Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 3.3 Beta Released With Updated Drivers, Many Fixes

Phoronix: SteamOS 3.3 Beta Released With Updated Drivers, Many Fixes

Valve has published a SteamOS 3.3 Beta today for those Steam Deck owners or those otherwise loading this Arch Linux based OS image onto their own hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some random suggestions for SteamOS:

- Change the default SD card filesystem to f2fs (with casefolding). Its quite literally designed for sd cards in low power devices.
    - Build packages just like ALHP.GO does. Performance and task energy with background/system stuff is particularly important on the deck.
    - Integrate VKBasalt and some select shaders into gamescope and/or the steam client, but force disable depth buffer access in the build. People would love to play with this if its set up for them.
    Last edited by brucethemoose; 30 June 2022, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I have the problem with the WiFi disconnections on the 5GHz band and it's sometimes really annoying. It's great reading it's fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

- Change the default SD card filesystem to f2fs (with casefolding). Its quite literally designed for sd cards in low power devices.
        - Build packages just like ALHP.GO does. Performance and task energy with background/system stuff is particularly important on the deck.
        - Integrate VKBasalt and some select shaders into gamescope and/or the steam client, but force disable depth buffer access in the build. People would love to play with this if its set up for them.
        Vkbasalt is really pushing gfx without a lot oft performance Costs. I guess well known but still underated. E.g. on pop is just apt-get install and than add the environment variable before %command%

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
          We used f2fs for a while until we figured out that it was quite unstable, destroying itself and then be unable to fix itself. We are now back to ext4 which just works, and it works equally well on the Steam Deck, SD performance is amazing, zero issues playing AAA games from it.

Comment

Hey everyone!

So, about "expanded keyboard support" I guess it's still only the virtual keyboard... Did anyone around here with a Steam Deck and non-English native manage to (re?)install the core packages required to properly set the full system (or at least physical keyboard) in non-English languages?

I had found some tutorial on Reddit which gave a list of commands to run but not many explications about each of them (https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/c..._desktop_mode/), and when at the "locale-genstep I come across a "cannot open definition file "en_GB" : no such file or directory" error. Apparently reinsstalling glibc package could resolve the trouble, but I'm kinda afraid doing it since I don't really understand those commands.

Wondering if any around succeeded and, if encountered same trouble, how you resolved it...

Comment

Been an Ubuntu guy for 10 years, just works. Loving Arch on the Steam Deck. `nix-env-chroot` does a pretty good job of giving me my dev toolchain without un-write-protecting the root filesystem. IE updates don't break anything and I still get to run things which need root write access. Bonus: learn nix 🤕

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                We used f2fs for a while until we figured out that it was quite unstable, destroying itself and then be unable to fix itself. We are now back to ext4 which just works, and it works equally well on the Steam Deck, SD performance is amazing, zero issues playing AAA games from it.
                I guess then Samsung engineers are just stupid, because they switched their phone's fs to f2fs. Google also uses f2fs for their Pixel phones.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

I guess then Samsung engineers are just stupid, because they switched their phone's fs to f2fs. Google also uses f2fs for their Pixel phones.
                  Different architectures, different devices, different operating system, different use cases. F2FS and even XFS are faster on flash memory, but we're talking 1% to 3% in synthetics and it doesn't correlate to real world usage (specially loading times). Even if the gains were major, it wouldn't merit the risk of data loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    Yeah I have heard others say this as well... how long ago was it?

My Arch root from 2021 has been stable, even with a bunch of hard crashes. But then again I haven't bee testing it *that* long, and I am running some perplexingly non default integrity checking options.

Comment

Working...
                    X