Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Is Sponsoring More CI Testing For The Open-Source Radeon Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MuPuF View Post
    Indeed, and funnily-enough, the people making the hardware for DP certification are physically close to me, and we asked them if we could have open tests targeting their hardware but they were not thrilled by the idea. To them, what they deliver is a package (HW + SW) and they did not view our work with IGT with a good eye :s
    That the other problem. They don't want people possible releasing information that could lead to people making their own clone equal boxes. Yes this is very much the old Khronos Group vs early mesa3d.

In the end, we just improved the Chamelium support a lot. It allows checking most things, save DP-MST (limited testing possible), newer versions of DP/HDMI and HDCP.
    I guess these improvements are released somewhere or will be released somewhere.

I was considering making a new board myself, as a hobby project but sourcing existing DP/HDMI receivers is not the easiest due to HDCP. In the end, the best thing may be for us to use FPGAs as an HDMI/DP input, but as you say, this is years of work for a competent engineer!
    Yes this is another problem. Lot of ways a open hardware implementation of DP/HDMI where you can plug in your own HDCP keys would be useful. But yes this is a competent engineer problem and possible skilled legal team to claim reversed out of need.

Worst part about this is the solution is known. The problem is having the money and resources to push forwards past the parties that want to keep DP and HDMI certification a profit making gold mine.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      I guess these improvements are released somewhere or will be released somewhere.
      Sure, this has been in IGT and the chamelium upstream trees.

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      Worst part about this is the solution is known. The problem is having the money and resources to push forwards past the parties that want to keep DP and HDMI certification a profit making gold mine.
      Well, realistically, they wouldn't lose much money, since certification could only be achieved using these devices and licenses. Maybe they would lose a couple of sales on the hardware, but I doubt that. If they were interested in automated testing, they would have been more cooperative anyway. Maybe one day one architect somewhere will have a brilliant brand new idea, until then, companies will continue hiring tons of cheap labor to look at screens.

Comment

Well, realistically, they wouldn't lose much money, since certification could only be achieved using these devices and licenses. Maybe they would lose a couple of sales on the hardware, but I doubt that. If they were interested in automated testing, they would have been more cooperative anyway. Maybe one day one architect somewhere will have a brilliant brand new idea, until then, companies will continue hiring tons of cheap labor to look at screens.
        Reality here is companies don't employ tones of cheap labour to look at screens. Test with one screen/KVM and call it done ship it to customers and fix the issue when customers complain. Yes we see this with video card drivers even on Windows.

Yes it realistic that they will not lose money mesa3d vs Khronos Group shows that.

I would not say they are not interested in Automation of testing. They are not interested in the automated testing that suits open source development as it would be giving away there own automated tests.

Comment

Working...
        X