Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRazer 3.5 Brings Support For Newer Razer Devices On Linux

Phoronix: OpenRazer 3.5 Brings Support For Newer Razer Devices On Linux

While Razer still sadly isn't officially supporting their various gaming-focused computer peripherals under Linux, the OpenRazer project providing open-source drivers for Razer products continues working out well and offering broad hardware support under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I gotta say, quality of Razor mice is pretty bad.
    Got Viper 8k, did not last half year, started to have problem with a wheel.(under some conditions wheel turns to opposite direction from actual rotation)
    On same 80 Euro mouse, no re-programmable buttons. No profiles.(just one button that changes sensitivity of mouse, and its at the bottom of mouse, so don't expect nice change of sensitivity in game, 'sniper mode')

Also OpenRazor is shit. It requires it's own systemd service! For MOUSE! And does fuck all with mouse rebinding, etc. I could only change RGB of my mouse there. Nothing else.

As much as I hate Chinese crap, looks like my next Linux rodent will be Logitech.

Comment

Yah, Razor not supporting Linux is actually the best thing! If you look at their Windows software, its basically commercial rootkit'ing! You plug a Razor keyboard into windows and every single reboot it demands that you either install their software or update it... and its horrible! Razor is a poison pill, keep them away from everything you can.

As dimko said above, they also produce absolute crap quality. I have had one of their keyboards, it lasted the longest but started to fail this year. I have used two of their MMO mice, neither of which lasted more than 8 months before the buttons started to fail... and I dont even play MMOs!

Stay far away from Razor.

Recently I have moved over to a split of Logitech and Corsair and I am very happy. Linux support for Ligitech mice through Piper is a bit glitchy but once you get the config to commit it works just fine. Corsair support through CKB has been amazing! Really happy with that. Yes... it requires a "service" to run, but that is more a factor of poor industrial design these days on the hardware. CKB best as I can tell has to stay running to keep the hardware in line, but it does do this very well.

In summary:
      1. Replaced Razor keyboard with Corsair K95 and switched to CKB-Next for configuration, been very happy for the last 4-5 months on this
      2. Switched out Razor Naga for Logitech G600 configured with Piper, very happy with it once I got piper to commit the changes (hotkeying KDE bidings is awesome!)
      3. Added Corsair Darkcore RGB SE for general gaming, to be honest this does not work as well under Linux, CKB-Next can only recognize it in test mode, but I generally just use it in my windows VM so not a big issue for me.
      4. As a bonus I use the Corsair VOID RGB headset for audio and meetings, it works great under both Linux and Windows. Previously used a Logitech but after a couple of years one of the speakers started to flake out, it looks like a solder joint issue, but have not pulled it apart to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        I gotta say, quality of Razor mice is pretty bad.
        Got Viper 8k, did not last half year, started to have problem with a wheel.(under some conditions wheel turns to opposite direction from actual rotation)
        On same 80 Euro mouse, no re-programmable buttons. No profiles.(just one button that changes sensitivity of mouse, and its at the bottom of mouse, so don't expect nice change of sensitivity in game, 'sniper mode')

Also OpenRazor is shit. It requires it's own systemd service! For MOUSE! And does fuck all with mouse rebinding, etc. I could only change RGB of my mouse there. Nothing else.

As much as I hate Chinese crap, looks like my next Linux rodent will be Logitech.
        Totally agree. My two Razer mice both began exhibiting failure two years after usage - one of them stopped tracking and began stuttering like crazy (and cleaning the sensor did not help), and the other presented issues when using the scroll wheel (cleaning it up did not help either).

Indeed, now I have a Logitech mouse and it just works. I have zero complaints (yet).

Comment

I am usually on a strict budget (and a firm believer that ~$60 is the upper limit of sane pricing for a mouse, slightly higher for a keyboard), plus people turn to me for recommendations, however they do not want to pay more than $15~25 for such peripherals, so I am currently using (and recommending) specific models from Lenovo, Logitech and (yes, really) unbranded mice and keyboards (usually after getting testing them myself).

One (sort of) exception, I bought for myself on eBay a 2nd hand (but unopened) A4Tech RBW-5 (rebranded as the Corporate Express CEG31548), since for my big hands, there is next to nothing on the market at the same or similar level (I would love a Logitech MX Master 3, or preferably 3S, everything before the 3 is too small to be worth it at these prices, and even then, only at a steep discount or 2nd hand).

