AMD Radeon With Linux 6.1 + Mesa 23.0-dev vs. NVIDIA R525 Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Yep, there will come a day when RTRT is important, but today is not that day, 5-10 years in the future may be that day, but we can hardly predict what things will look like then. The simple fact is neither Nvidia or AMD's hardware is as of yet adequate for RTRT.
    I keep saying pretty much the same thing but with different words . We are at least 3 hardware gens away from that point.

But we have all these influencers (LTT, Jay, DF, TechSpot, Hardware Unboxed and many more) that care about RT and under the direction of the nvidia marketing team, they keep shoving down our throats “RT, DLSS and halo nvidia gpu”.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Yep, there will come a day when RTRT is important, but today is not that day, 5-10 years in the future may be that day, but we can hardly predict what things will look like then. The simple fact is neither Nvidia or AMD's hardware is as of yet adequate for RTRT.
      The professional VFX & Animation industry disagrees...

Comment

Turing/Ampere/Ada Lovelace is more future proof than RDNA/RDNA2 no question about it. When Tessellation was introduced in DX11 I bought a GTX 470 instead of a HD 5850 and that lasted me up until the GTX 780 Ti. All the AMD fanboys were complaining just like now about tessellation but I enjoyed the detailed surfaces. The same way I enjoy the accurate lighting from ray tracing now.

I have had a Titan RTX which I also use for deep learning since 2018 while the Radeon VII/RX 5700 XT doesn’t even support DX12 Ultimate. We’re also going to see continued use of tensor cores in games not just for RT denoising/DLSS like we currently see. But it will be used for physics simulation, character locomotion.

RDNA3 is the first RDNA GPU with hardware feature parity to Turing/Ampere and Ada Lovelace.
        Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 03 December 2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

I keep saying pretty much the same thing but with different words . We are at least 3 hardware gens away from that point.

But we have all these influencers (LTT, Jay, DF, TechSpot, Hardware Unboxed and many more) that care about RT and under the direction of the nvidia marketing team, they keep shoving down our throats “RT, DLSS and halo nvidia gpu”.
          i've been telling people this since turing launched in 2018. any card you will buy now, will not be good enough when raytracing is the de-facto standard. its the same as buying first generation DX11 cards in 2009 by adopting AMD's 5000 series and expecting it to still be able to max out DX11 titles by 2012 in 1080p when DX11 was finally the de facto for every mainstream game. by that time point you had AMD's 7000 series and nvidia's 600 series that crushed in DX11 performance and made those first gen cards look like children. same goes with first gen DX12 cards as well.

those rx 480's and 580's were great, and i loved my sapphire nitro+ 580, but by the time it took to where its more common to find DX12 games, they are so much harder to run now. all that debate over nvidia and async support is pretty much mute at this point because by the time DX12 mattered, most people ditched those 3.5gb 970's and left their 10000 series cards. nvidia's lackluster async support with maxwell and pascal didn't matter because by the time DX12 mattered, those cards stopped mattering.

and with raytracing, its even harder to run and newer raytracing games today, are more demanding to run that early raytracing games were in 2018 when turing launched. from needing higher rasterization support to more complex and more raytracing usage. we are three generations into raytracing and we haven't hit mainstream performance support yet. 4090 looks impressive, but we are still a few generations away where its mainstream ready all the way down the product stack.
          Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

that has nothing to do with the overwhelming majority of consumers in the mainstream marketplace. exceptions are not the rule. this is the same stupid mentality with CUDA to such a degree i still see people on normal people places like mmo-champion, a WoW forum, frequently ask how much CUDA they need to run WoW because they legitimately believe WoW needs CUDA.

i wish people didn't promote things that have no use at the moment for most mainstream people because all these things do is mess with their heads. they are already confused and these things make them more confused.
          Last edited by middy; 04 December 2022, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

They can afford the ridiculous prices for the RTX 4090 but for at a guess 75% to 80% of gamers it is out of reach.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
              Really strange numbers.

Also, for the ones that have fallen for the RT hype, i wonder why because according to this (nvidia sponsored influencer), the list of RT games is really minuscule to deserve so much hype:

Thinking about upgrading to a ray tracing capable graphics card, but are wondering which games support ray tracing and DLSS? Then we've got the list for you.

And dont tell me future proofing, because at it is, you need a 4090 to have an acceptable fps, with the typical cheats included in dlss and thats now. Future games would be worse, so theres no future proofing there.
              Add new PSU and case. For the current implementation of Real Time Ray Tracing, still a long way to go as a better artist can do more with raster like Eurotruck Simulation 2 did.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
                Turing/Ampere/Ada Lovelace is more future proof than RDNA/RDNA2 no question about it
                Turing is matched and frequently beat by RDNA2 when it comes to real time Ray tracing implementation gaming wise to the point some reviewers purposely omit it.
                In rendering like Blender, HIP-Ray tracing is on the way and will be interesting to compare with Optix.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Turing is matched and frequently beat by RDNA2 when it comes to real time Ray tracing implementation gaming wise to the point some reviewers purposely omit it.
                  In rendering like Blender, HIP-Ray tracing is on the way and will be interesting to compare with Optix.
                  Seems like you didn't read what I wrote, for example there's been confirmation from modders that DLSS3 can run on Turing. While Radeon VII/RDNA/RDNA2 don't have dedicated tensor accelerators. As I already mentioned future games will add physics simulation, character locomotion which will be accelerated with tensor accelerators like Nvidia Tensor cores, Intel XMX Engine and AMD's AI accelerators. Nvidia and Intel both showed demos using Nvidia Tensor cores making games photorealistic.

Enhancing Photorealism EnhancementStephan R. Richter, Hassan Abu AlHaija, and Vladlen KoltunPaper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2105.04619Code and data: https://git...

This AI breakthrough will allow developers and artists to create new interactive 3D virtual worlds for automotive, gaming or virtual reality by training mode...

You're forgetting that the Tensor Cores are doing the denoising in OptiX which is the reason it's quick.

Comment

Michael
                    You finaly NEED RX 6900/6950 for 6000 numbers...
                    ...before 7000 arrive.

Comment

Working...
                    X