No announcement yet.

Valve Revises Steam Survey Results For December - Still Pointing Down For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trends over time available as usual on GOL.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    One thing I want to mention is, Deck users are only counted in this if they use Steam in the (terrible) Desktop mode, which I assume other people use as little as I do. If you are only ever in the SteamOS Shell, you will never see the Survey. So whatever there is in the Steam Hardware Survey, it is a tiny percentage of actual Deck users.
    Not true. It shows in Game Mode and has done since May 2022.

Comment

As of October, Valve has supposedly shipped 1 million Steam Decks... 2-ish months later, I imagine that number is higher. Yet linux numbers continue to trend down. Goes to show how much Valve is fudging the survey numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
        As of October, Valve has supposedly shipped 1 million Steam Decks... 2-ish months later, I imagine that number is higher. Yet linux numbers continue to trend down. Goes to show how much Valve is fudging the survey numbers...
        Some users install Windows on the Steam Deck. Which isn't that hard to do, given that it's basically just a small x86 PC.

Don't know how large the percentage is, but it is happening.

Comment

SteamOS 3.4 broke EAC for popular games on deck (One was given for free a few days prior: DKO Divine Knockout) and the sudden change directly to the stable channel changing mount points broke links to SD cards and thus Emudeck. On top of that it broke dual booting setups so I think some people just wiped SteamOS and installed Windows on their decks (assuming it's an actual usable experience).

This was just days before Christmas and it leaves a bit of a sour taste in your mouth. I don't like this with Windows and I don't like seeing it with Linux either.

Obviously EAC isn't entirely Valves fault and dual booting isn't officially supported, but the change to SD card mounts should have been announced ahead of time and sent to testing channels first. It was reverted, but for many this was done already after people were trying to fix up the mess created.

Comment

Well … there's a docking station with which you can hook up mouse, keyboard and a screen, so it's not that different from your regular PC.

Comment

I rarely launch Steam nowadays, playing on Epic & GOG via Heroic Launcher. So Steam won't count me in as a player.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
                [...]Yet linux numbers continue to trend down[...]
                Citation needed.

According to the steam tracker on GoL, the number of players using Linux has been trending up:
                image.png

Comment

Originally posted by ET3D View Post
                  Turns out DirectX 12 GPUs are down 0.42%​ while DirectX 8 GPUs and below are up 0.36%.​
                  Now that does not make sense at all. Since 2005, all new releases by Nvidia and AMD support at least DirectX 9. Even in some 3rd world backwater I'd expect that DirectX 8 GPUs and below are only a negligible part of the installed base by now.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
                    Citation needed.
                    Blame TFA.

Comment

Working...
                    X