Unreal Engine 5 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post
    UE4 was total disaster not even close to CryEngine and RedEngine. However, still better than Unity.
    Interesting - maybe better could be defined?
    There are only a few UE games I own - and even though are not really good - shiny, yes - but typically slow and buggy.
    Triple A games had been the domain of UE - but this seems to change.
    And concerning GNU/Linux Unity really deserves a good reputation. The quality of Unity games is generally better than of any other engine
    after my experience (having 630 games - 285 of them being powered by Unity).
    Maybe this experience may differ on other OS, but I could not imagine that by chance I had such a different experience.
    On another note - I would not use Unity or any other engine - but trying to use C++ libs and really get a feeling of what is to be done myself.
    So I am not a fan of Unity - but knowing that a game is done with Unity makes me feeling a little bit more to the positive side - but ony
    due to my own experiences.
    So UE5 is nothing I find interesting being GNU/Linux only. And the same is for Steam or use of non-native games.
    But this is may taste - and everyone may have his own opinion about those matters.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
      On another note - I would not use Unity or any other engine - but trying to use C++ libs and really get a feeling of what is to be done myself.
      Its easy to say this, until you actually release a game with missing features and run into all kinds of platform related issues

I'm a little salty about this because of Distant World 2's recent release, but its a good example. Here's a game with a experienced, engaged dev, a good community, running a custom engine with lots of C++ for speed, scalability and AI performance. It was beta tested for some time... and all that gets you a release that's buggy, unstable, and stuttery on a good chunk of hardware. And the last few releases alone seem to be targeting C++ related memory leaks and crashes you wouldn't get writing game logic in Unity C#.

I'm not saying everyone needs to use Unity C# or Unreal C++ without customizing it at all, but I am saying too many devs underestimate the scope of building a game engine by hand in the 2020s, and the size of the testing pool you need for a stable release. Unreal or Unity or Godot or whatever with a bunch of custom code can save devs a whole lot of trouble.
      Last edited by brucethemoose; 05 April 2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Has Unreal now a monopoly in the top notch graphics market? At least in the past there had been the cryengine or red engine etc. AFAIK cdpr wants to use the UE for there upcoming Witcher part. Making their latest engine for cp2077 negligible.
        Not really Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney has supported some of godot engine stuff. If I recall correctly GamesFromScratch asked about a godot tool getting an Epic games grant and Tim said to apply and Godot or the tool not sure here got a grant.

Also stuff bought from the Epic games store as assets can be used with other game engines. Like free Epic games assets are not allowed but purchased stuff is allowed. Read the fine print...

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney is probably Libertarian and is most likely anti-monopoly. Like Epic games was suing apple and google for anti-trust and monopoly shit...

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
          Does it crash less?
          Hold on I will let you know brah...

The installed version of the AMD grahic driver has know issues.
          Please install either the latest or recommended driver version.

AMD Readeon r9 200 series.
          Installed Adrenelain 2020.20.5.1
          Recommended 22.2.2..

AMD made a broken driver that does not install... LMAO

Hold on I will let you know brah... 🤡🌍 lol

Buy a new Amd graphics card? Not anytime soon... um k!

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            The editor? Can't recall crashing UE4 games unless the hardware was at fault. Fortnite D3D12 mercilessly triggers crashes with unstable hardware, be it RAM timings or GPU clocks.
            Yeah, the editor crashing did me in. I if this crashes less then maybe I’ll give it a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
              Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney is probably Libertarian and is most likely anti-monopoly. Like Epic games was suing apple and google for anti-trust and monopoly shit...
              No, he is not. Libertarians use term "monopoly" in it's classical meaning: exclusive rights granted by government. From libertarian POV "market monopoly" is a contradiction in term. Antitrust theory, from libertarians' point, is an excuse used by government to take control over economy.
              Tim Sweeney is just a crony hypocrite. He fights "monopoly" when this benefits him, but uses same "monopoly" to get his profits. It is not OK to have single shop on other people platforms, like ios, but it is OK to have single shop in his Fortnite.
              The funniest thing is it looks like he really believes in all these "antitrust theory" BS. When EG had dominance on the game engine market and Unity appeared Tim Sweeney have taken same action which, according to antitrust theory, monopoly would do: he cut price below costs to crush a competitor. And he had proven antitrust theory is wrong: the major result of this action is EG almost gone broke, he had to sell half of his company and to become a Tencent's puppet. But he never learned his lesson: now he tries to squeeze into PC games delivery market by using strategy from "monopoly playbook", he uses money from one market to perform "unfair competition" to conquer another market. According to recent news, this doesn't work too.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                Has Unreal now a monopoly in the top notch graphics market? At least in the past there had been the cryengine or red engine etc. AFAIK cdpr wants to use the UE for there upcoming Witcher part. Making their latest engine for cp2077 negligible.
                Well, I sure hope the next Unreal tournament version will be nice.
                But the top notch graphics Engine IMHO is the of the CryEngine by Robertspaceindustries - aka Star Citizen guys.
                What they did (practically a complete over-howl/rewrite of the Cry-Engine to 64Bit), the way it stream- loads etc. is really amazing.
                Last edited by Smurphy; 06 April 2022, 04:59 AM.
                Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Its easy to say this, until you actually release a game with missing features and run into all kinds of platform related issues

I'm a little salty about this because of Distant World 2's recent release, but its a good example. Here's a game with a experienced, engaged dev, a good community, running a custom engine with lots of C++ for speed, scalability and AI performance. It was beta tested for some time... and all that gets you a release that's buggy, unstable, and stuttery on a good chunk of hardware. And the last few releases alone seem to be targeting C++ related memory leaks and crashes you wouldn't get writing game logic in Unity C#.

