NVIDIA Publishes DLSS Super Resolution SDK 3.1, Including Updated Linux Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis
    I would be glad if Michael stopped posting any NVIDIA related news on Phoronix.

Most vocal Linux users have nothing but hatred towards the company and it's just painful to read comments here as if the company tortures, kills and robs Linux users 24x7.
    Eh I enjoy Nvidia compute on linux, and plenty of linux users feel the same.

It would be nice if something more cross platform like sycl and the stacks above/below it overtook CUDA... but CUDA does work great on linux.

Comment

while lack of DLSS (on all wine games) sounds bad on the face of it... we can still use FSR in the meantime. Which then is same thing which you would have on a superior AMD card. At least until valve / proton / wine / DXVK can eventually figure out how to support DLSS under wine emulation.

So maybe the more significant question here would be: if we got those brand new 7900XTX, would they support the newest version of AMD-only FSR (that is a better version of FSR that requires AMD hardware, the latest generation). Because then that would indeed be an advantage for the AMD cards in this space over NVIDIA (on linux). Personally I don't know / am not aware enough the situation so if somebody else can chime in here and tell us. Would appreciate that.

Then the other business is being more specific over which set of other features (not DLSS) exactly are lacking on the NVIDIA vs AMD. For example I have multiple monitors, which support different refresh rates. So that is one example where the NVIDIA could be broken. But is AMD definately NOT broken? Well what about on wayland?

See it gets complicated to keep track of what is and is not actually supported. Especially as driver versions get updated. So I wouldn't mind at all a table somewhere out there. That is on a wiki or github, that people can keep updated. So we can see at a glance those most common issues / problems. And maybe even an extra column for intel too to laugh at now. That would be genuinely helpful, instead of saying "ah it's no good", because some of us don't have multiple monitors (for example). So we would not all care about the same specific set of unsupported features. If you only have 1 monitor then no need to be bothered by that. Or what if you do have multiple monitors, but they can all be set to the same max. refresh rate? Well we need that sort of detail in such tables. To know who is going to be affected. I vote for Arch wiki to be a good place to put this stuff. Since being an ubuntu user it's my goto 1-stop shop for finding out all about my distribution.

Comment

Certainly open-source DLSS would help developers a lot.
        But NVIDIA is of firm believe that their secret code can't be seen by competitors ever or they may be able to compete?
        But the other reason I've read is they pull in fair bit of code from proprietary licenses from other private companies?

Putting ? on these claims as I do not know if they are true reasons. Just what I've read over the years coming from NVIDIA defenders.

At least we have the beginnings of a open-source nvidia kernel driver, even if it only supports 30 series atm (I don't think it supports 40 series yet?)

Comment

Working...
        X