DXVK 1.10.2 Released With Many Game Fixes, Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 1.10.2 Released With Many Game Fixes, Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: DXVK 1.10.2 Released With Many Game Fixes, Performance Optimizations

DXVK 1.10.2 has been released as the newest version of this Direct3D 9/10/11 implementation atop the Vulkan API that is most notably used with Proton for Steam Play to enjoy Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not fond of the idea of game-specific bug fixes, if native DX doesn't have the same issues. I find such things to be duct-tape fixes when there could be a bigger underlying problem causing them.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm not fond of the idea of game-specific bug fixes, if native DX doesn't have the same issues. I find such things to be duct-tape fixes when there could be a bigger underlying problem causing them.
      Specific Locks are temporary in all kinds of apps till the main code advances enough. You know that right?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Native DX on windows have the same issues probably but they are implemented driver side for obvious reasons. When you see a new driver with game optimizations it means a freaking bus full of duct tape is coming to it

Comment

And I suppose also non-gaming applications aren't miraculously not affected by such app bugs, which makes me wonder if excluding any workarounds in API wrappers/drivers isn't generally destined to fail (i.e. it will never match close to native compatibility).

Comment

Linux users continue to prove they live under the rock. NVIDIA and AMD have been releasing drivers fine-tuned for various games for over a decade now, but "no, DXVK mustn't contain any game-specific bug-fixes".

Have you developed a single game, schmidtbag ? Do you know that a ton of them are incorrectly coded and require workarounds?

According to an anonymous NVIDIA engineer, "Nearly Every Game Ships Broken ... In some cases, we're talking about blatant violations of API rules ... There are lots of optional patches already in the driver that are simply toggled on or off as per-game settings, and then hacks that are more specific to games ... Ever wondered why nearly every major game release is accompanied by a matching driver release from AMD and/or NVIDIA?"

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              Specific Locks are temporary in all kinds of apps till the main code advances enough. You know that right?
              Uh huh. Go ahead and tell me that 10 years from now and see how many of these game-specific fixes have been removed. For example, closed-source GPU drivers have a hefty collection of application-specific optimizations. How often do they ever actually fix the drivers and remove those profiles? That's one of the things I've liked so much about the open-source drivers: they're so well-built that they can often outperform the closed drivers without the need of such optimizations.
              Granted, DXVK is less complex than such drivers, and being an open-source project, there is a higher chance of it being kept clean since there are too many eyes on it. But, this list of game-specific changes is growing rather quickly, especially when you consider how a lot of these titles are dated or not exactly the most popular. So - who is going to go back and check all of these?

Comment

added 60 FPS lock to work around game bugs
                Why would the graphics driver care about that

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Linux users continue to prove they live under the rock. NVIDIA and AMD have been releasing drivers fine-tuned for various games for over a decade now, but "no, DXVK mustn't contain any game-specific bug-fixes".

Have you developed a single game, schmidtbag ? Do you know that a ton of them are incorrectly coded and require workarounds?

According to an anonymous NVIDIA engineer, "Nearly Every Game Ships Broken ... In some cases, we're talking about blatant violations of API rules ... There are lots of optional patches already in the driver that are simply toggled on or off as per-game settings, and then hacks that are more specific to games ... Ever wondered why nearly every major game release is accompanied by a matching driver release from AMD and/or NVIDIA?"
                  See my previous comment. I'm well aware of such things. But AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Valve, volunteer devs, etc should not be enabling crappy developers.
                  I get it - if a game works on one platform, a competing platform is compelled to make it work or else they piss off their user-base. But when it comes to DXVK, where do you draw the line? For hundreds of titles, there's a lot you have to manipulate just to get a game to get to the menu screen, let alone render properly or actually play it. That's where things like Lutris come in handy - you only get the tweaks, fixes, and optimizations that you actually want and nothing more. Valve could do this pretty easily with Steam too, if they really wanted to. Steam already provides shader caches. DXVK doesn't need to be polluted with such things, especially since all of these will need to be maintained.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 13 July 2022, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Out of interest, what do you use if not Linux, birdie? I sort of automatically assumed you were a Linux user but I'm not sure why.

Comment

Working...
                    X