No announcement yet.

Valve Shares New Steam Deck Details, Proton Update Available For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried out ChimeraOS. I'm not sure what tweaks they do but the performance in terms of stutter was absolutely stellar. I ran it from a HDD and it loaded smoother (not faster) than my NVMe based Manjaro or Arco's did. I tested over 36 games. Every single one ran like butter smooth, peak FPS was sometimes a bit lower in benchmarks but the game play was way better. I also tested vs xanmod and intel clear kernels. NONE got close to the smoothness of Chimera.

I wish I knew what tweaks they did so my Arch and Manjaro installs can run as nicely. EG With ORI The loading screen stutters and sometimes the "intros" (NVMe based). With Chimera (HDD) loading animations (rendered type) and intros had 0 stutters, it was even better than Windows so I'm really looking forward to SteamOS 3.
    Last edited by dfyt; 15 November 2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

the worst thing valve did was not using ubuntu and going with debian and now this? Some decisions by this devs are... no word, using unstable systems in a gaming console when the gamers who want is a stable system who never changes and everything always work as before... I will see this project become a windows again when people upgrade their system and everything breaks

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        the worst thing valve did was not using ubuntu and going with debian and now this? Some decisions by this devs are... no word, using unstable systems in a gaming console when the gamers who want is a stable system who never changes and everything always work as before... I will see this project become a windows again when people upgrade their system and everything breaks
        Reason why Valve tried debian over Ubuntu is quality issues inside Ubuntu repositories. ostree style update system have run by different distributions for quite some time now be this fedora silverblue or Endless OS or many others.

OSTree (or libostree), also known as the "Git for operating system binaries", is a new and modern approach to develop and maintain complete filesystem trees ...

There is no such thing as a half done update under ostree system. Windows and common Linux distributions you can have a half done update. Why with ostree you have to have got all the the changes to move to the next snapshot/commit point before you boot into the new snapshot/commit. Also the versioned tree model of ostree means that if a person wants to lock there system at a particular certified version because it working better for them they can because multi commit versions are stored.

Yes the old ubuntu and debian attempts at steam os where having the habit of have some of the bad behaviours windows had when applying updates got distrupted.

Gamers do want updates that improve performance as well. So the idea they want never changes is wrong. Of course that gamers want updates is where things do get a little tricky like how to avoid half done updates.

The layout I suspect steam os 3 is going todo is update failure will auto fix next boot by returning to prior working version.

Yes steam os 3 will be a good test for how much stability immutable root file system solution can give.

Please do remember games provided by steam use steam runtime for most things not the host OS runtime that boots up the system.

Comment

Originally posted by dEnigma View Post
          No need to be so rude
          sorry

Comment

I keep seeing OSTree being mentioned, which would be awesome. I daily drive it on silverblue, but is ther actually any evidence of that? All they said was that they had an "immutable root file system". In addition to that they mentioned a "dev" mode that supposedly turns off restrictions imposed by the immutable root. Can OSTree even do that?

Comment

Working...
            X