Steam Will Now Flush Its Stale Shader Cache To Help Save Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Well how bad the cache stutter depends on the game. For some types of games (especially multiplayer) this can be game breaking (pun intended).

You don't want to have a massive stutter when you enter a new level on a multilayer game that causes you to die.
    I agree. However, that's something I can live with. It'd be nice if they had Per Game Steam Cache...a way to inform Steam not to bother with 3/4s of my digital hoarding.

Multilayer game....Are you making a game in Krita or GIMP...the cake is a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex

I don't often repeat myself, as it's usually a waste of effort, but you seem to mostly grasp it so...

You are exactly echoing my point. They didn't care before they brought a product to market with limited disk space. Now that they are trying to profit from the OSS graphics stack by bundling it with their hardware, they do care. Profit = caring. We want them to care. It's good for us. Hating on companies for being motivated to improve things for us is counterproductive. Hope that ties it up in a bow for you.
      Not quite.
      Yes, we want them to care, but my point is that they didn't care at all about "polluting your hard drives" till they needed to make profit from not doing it anymore.
      Of course this specific case is not a big deal, but the problem with closed (often proprietary) software lies exactly there; we can expect good code only as long as it favors their interests, which is true for everything, granted, but when there is a community of people contributing to that code, the interests are multiple, so the code is improved in multiple ways.
      Valve don't expect their users to leave his platform for a bunch of files left on their HDDs, but if the software were left open, i'm sure someone else would have already stepped in to fix the problem long time ago.

-EDIT-
      However, I think everybody agree that Valve has done a wonderful job in improving the linux graphic stack; it is a good thing when interests match, but there are cases where they just dont; Nvidia is a good example, just to mention one.

Last edited by kokoko3k; 07 February 2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

i want borderlands 3 stop to download every day more than 10GB of shader cache.
        all games has a small cache to download, but this game has a cache heavy like a full game, and every day i've a new shader cache to download

Comment

Working...
        X