DXVK 2.1 Released With HDR Support, Many Game Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dimko View Post
    It already can use it, just from console and NOT from Xorg/Wayland.
    I am aware, however the benefit of via gamescope, since dxvk is compatible I assume it should be handled somewhat similarly, is eventually one could add drm-lease support to gamescope to bypass the compositor for HDR without swapping tty

Comment

When can we expect HDR to work out of the box on Linux like Windows? What's the estimated timeline? Are we talking 6 months? 12 months? 5 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
        When can we expect HDR to work out of the box on Linux like Windows? What's the estimated timeline? Are we talking 6 months? 12 months? 5 years?
        hmm, considering that windows hardly works, but optimisitcally this time next year we should have somewhat functioning HDR, even if its via "hacks" like drm-leasing

Comment

`This is currently only supported under AMDGPU and requires kernel patches from the josh-hdr-colorimetry branch.`​
          so wont work on nvidia linux ?

Comment

Originally posted by PAUL007 View Post
            `This is currently only supported under AMDGPU and requires kernel patches from the josh-hdr-colorimetry branch.`​
            so wont work on nvidia linux ?
            As always with Nvidia, go beg in the forum, maybe pray to some god too. Otherwise you will have to wait for Nouveau to be ready or Nvidia for whatever reason suddenly getting interested in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

As always with Nvidia, go beg in the forum, maybe pray to some god too. Otherwise you will have to wait for Nouveau to be ready or Nvidia for whatever reason suddenly getting interested in that.
              Considering how it works on gamescope (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...42#post1365842) and it requires kernel patches, enviromental variables, and just one specific family of GPUs, it is not even close to be option on Wayland.

Basicly Valve did all work and whatever they made isn't part of Wayland spec, and is working on specifically for their use case. HDR for linux userspace still won't be existing for lonng (and knowing how each wayland compositor will do stuff in own way, i expect that stuff like DXVK_HDR will work on gamescope, maybe on one compositor and won't work anywhere else).

Considering Joshua himself is pissed off by how upstream work is done and that progress is going nowhere....
              Last edited by piotrj3; 25 January 2023, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                Considering Joshua himself is pissed off by how upstream work is done and that progress is going nowhere....
                its not really that there has been no progress, but HDR needs to suit a very wide variety of needs and yes, it is extremely slow, but still being hammered away on and refined, there is a LOT you have to contend with, from everything between accurate colour reproduction for creatives, to brightness normalization for people consuming HDR and SDR content at the same time (it's really not fun when you are looking at a white webpage and a video blasts so much light at you it makes it look visible dim, Thanks Apple).

so you have all sorts of tech needing their piece of the pie, and the wayland protocols need to work for people consuming games and video, to people making games and videos, you need to make these protocols suitable for everyone the consumers and the developers though I assume the development side will be a lot easier when a protocol is ironed out, or else you get what happened on windows, where everything looks washed out in "HDR mode" or you are relegated to HDR on SDR mode, where you need to use fullscreen apps and let the apps themselves exclusively handle the display and HDR.

or you get the apple problem where you need sunglasses to look at your screen. I don't think gamescope's method is "the right method" but I do think its the right method for them, I would love to see DRM leasing become a valid "HDR on SDR" mode for this, and would love to see other apps supporting gamescope for HDR, particularly games and if gamescope does find that DRM leasing will become a viable method for "HDR on SDR" even media apps I think could support gamescope.

I actually personally think HDR isn't as far off as it seems, I think the goal of 1-2 years that Red hat is predicting is a fairly viable one myself

Comment

My results so far:

Resident Evil 2 Didn't Work
                  FFVII Works
                  Death Stranding Works
                  Callisto Protocol Didn't Work
                  Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2 Didn't Work
                  Hitman 2 Didn't Work

I think Wine is going to need some HDR patches as well due to the notification I get in Callisto Protocol telling me that I have to enable HDR in Windows in order to enable HDR in-game. I've played 5 or 6 hours of FFVII and HDR is working though it causes a tiny bit of stuttering.

I find it funny that I've only had successful results with Epic games so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I actually personally think HDR isn't as far off as it seems, I think the goal of 1-2 years that Red hat is predicting is a fairly viable one myself
                    Ditto. Especially since it's already here in alpha/beta quality.

I meant to ask, because I've never done it, what's the command to launch mpv from the terminal on Linux with working HDR?
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 25 January 2023, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      I meant to ask, because I've never done it, what's the command to launch mpv from the terminal on Linux with working HDR?
                      you can test it with a very minimal config, I like to use no-config to make sure I dont have any settings interfering when I initially test, so far I have only had it working on amdvlk, but IIRC there are patches that add support for mesa drivers too, no idea if they have been merged or are in limbo, still trying to see if there is an elegant way to make it open on another session from the main session, but no luck so far, so make sure to manually swap vt first

Code:
                      mpv --no-config --target-colorspace-hint=yes --vo=gpu-next your-video-here.mkv

Comment

Working...
                      X