Steam On Linux For March Drops Down To 1.00%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
    A better example will be a completely statically linked binary, using musl libc, which can be statically linked, unlike Glibc.
    Good luck if you use C++.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Good luck if you use C++.
      Oh yeah, also have to compile libstdc++ or libcxx.

Lucky me, I use rust, which provides out-of-box support for musl.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Don't you mean LD_LIBRARY_PATH? LD_PRELOAD isn't exactly the right tool for making sure that all of your libraries are coming from the image where they've been linked against the version of glibc you're specifying.
        yes you are right, not used it in a long while...

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
          A tiny percentage of the hardcore gamers are tweakers... that is just being disingenuous.
          Disingenuous? Perhaps, my brother is a hardcore gamer and taught himself how to code. He is writing a game engine from scratch and it has vulkan support. My brother and I worked in construction , factories and trucking... etc. I am kinda dumb as dirt with coding because I am dyslexic but I am his rubber ducky.

"41 years of damage"? . I use to play games so much I had to get elbow carpal tunnel surgery. Sawed my knee cap a couple of years ago with a circular saw... So I know a few things about damage and I know about damage control too.

"A tiny percentage..." In this world that we co-exit in it is the tiny percentage that are the real movers and shakers. I get your argument about being disingenuous but it is those that have a vision or a dream that change things against all odds.

"Not acknowledging that is just insane."? Ya well It is better to be insane then out of sane...

Getting drunk kinda ranty my bad.. but my brother and I love gaming and have 41+ years of damage... We are playing a long game here a drop in the bucket soon over fills...

LMAO perhaps it is time to step away from the keyboard lol

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Most of the games are made for Windows if you didn't notice. However, this is changing. Most people don't understand how broken and insecure Windows is. Windows is like religion - if you're born in it, it's hard to get out, because of fear.
            If you happen to have games that don't run well under WINE/Proton, you can choose between keeping Windows (at least as dual boot) or going Linux only and dropping those games.
            I'm currently in the first group due to World Of Tanks and From the Depths. Other stuff is fine, or went from "does not run" to "fine" in the last months.
            WOT sometimes runs under Linux on my old machine, sometimes not. It seems to depend on the current WOT version, the current GPU driver version in Linux and the phases of the moon ;-).
            From the Depths, which I really like, runs on Linux via Steam, but has a tendency to crash. The Windows version works reliably under Windows.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Admitting issues with something is not hating it. This is rampant fanboyism talking in you. When you decided to start using Linux, you seemingly thought of yourself as a sort of super human, a hero, a distinguished person. Nope, you're neither of that.
            OK, but your level of complaints about Linux goes far beyond finding the occasional flaw. You seem to dislike it as much as I dislike Windows 8 and above.
            I still have Windows 7 as dual boot, but my windows partition will die the moment I get new hardware that does not have Win7 drivers. What is your reason to keep Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
              OK, but your level of complaints about Linux goes far beyond finding the occasional flaw. You seem to dislike it as much as I dislike Windows 8 and above.
              I still have Windows 7 as dual boot, but my windows partition will die the moment I get new hardware that does not have Win7 drivers. What is your reason to keep Linux?
              You might also find this useful: Using Windows after 15 years on Linux.

I’ve been using Linux exclusively for ~15 yrs. I’ve recently started a fantastic new job – the only wrinkle was that it came with a Windows 10 laptop.

This is my first time using Windows after a 15-year break. This is how it’s been going.

Comment

Quotes please. I don't remember ever saying "I dislike Linux".

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Quotes please. I don't remember ever saying "I dislike Linux".
                  You have not literally used "dislike", but you made some negative comments with a lot of hyperbole. Also note that I wrote "seem to dislike".
                  The real issue is packaging and applications. In bug ridden broken malware infested Windows (all myths btw), you run an .exe and it. just. works.

Wake me up when it's the case with Linux. In year 2122 maybe?
                  (emphasis mine).
                  Overall you can never rely on Linux. It's a lego with broken pieces which sometimes works by sheer luck.
                  Only sometimes and with sheer luck? Based on what others in this forum (and elsewhere) wrote, it cannot be that bad and you must have noticed. Also, in Michael's benchmarks applications/games he has to drop because they don't run have become rare. My own experience is better too.