I'm not saying everyone needs to use Unity C# or Unreal C++ without customizing it at all, but I am saying too many devs underestimate the scope of building a game engine by hand in the 2020s, and the size of the testing pool you need for a stable release. Unreal or Unity or Godot or whatever with a bunch of custom code can save devs a whole lot of trouble.
                  I understand the reasoning - but the implications are wrong from my point of view - but I am no programmer (I did it in some cases).
                  Another thing is that I am GNU/Linux only - so the situation my differ on other OSs.

Concerning programming there are points which are just true (-> just to open a good discussion):
                  1) Any programmer should be experienced in the language used.
                  2) Skilled programmers made the point that a good programmer is seen by code - any language used will appear as if it was made for the task at hand.
                  3) There are two 1st class languages: C and C++, the rest is second class. Only for those high optimizing compilers exist for all architectures. It is as simple as that.
                  4) It was proved that C and C++ can be used for any purpose. And those are written for portability!
                  5) Reusing code is good - if the code is high quality. That's the reason we use libraries. But source code should be available for checking and altering.

Writing an engine is a hard task - but done by several developers in a really impressive way (small teams tending to be better than large ones).
                  I know trash games using Unity (rare cases - but they exist) - so one can misuse any engine.
                  I know good games using UE (but not on the action side and also rare cases).
                  There is no programming language avoiding bugs - no language with inbuilt security.
                  If you know, what you are doing, and do care and test and listen to users, such languages like C and C++ are perfect languages.
                  I have never seen good Java code (bug free & efficient) - and garbage collection is nothing which could impress me.
                  Java, C# and Python are scripting languages for me (and I know - they are said to be complete languages).
                  And if it is about memory leaks - there is a big one in "Children of Morta" (a really good game - but totally neglected GNU/Linux port) using Unity.
                  Don't get me wrong - this will be most probable in the devs code and not in the engine code.
                  So it is all about caring - maybe the update will come finally to GNU/Linux someday - or it is abandoned and the money was wasted on gamers side.
                  If people make money about first 3 years - why should anyone care for more than 5 years?
                  Most gamers play and forget. The smartphone generation with quality being unheard of.
                  People think 140 Hz does make a difference - that ray tracing brings reality even with ridiculous FullHD - and that smartphone with higher res than FullHD are better ... not quite.
                  And that's my point about programming - explaining quality and how to get it from students - so starting with a small library and building up
                  simple games - and improve on them. Just an idea with first tasks started - time will tell.
                  But while choice of language or game engine/libraries is decisive ... most important is dedication, commitment and care.
                  There are 1-man shows giving their game for free and reacting in 24 hours with patches - and big companies with more than 3 people wining about small team and not fixing bugs.
                  If one take a careful look in gaming business one could see this as a pattern or even a rule, unfortunately.
                  Thus I have never seen a triple A game I would call at least "interesting" ... maybe big business and passion don't mix.
                  But could all be a matter of taste disturbing my view ...
                  Coming back to the quote starting with "until you actually release a game with missing features and run into all kinds of platform related issues".
                  Does anyone think of the positive programmer I depicted above who would release before all feature promised are done and all issues found in testing
                  concerning bugs and performance on all aimed targets are fixed?
                  There will be some bugs left - so after releasing is bug crunching phase - but most should have a pleasant experience.
                  So the very start of argumentation was wrong ... and the 1st prototype should be available for free to get as much qualified feedback as possible.
                  When you install a game and start it and get an error or a black screen (when lots of games work perfectly on that system which is common) - no one has tested at all.
                  So just click on refund ... that's gaming business.

Comment

Interesting - maybe better could be defined?
                    There are only a few UE games I own - and even though are not really good - shiny, yes - but typically slow and buggy.
                    Triple A games had been the domain of UE - but this seems to change.
                    And concerning GNU/Linux Unity really deserves a good reputation. The quality of Unity games is generally better than of any other engine
                    after my experience (having 630 games - 285 of them being powered by Unity).
                    Maybe this experience may differ on other OS, but I could not imagine that by chance I had such a different experience.
                    So I am not a fan of Unity - but knowing that a game is done with Unity makes me feeling a little bit more to the positive side - but ony
                    due to my own experiences.
                    So UE5 is nothing I find interesting being GNU/Linux only. And the same is for Steam or use of non-native games.
                    But this is may taste - and everyone may have his own opinion about those matters.
                    I wasn't talking from the Linux user perspective in this case. I have a few (that I'm aware of) Unity games: Wasteland 2, 7 Days to Die, Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2 and Tyranny (Unity?). There are always performance problems with them. Graphically it's from good to mediocre sometimes, but it depends on game architecture. However, they work natively on Linux which is great. On the other hand I have Ark and Assetto Corsa Competizione. On the highest settings they look and work better than Unity games, but they're blurry as hell and there's no Linux support at all (ACC works via Proton, though). I'm also not interested in UE5. I prefer to have improved Unity engine and games using engines like CryEngine and RedEngine.

