Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Continues Improving Its Shader Pre-Caching Support, Other Beta Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Continues Improving Its Shader Pre-Caching Support, Other Beta Improvements

Phoronix: Steam Continues Improving Its Shader Pre-Caching Support, Other Beta Improvements

A new Steam client beta is out with a few Linux enhancements worth noting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be hard to support Wayland in the desktop client ui too?

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
      Yes, they use their custom proprietary toolkit and either don't care or have much more important things to do for now.

Comment

I wish CS:GO would work again. After updating to Ubuntu 21.10 it won't launch anymore, the other games are fine.

Comment

With all the nice work they are putting in the open source stack, I'm wondering if the Steam client could itself be open sourced at some point...

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
            Well, the Steam Deck is apparently using Wayland, so who knows what that may lead to.

Comment

These updates sound good, I'm quite tired of waiting 10 minutes for Vulkan shaders to be processed before launching a game and then 20 minutes afterwards for the Steam cloud to synchronize.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Yes, they use their custom proprietary toolkit and either don't care or have much more important things to do for now.
                I wish they'd rewrite the client with a cross-platform toolkit, like Qt or FOX.

Comment

Originally posted by CFWhitman View Post

Well, the Steam Deck is apparently using Wayland, so who knows what that may lead to.
                  Unless the client will use XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Unless the client will use XWayland.
                    I believe that it does use XWayland for now. The point was that the Steam Deck using Wayland could lead to something else in the future. It's just a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X