Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Marketshare Ticks Up To 1.18% For June

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Marketshare Ticks Up To 1.18% For June

With the new month comes the latest figures from Valve regarding the Steam on Linux marketshare and other metrics for the past month as a result of the Steam Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Arch Linux" 64 bit 11.42% -1.43%
    "Manjaro Linux" 64 bit 10.11% -0.98%
    Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64 bit 9.90% +1.86%
    Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS 64 bit 9.73% -2.02%
    "SteamOS Holo" 64 bit 7.58% +2.35%
    Linux Mint 20.3 64 bit 6.45% +0.48%
    Description:Freedesktop.org 21.08.14 (Flatpak runtime) 64 bit 6.05% +6.05%
    Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS 64 bit 4.79% +4.79%
    Other 33.96% -11.11%

Comment

IT WAS ME!

Yeah I got the survey finally...

Comment

Numbers aside, I think Valve's been doing a great service to Linux these past years. Cheers Gabe! Keep up the good work.

Comment

So the regular higher summer numbers again?

Comment

I'm suprised how uniform the top-5 is!

Comment

> likely attributed in large part to the Steam Deck now shipping and more users engaging with Linux gaming by way of SteamOS 3.

Soo... it's as much of a case of "Linux usage is rising" as with Android? K.

Comment

I started using Linux as my main os to game last month. It's a bit strange to reboot from Windows to Linux to game. Only a few game make me boot windows back because they are not compatible (COD Warzone mainly).

Looking back a few years ago a lot have improved greatly. Still you need to be a little bit tech savvy if you want the best experience (mainly installed proton-ge to enable async shader compilation).

My brother who never tried Linux switched also a few week ago because he was fed up with the direction that Windows is taking. Right now he seems happy, he mostly play single player games on Steam or browse internet. The only think that he miss right now is Solidworks, as he use it professionally he'd like to avoid learning a new tool.

All of this to say that the Linux usage increase is not only the steam deck.

Comment

I just wish they'd have a proper desktop release. I'm getting tired of waiting so I'm probably gonna install CachyOS just to get some V3 goodness.

anarki2 Sort of, but they're not 1=1 in regards to the user swapping out the OS. On Android you're lucky if you can unlock the bootloader in a manner that doesn't wipe all your data or even have access to custom roms once you've done that. You have hope there's a root exploit to backup your data before you run an installation that's custom tailored for your device. On the SteamOS/Steam Deck you can back up all your data without requiring Spectre or Meltdown and install any OS you want using standard installation tools. That's not a joke; exploits like Spectre and Meltdown are how you get root on Android these days.

The fact that people are getting the Deck and not putting Windows on it is a great thing. I'd like to see the Windows on Deck numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                    > likely attributed in large part to the Steam Deck now shipping and more users engaging with Linux gaming by way of SteamOS 3.

Soo... it's as much of a case of "Linux usage is rising" as with Android? K.
                    You try to appear smart but end up being the clown.

There's nothing special about SteamOS in regards to "Linux". Everything compiled on it can be run on your Linux desktop (if you have the libraries, or just use their runtime container, same thing). In fact, it's the same Steam, same Proton, same whatever, that runs your freaking games on both desktop Linux and SteamOS. It is desktop Linux but tailored for the Steam Deck (you know, because it is a handheld?).

Comment

Working...
                    X