuse, but thats because I need an Arch-jaro break.
              Hi

Comment

stiiixy

I think I stopped using Slackware some time around 2008, if my memory serves me correctly.
                Last edited by creative; 30 July 2023, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X