And one more thing when comes to engines: Spring engine is very impressive for RTS games. Beyond All Reasons (Total Annihilation spiritual successor) is great example of this. 0ad engine is also great imo.
                    Last edited by Volta; 06 April 2022, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I understand the reasoning - but the implications are wrong from my point of view - but I am no programmer (I did it in some cases).
                      Another thing is that I am GNU/Linux only - so the situation my differ on other OSs.

Concerning programming there are points which are just true (-> just to open a good discussion):
                      1) Any programmer should be experienced in the language used.
                      2) Skilled programmers made the point that a good programmer is seen by code - any language used will appear as if it was made for the task at hand.
                      3) There are two 1st class languages: C and C++, the rest is second class. Only for those high optimizing compilers exist for all architectures. It is as simple as that.
                      4) It was proved that C and C++ can be used for any purpose. And those are written for portability!
                      5) Reusing code is good - if the code is high quality. That's the reason we use libraries. But source code should be available for checking and altering.

Writing an engine is a hard task - but done by several developers in a really impressive way (small teams tending to be better than large ones).
                      I know trash games using Unity (rare cases - but they exist) - so one can misuse any engine.
                      I know good games using UE (but not on the action side and also rare cases).
                      There is no programming language avoiding bugs - no language with inbuilt security.
                      If you know, what you are doing, and do care and test and listen to users, such languages like C and C++ are perfect languages.
                      I have never seen good Java code (bug free & efficient) - and garbage collection is nothing which could impress me.
                      Java, C# and Python are scripting languages for me (and I know - they are said to be complete languages).
                      And if it is about memory leaks - there is a big one in "Children of Morta" (a really good game - but totally neglected GNU/Linux port) using Unity.
                      Don't get me wrong - this will be most probable in the devs code and not in the engine code.
                      So it is all about caring - maybe the update will come finally to GNU/Linux someday - or it is abandoned and the money was wasted on gamers side.
                      If people make money about first 3 years - why should anyone care for more than 5 years?
                      Most gamers play and forget. The smartphone generation with quality being unheard of.
                      People think 140 Hz does make a difference - that ray tracing brings reality even with ridiculous FullHD - and that smartphone with higher res than FullHD are better ... not quite.
                      And that's my point about programming - explaining quality and how to get it from students - so starting with a small library and building up
                      simple games - and improve on them. Just an idea with first tasks started - time will tell.
                      But while choice of language or game engine/libraries is decisive ... most important is dedication, commitment and care.
                      There are 1-man shows giving their game for free and reacting in 24 hours with patches - and big companies with more than 3 people wining about small team and not fixing bugs.
                      If one take a careful look in gaming business one could see this as a pattern or even a rule, unfortunately.
                      Thus I have never seen a triple A game I would call at least "interesting" ... maybe big business and passion don't mix.
                      But could all be a matter of taste disturbing my view ...
                      Coming back to the quote starting with "until you actually release a game with missing features and run into all kinds of platform related issues".
                      Does anyone think of the positive programmer I depicted above who would release before all feature promised are done and all issues found in testing
                      concerning bugs and performance on all aimed targets are fixed?
                      There will be some bugs left - so after releasing is bug crunching phase - but most should have a pleasant experience.
                      So the very start of argumentation was wrong ... and the 1st prototype should be available for free to get as much qualified feedback as possible.
                      When you install a game and start it and get an error or a black screen (when lots of games work perfectly on that system which is common) - no one has tested at all.
                      So just click on refund ... that's gaming business.
                      As a programmer working with Unreal, I have to add a few cents here:
                      • Unreal uses a Garbage Collector for everything that inherits from UObject (meaning: all Actors, Components, etc.). That's why most Unreal games have very noticeable stutters every few seconds.
                      • There are languages with more saftey built in than what C/C++ offer. Using those languages can rule out certain classes of bugs. I am not talking about languages that rely on GC, but about languages that offer compiler support for object lifetimes. However, with Unreal using a code generator for its C++ type system and reflection, one cannot easily use any other language for full UObjects. What one can do (and what Unreal internally does with ISPC) is to implement individual functions in other languages, or if it's a subsystem that has a small-ish interface, that subsystem can be written in an external library as well. (There are some limitations on consoles, for instance using any language not supported by LLVM might rule out certain consoles.)
                      • I strongly disagree on your point 2. I'd rather say that a skilled programmer uses the best tool for a given task, instead of adopting the "if your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" mindset. That's also why in Unreal some functions are written in ISPC, instead of C++, and others are written in SSE2 intrinsics.

Comment

Working...
                      X