Valve Posts Updated Steam Deck FAQs To Address More Community Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Care to elaborate? Because both I and my son are frequently gaming. On a 20.04. The kernel is pretty much irrelevant (you get 5.11) with NVidia you should get the most recent driver via an "official" repository. Mesa comes at 21.0.3 (which isn't exactly a showstopper) and if you really need more recent drivers - kisak's Mesa repo with 21.3 is not exactly rocket science to integrate.
    I guess Ubuntu is flexible enough that you can install the latest mainline kernel, Mesa, wine staging etc and then you are mostly up to speed with new features seen in rolling distros, any issues though which require Valve to fix, you'd probably have to move back to default config for official support. To Elaborate further, Im referring to an issue where CSGO is broken out of the box on most distros and a guy has suggested that everyone should use Ubuntu LTS if they want proper support for issues https://github.com/ValveSoftware/csg...ment-981194150

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

AFAIK current SteamOS is Debian based. Steam Client is well supported on a lot of distros. Most likely deb pkg ist the "Native" distribution format. SteamOS 3.0 will be arch based. So rpm becomes more likely their "native" pkg? On the otherhand the toolchain for building Proton - Steam Runtime Soldier whatever is based on a very old Ubuntu Version.
    TIL.. Sort of suggests that they would still have to maintain the current deb package given the current number of existing users on debian based distros (looking at Pop_OS)
    Last edited by gfunk; 30 November 2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      extensions require application support, layers don't
      Which only proves my point, that despite layers "not requiring app support" (they kinda do, you need to opt in [1]), still pretty much everything is implemented as extensions, like it or not facts are stubborn things.

[1] Quote from the Vulkan tutorial:
      Just like extensions, validation layers need to be enabled by specifying their name. All of the useful standard validation is bundled into a layer included in the SDK that is known as VK_LAYER_KHRONOS_validation.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
        TIL.. Sort of suggests that they would still have to maintain the current deb package given the current number of existing users on debian based distros (looking at Pop_OS)
        I was asking my self the same question. Everything till now is build around a debian (ubuntu) ecosystem. Sure there are a lot of Arch gamers out there but how much of them are using the the valve toolchains?

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post

To Elaborate further, Im referring to an issue where CSGO is broken out of the box on most distros and a guy has suggested that everyone should use Ubuntu LTS if they want proper support for issues https://github.com/ValveSoftware/csg...ment-981194150
          Understood, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Which only proves my point, that despite layers "not requiring app support" (they kinda do, you need to opt in [1])
            steam runtime will opt in for all apps
            Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            , still pretty much everything is implemented as extensions
            because pretty much everything requires app cooperation. if valve wants to implement something for all apps, it could be simpler to use layer than extension(with emphasis on could)

Comment

Working...
            X