I currently use an unbranded PC320A, which at around $18 at Amazon, is the best budget wireless keyboard I have ever used (don't use the accompanying mouse, however), although I would prefer the Lenovo 500 if it were available at a similar price, especially locally with my native language (however I would rather have a Keychron K5, but that is a mechanical/optical keyboard), and with my laptop, a Lenovo Howard mouse (for those with small hands, I generally recommend the Lenovo ThinkLife WLM210, or the WLM200 if they don't care about Bluetooth).
          Last edited by moriel5; 21 November 2022, 05:01 PM. Reason: Posting on mobile is buggy, with the keyboard covering up the text box, and messing with text selection.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
            Yah, Razor not supporting Linux is actually the best thing! If you look at their Windows software, its basically commercial rootkit'ing! You plug a Razor keyboard into windows and every single reboot it demands that you either install their software or update it... and its horrible! Razor is a poison pill, keep them away from everything you can.
            I haven't used their software as I am not a frequent Windows user, but I totally agree with this.
            I even remember the Synapse 2.0 era in where I had to create a Razer account... just to be able to configure a device. What a joke.
            I have to tell you that Razer's software has more functionality though. OpenRazer only supports basic hardware lighting effects and the ability to submit custom ones frame by frame.
            This kind of brings me back to the days when uChroma was a thing and had a whole software effect framework with so many effects implemented, and when I was working on my own effect system as well until I killed it twice - once for horrible code quality and then due to excess complexity...

As dimko said above, they also produce absolute crap quality. I have had one of their keyboards, it lasted the longest but started to fail this year. I have used two of their MMO mice, neither of which lasted more than 8 months before the buttons started to fail... and I dont even play MMOs!
            Yeah, my BlackWidow Chroma began presenting problems after one year - the E key would double press or miss, and sometimes the C key would do the same. The switches felt lighter and their clicking became quieter over time.
            Eventually replaced it with a BlackWidow X Chroma that has been working near perfectly up to this day (it's been 4 years since I first used it). Sometimes I did have an issue in where the right arrow key would stop working and the switch required some nudging for it to work again, but after cleaning it up the issue vanished.

Recently I have moved over to a split of Logitech and Corsair and I am very happy. Linux support for Ligitech mice through Piper is a bit glitchy but once you get the config to commit it works just fine. Corsair support through CKB has been amazing! Really happy with that. Yes... it requires a "service" to run, but that is more a factor of poor industrial design these days on the hardware. CKB best as I can tell has to stay running to keep the hardware in line, but it does do this very well.
            For me, Piper and g203-led worked way better than the official software! Logitech Gaming Software on Windows refused to recognize my mouse, so I gave up and tried Piper on Linux (and it just worked).

I sometimes feel like giving Corsair a try as I've heard they make high quality products when compared to Razer.
            However, two things pull me back:
            - the horrible, "gamer" font on their keyboards (this is where Razer wins with a neutral font), and
            - the lack of availability in my country. Most stores only sell Razer keyboards (besides the other lesser known brands and Chinese crap). Corsair keyboards are hard to find and if I do find one, it usually comes with a reduced warranty (the last store that almost sold me one only offered a 6 month warranty) and I never know whether it's in the US layout or the Spanish one (even though I live in a country where Spanish is the official language, I primarily write and read English and therefore I am accustomed to the US layout) until I buy it (because they don't have it in shelves)...

Comment

The sad thing is that almost all the generic gaming mice you can get on amazon are better than Razor, and just not a little bit better but by a large margin. Reddragon and Easterntimes Tech are two good examples, and they on average last even longer than logitech which are garbage. These generic mice are a lot cheaper too. I have never had a logitech mouse that did not die on me.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                The sad thing is that almost all the generic gaming mice you can get on amazon are better than Razor, and just not a little bit better but by a large margin. Reddragon and Easterntimes Tech are two good examples, and they on average last even longer than logitech which are garbage. These generic mice are a lot cheaper too. I have never had a logitech mouse that did not die on me.
                I love my Redragon K556-RK keyboard. I've had it for a little over two years now.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I love my Redragon K556-RK keyboard. I've had it for a little over two years now.
                  I have a DYAUS K509-1 RGB membrane keyboard by Redragon I love as well. I paid $23 for it. I went with membrane because it's much quieter than mechanical keyboards. The quietest you can get is a Kensington Slim Type keyboard with plastic scissor switches, those wear out though,
                  after a little over 2 years the switches start to break, damn good keyboard though you can barely hear it at all.

Do a search for T7 mouse on amazon, that right there is the best mouse I have ever owned for gaming. It's the one with a glowing blue T aegis on the palm rest.
                  Last edited by creative; 20 November 2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

I have a DYAUS K509-1 RGB membrane keyboard by Redragon I love as well. I paid $23 for it.

Do a search for T7 mouse on amazon, that right there is the best mouse I have ever owned for gaming. It's the one with a glowing blue T aegis on the palm rest.
                    My mouse is a bit more premium than my keyboard -- Logitech G600 MMO. All those side buttons are damn handy to map to copy/cut/paste/undo/redo/etc for regular desktop stuff.

It's actually on sale for $34 on Amazon right now, down from $79. I've had mine since Nov. 19, 2016 and highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                    X