Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve To Launch Native Linux Game In July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve To Launch Native Linux Game In July?

Phoronix: Valve To Launch Native Linux Game In July?

Going back to 2007 we have been talking about Valve Software and Linux games after they were hiring software engineers to port Windows-based games to the Linux platform. Late last year we also got some confirmation of a Steam Linux client through some Linux shared libraries that had mistakenly shipped with the Left 4 Dead game client along with some other information we received through the grapevine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh come on! Not again the Steam for Linux story.

Comment

They may not support a game running under regular Wine but perhaps more likely is that the game was ported using Winelib, as was the case for the Linux version of The Sims. Still, that would be better than nothing.

Comment

If it's listed on steampowered.com, it will be avaible trough Steam. The 31st of July will be an interesting day. And yes, Postal III was confirmed for Linux, too, not only once, and is coming out through Steam, too

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          If it's listed on steampowered.com, it will be avaible trough Steam. The 31st of July will be an interesting day. And yes, Postal III was confirmed for Linux, too, not only once, and is coming out through Steam, too
          There are multiple games on steam that have linux versions. I think what's significative this time is that they list "Linux" on the system requirements, unlike any other game on steam that has a linux version.

But yeah, it seems lots of people like to throw the "it's difficult to supply different things for all distros, etc etc" argument around, so I think valve has a golden opportunity with steam of having a linux game package manager.

Comment

The headline makes it sounds like Valve is releasing a Linux game. They aren't. Valve did not develop this game. Whether or Steam is listing Linux because the game runs on Linux with Steam or just because the game runs on Linux without Stream and they felt like being completists, we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Everything is great and I would like to see Steam with those games for Linux but only one thing: ATI drivers :/.

Comment

I found this site several days ago and mailed the devs of the game:

Hi Reto,

That's right, I don't think the linux version will be available from Steam. However, we will be selling it from out own site, and possibly Direct2Drive too.

Cheers!

Alex

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Reto Schneider <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi

I just found this link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/900804/

Now I'm wondering how Linux can be supported when there is no linuxversion of the steam-client? Will we have to buy it from somewere else?

Thanks,
                Reto

Comment

They just copied and pasted the system requirements for this game from its original site.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    They just copied and pasted the system requirements for this game from its original site.
                    Right...or someone working at Valve doesn't know which platforms they support.

Comment

Working...
                    X