I hasten to add that I don't count Windows stuff under Wine/Proton here. Those were not designed for Linux in the first place, if one gets them to run via a compatibility layer anyway that is a bonus. This is different for an OS like ReactOS that explicitly aims for Windows compatibility. If Windows software does not run there, it is indeed a shortcoming.

I'm leaving out your other comments because they look more reasonable, even if the overall tone is still negative. Those might be honest observations after all.

Last edited by Rabiator; 08 April 2022, 02:49 AM.

Comment

You have not literally used "dislike", but you made some negative comments with a lot of hyperbole. Also note that I wrote "seem to dislike".
                    (emphasis mine).

Only sometimes and with sheer luck? Based on what others in this forum (and elsewhere) wrote, it cannot be that bad and you must have noticed. Also, in Michael's benchmarks applications/games he has to drop because they don't run have become rare. My own experience is better too.

I hasten to add that I don't count Windows stuff under Wine/Proton here. Those were not designed for Linux in the first place, if one gets them to run via a compatibility layer anyway that is a bonus. This is different for an OS like ReactOS that explicitly aims for Windows compatibility. If Windows software does not run there, it is indeed a shortcoming.

I'm leaving out your other comments because they look more reasonable, even if the overall tone is still negative. Those might be honest observations after all.
                    So, we've had 30 years to have inter-distro compatibility and we have basically none, and no one is even thinking about that (aside from AppImage, FlatPak and Snap all of which I dismiss completely because they are the wrong solution to the issue) and I said it would be year 2122 when it gets solved and you think it's a hyperbole? What makes you think it's not a hyperbole?

I've been using for Linux 25 years now and while some things have started to work/look better, e.g. hardware support is miles better than when I started everything else is roughly the same.

25 years ago:
                    • You have issues with Xorg preventing it from starting thus it gets restarted infinitely? Still an issue.
                    • Audio doesn't work for some reasons - go figure out why - break your neck back then? Absolutely the same right now.
                    • You have your system up and running but some devices don't work - go figure out why. In 2022? Abso-fucking-lutely the same. No device manager in Linux of any kind.
                    • Applications segfaulting or crashing for no obvious reasons? In 2022? Abso-fucking-lutely the same.
                    • I want to use a compiled application X from another distro it won't start because "Shared library not found"? In 2022? Abso-fucking-lutely the same.
                    • I want to increase font sizes everywhere including the Linux console? Um, good fucking luck with that.
                    • The system is not suspending or resuming properly? Um, good fucking luck figuring out why.
                    • revoke() in Linux maybe? No one fucking cares meanwhile people continue to have issues.
                    • Video encoding/decoding hardware acceleration in all applications maybe? No? A single API for that? No?
                    • 30/36bit-depth color support maybe? HDR? No?
                    etc. etc. etc.

Also, let's be fucking honest here. I spent two hours setting up my Windows 10 installation six years ago. It's worked ever since than without a single fucking issue. Again, let me be honest: not a single fucking issue. I've installed over 70 cumulative updates, nothing has broken, everything works. I've update graphics drivers at least a dozen times as well.

For the past six years I've spent at the very least 200 hours attending to various issues with my Linux installation, starting from the kernel and ending with user space
                    applications.

You must have zero modesty and respect to yourself to tell me I'm exaggerating issues with Linux. I'm not. I'm blunt and honest. You don't like my manners? Well, boohoo, I'm not writing a poem for you.

I see nothing positive about Linux, correct. There's no OS (thousands of incompatible distros don't count), and even individual distros are not well suited for the average Joe.

Comment

Also, let me tell you how I despise hate the Linux community.

No other community that I've ever dealt with has these wonderful traits:
                      • Attacks, hatred, ridicule of companies which don't release open source software/drivers. "F you NVIDIA"? 147 results according to Google.
                      • Infinite and equally stupid arguments about things which should just work (Xorg vs. Wayland, ALSA vs OSS, ALSA vs PulseAudio)
                      • Hatred towards Intel (despite Intel contributing to Linux a ton more and earlier than AMD) and AMD worshipping (despite price gouging with Ryzen 5000 and RDNA 2).
                      And a personal example: I was banned on r/Linux several years ago because of a private interaction with a moderator. I did not infringe on any guidelines or rules. I've asked them at least a dozen times to unban my account. The result of writing to "Message the mods"? No one is even fucking replying. Nil, nada, zilch.
                      Last edited by birdie; 08 April 2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X