Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Officially Launches Luna In The US - Limited Linux Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amazon Officially Launches Luna In The US - Limited Linux Support

    Phoronix: Amazon Officially Launches Luna In The US - Limited Linux Support

    After announcing Amazon Luna back in 2020 as their cloud gaming service, today Amazon officially rolled it out to all US users. With this launch also comes a limited, rotating selection of games free to Amazon Prime members...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Luna-US-Launch

  • #2
    I wonder if Luna actually needs OS specific components (...Widevine? Some kind of controller or decoding API?), or if spoofing your user agent/OS would be enough to placate it.


    Anyway, I know there isn't much love for game streaming on tech forums, but I think its a neat way to demo games.
    Last edited by brucethemoose; 01 March 2022, 01:43 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      demo? i have over 145h and counting in cyberpunk 2077 alone on stadia, not counting quite a few other games i either don't have time to finish (countless rpgs and not only - and i'm talking only about AAA titles) or i haven't even started playing yet.

      works like a charm. started on linux, now using macos. works under chrome/chromium, you can use either keyboard + mouse or gamepad. i even bought gamesir x2 to use it with my phone, since sometimes it's better to get a break from big screen when you're sitting in front of it whole day.

      Comment


      • #4
        While fedora is the best foss distro out there, their firefox build are stripped, cannot play drm media, i have to use official chrome for it.

        Comment


        • #5
          I actually have Luna and it's pretty good. I run it via a Fire Cube & the Luna Controller. Input lag isn't noticeable (not to me, at least). I beat Resident Evil 7 on Luna and I'm half way through Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

          The Luna app + controller work great on Windows but I'd really like to have it running on Linux as the Luna Controller won't work naively via the web browser.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            While fedora is the best foss distro out there, their firefox build are stripped, cannot play drm media, i have to use official chrome for it.
            I use official Flatpak build from Flathub on Fedora like before on Ubuntu and I'm happy with it. I don't see a problems with DRM, VAAPI etc. (I use ffmpeg-full from Flatpak too, because without them I had problems to enable VAAPI).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by unic0rn View Post
              demo? i have over 145h and counting in cyberpunk 2077 alone on stadia, not counting quite a few other games i either don't have time to finish (countless rpgs and not only - and i'm talking only about AAA titles) or i haven't even started playing yet.

              works like a charm. started on linux, now using macos. works under chrome/chromium, you can use either keyboard + mouse or gamepad. i even bought gamesir x2 to use it with my phone, since sometimes it's better to get a break from big screen when you're sitting in front of it whole day.
              Yeah, I believe it, but (assuming you meet the internet requirements) its still very situational.

              Some human brains (including mine, unfortunately) have a low tolerance for input lag or video compression artifacts, while others seem to smooth it over completely. Same goes for microstutter, certain in game effects like flashing/strobing, banding, aliasing, film grain and so on. I get how some people will be perfectly satisfied with streaming, but based on my short Stadia test, my brain is incompatible with it. Heck, I can't even stand uneven frame delivery in video. Hence I would rather play CP2077 on bare-minimum settings (at 60+ FPS) locally than play it maxed on a streaming service.


              But I bet client-side processing can smooth that over someday. For instance, DLSS (or some analogue fit for mobile SoCs) trained on a specific service could absolutely smooth over compression artifacts and sharpen up blurry details, and a VR warping analogue could probably be implemented as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                So, is Chrome now the new IE? How come so many sites work only on Chrome, is it some sort of proprietary APIs that are only supported in Chrome?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  So, is Chrome now the new IE? How come so many sites work only on Chrome, is it some sort of proprietary APIs that are only supported in Chrome?
                  That's a good question!
                  Maybe in the future it'd be good to try with ungoogled-chromium instead.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    So, is Chrome now the new IE? How come so many sites work only on Chrome, is it some sort of proprietary APIs that are only supported in Chrome?
                    Its partially this: DRM support: Platform comparison - castLabs

                    Widevine itself is also complicated.

                    Fedora stripping some stuff out of Firefox may also contribute to Michael's issue.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X