Wine 7.6 Released With Updated Mono, More PE Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quppa View Post
    I'm seeing a regression in Wine 7.5 (might have started in 7.3 or 7.4 - I was on 7.2 previously) where apps like foobar2000 don't render correctly when the DPI isn't set to 96 - would love to know it's not just me seeing this.

On a better note, the recent API sets work in 7.3+ means Adobe DNG Converter 14.x now works properly.
    Hello QQ. I bought a Intel NUC running Windows 10 as a HTPC and have installed Foobar2000 with DarkOne 4.0 theme. The NUC is connected to a 4k TV. Windows 10 is at 3840 x 2160 resolution and text scaling at 300% (both recommended by Windows). When I use Foobar2000 the bottom controls are VERY...

I am not sure if that is a Wine problem as such or a core foobar2000 problem. On Hidpi monitors on windows you are effecting doing compositor scaling so that foobar works on them. This would be equal to having foobar2000 at 96 dpi in wine then having gamescope scale it.

So this could be horrible case where wine has got closer to correct windows behavour and it broken the application because the application running under windows should be broken with the same settings.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Hello QQ. I bought a Intel NUC running Windows 10 as a HTPC and have installed Foobar2000 with DarkOne 4.0 theme. The NUC is connected to a 4k TV. Windows 10 is at 3840 x 2160 resolution and text scaling at 300% (both recommended by Windows). When I use Foobar2000 the bottom controls are VERY...

I am not sure if that is a Wine problem as such or a core foobar2000 problem. On Hidpi monitors on windows you are effecting doing compositor scaling so that foobar works on them. This would be equal to having foobar2000 at 96 dpi in wine then having gamescope scale it.

So this could be horrible case where wine has got closer to correct windows behavour and it broken the application because the application running under windows should be broken with the same settings.
      Thanks for testing - turns out I can't repro this in a fresh install, so there must be something funky with my environment. I'm due to do a clean install of Fedora 36 in the coming weeks, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Quppa View Post
        Thanks for testing - turns out I can't repro this in a fresh install, so there must be something funky with my environment. I'm due to do a clean install of Fedora 36 in the coming weeks, anyway.
        There are other reports on real windows of foobar2000 installs being funky with DPI settings then magically fixed after a either complete Windows reinstall as well or complete uninstall and reinstall of foobar2000.

The reality here is not all software is created equal. Bug hunting is a painful annoying process at times. The faq for wine does suggest starting with a clean wineprefix when you have a issue to attempt limit environment mess.

Basically from the existing reports I am not sure if you were seeing a Wine issue, Foobar issue or some form of environmental taint. With DPI settings and Foobar2000 there is something funky there thinking equal issues happen to some Window users.

This also could be the migrate to PE by wine as well as in you wine prefix still had old wine fake dlls instead of having the new real PE dlls the possible wine version for when the issue appear does line up.

Remember for developers to fix something the problem need to be reproducible and foobar2000 is not make that easy under windows let alone wine.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There are other reports on real windows of foobar2000 installs being funky with DPI settings then magically fixed after a either complete Windows reinstall as well or complete uninstall and reinstall of foobar2000.

The reality here is not all software is created equal. Bug hunting is a painful annoying process at times. The faq for wine does suggest starting with a clean wineprefix when you have a issue to attempt limit environment mess.

Basically from the existing reports I am not sure if you were seeing a Wine issue, Foobar issue or some form of environmental taint. With DPI settings and Foobar2000 there is something funky there thinking equal issues happen to some Window users.

This also could be the migrate to PE by wine as well as in you wine prefix still had old wine fake dlls instead of having the new real PE dlls the possible wine version for when the issue appear does line up.

Remember for developers to fix something the problem need to be reproducible and foobar2000 is not make that easy under windows let alone wine.
          Sure enough, a clean WINE prefix fixes it.

Comment

Working...
          X