No announcement yet.

Proton 7.0-4 Released For Steam Play With Many Game Fixes, More Playable Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing improvements and I am eager to see what is yet to come. Its coming closer to the turning point, where compatibility is met and then more and more improvements can be made, to be better than pure windows gaming in some fields.

I have witnessed the development since 2019 and always had a lot of tinkering going on. By now with the SteamDeck its a no-brainer. I switch on the deck at night in the very few time I got and work on that massive backlog of games like a pro atm. Just download and press play, no more thoughts necessary. Tho I will probably miss the tinkering at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      From your link,
      Copy on write is used when necessary to keep file contents intact, but XFS otherwise continues to use direct overwrites to keep metadata overhead low

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Yes, it means they only make a copy if they change anything. So copy-on-write means shared as long as they are only read.
        Makes sense.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Not quite. It is possible to have reflinks on non cow filesystems. For example, XFS supports it. A COW filesystem gets this by default and therefore people often refer to these features together but they are not strictly tied.
        Doesn't XFS support COW now?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Yes, conditionally. It is fundamentally still a traditional journaling filesystem.

Comment

Yes, conditionally. It is fundamentally still a traditional journaling filesystem.
            I see, thank you!

Comment

From your link,
              did you understand what it says? cow is used for reflinked files, because otherwise you can't have reflinks. btrfs also does direct overwrites over non-cow files.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                yes, it does. not conditionally, it just supports cow, because you can't have reflinks without supporting cow

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  yes, it does. not conditionally, it just supports cow, because you can't have reflinks without supporting cow
                  Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X